Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef dish for a crowd

• 19-11-2017 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Could any of you foodie people pease suggest a delicious one pot beef dish for a party of about 20. I need help badly. Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Guiness stew is always a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Beef bourguignon with mashed potatoes and maybe a green vegetable on the side (green beans).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Beef and guinness stew with creamy mash - yum!!!

I use the avoca recipe http://fiddleheadsfood.weebly.com/uploads/9/7/4/6/9746562/avoca_cafes_beef__guinness_stew.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

My family favourite for get-togethers is a Beef Massaman curry. You can slow cook it in the oven in a casserole dish or a slow cooker. Make a large pot of Thai Jasmine Rice to go with it and it's delicious. If you want exact recipe let me know. It's a lot easier than it sounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Beef Stew, Beef Bourgignon, Beef Curry, Beef Stroganoff.

Beef Stew can be all one pot, including the potatoes. The others, I'd do mash on the side with green veg for the Bourgignon and then some sort of rice with salad for the Curry or Stroganoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A classic beef stew like a boeuf bourgignon would hit the spot. Serve with lots of creamy mash, maybe garlicky mash.

RachelDDD wrote: »
    My family favourite for get-togethers is a Beef Massaman curry. You can slow cook it in the oven in a casserole dish or a slow cooker. Make a large pot of Thai Jasmine Rice to go with it and it's delicious. If you want exact recipe let me know. It's a lot easier than it sounds!
    Could you either post your recipe, or PM it to me please? It sounds delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Peposo. Easy, very few ingredients, delicious and slow cooker friendly.

Serve it over polenta or buttery mash with a simple side salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The Beef and Guinness Stew that is in the Avoca cookbook is easy to make, delicious and satisfying, can be made the day before and reheated (even better!) and I've made it for twenty people, quite easy.

With tasty mashed potato or French bread, can't go wrong.

• Advertisement

Day Lewin wrote: »
    The Beef and Guinness Stew that is in the Avoca cookbook is easy to make, delicious and satisfying, can be made the day before and reheated (even better!) and I've made it for twenty people, quite easy.

With tasty mashed potato or French bread, can't go wrong.
    Oh yes, twice as nice (at least) the next day when it's had time for all the flavours to meld! And I usually do new potatoes in it as well, so it's really a one-pot wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Beef and guinness stew with creamy mash - yum!!!

I use the avoca recipe http://fiddleheadsfood.weebly.com/uploads/9/7/4/6/9746562/avoca_cafes_beef__guinness_stew.pdf

It's actually very easy to make. I think the trick is to marinade the meat for as long as possible. I usually do it the night before and don't cook until the following afternoon. I have been using a Thai Massaman paste called "Thai Gold". I get it in Dunnes Stores but I'm sure all good supermarkets stock it. To cook for 6-8 people I would use the whole jar and mix it with 3 packets of really good quality steak pieces. Heat some oil (vegetable, olive or whatever your preference) and fry a couple of large onions in a large pot. Once golden, add the beef pieces & marinade. Cook until starting to brown and then remove from heat. Add 2 cans of coconut milk (I use Thai Gold as its really thick & creamy). Obviously you can half the amount depending on quantity you are cooking for. Then add juice of a lime, 6-8 kaffir lime leaves, cinnamon stick, 1-2 tbsp of tamarind, 1 tbsp of palm or brown sugar, 1 tbsp of fish sauce. Then pop in the oven on about 160 for a couple of hours. An hour before eating, i add some potatoes cut into quarters. Finally garnish off with chopped coriander and crushed peanuts. The rice is Tesco's Thai Rice which I make in a rice cooker - sometimes grate the peel of the lime for a bit of zing. It sounds like a hell of a lot of ingredients but you will hopefully love it and end up using them over and over. Lots of great recipes for this online, but I have just found this recipe works well for me. Enjoy :) Forgot to say I love spicy food so would put a couple of red chillis in that and also a side dish to garnish on top for anyone who likes an extra kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Thanks so much everyone. I'll have to do some test cooking now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A small warning ... If you do cook it ahead of time and reheat be careful and do it very slowly. It's one thing warming up couple of portions, but a big pot with 20 portions is a different kettle of fish and it's very easy to burn the bottom of the pan. I know ... I've done it myself!

Advertisement