Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the average tenure in a private rental?

Options
  • 19-11-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Folks, many people may never buy a house in their lifetime. So does anyone know how long a the average private tenure is nowadays? I don't think I know anyone longer than 6 years in a private house. If this is the case, than clearly our private rental sector is not fit for purpose, and we need more public housing for long term tenants (aka mostly families, disabled, the elderly, and the over 45's)

If anyone has any articles with figures regarding this (or even anecdotally) I'd be mighty obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can only speak from personal experience. My current rental is over 3 years and before that it was 8, 5, 2 and 3. I’ve always had good relationships with my landlords.

It would be interesting to see how that compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

1 year each per year of college but once I commenced working, It was 2 years, 14 months, 9 months, 8 months, 6.5 years and 4 years in my current home. I’ve bought a house but still going through conveyancing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I've averaged 4-5 years in my last 4 tenancies and currently looking to buy for the last 18 months. Wishing now I bought last year the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We've been in our place for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Current apartment 8 going on 9 years. Previous house, 7 years. Apartment before that, I think about 4. House share before that, about 4.

(I'd be rightly screwed if prospective landlords wanted references from three previous ones!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I know a girl who moved into her apartment in 2004 and now in 2017 still lives there with her husband and three children. The bizarre thing she actually owns a house but it's not where she wants to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it will depend on what stage of life you are at and where college and work takes you relative to your parent's home.

14 years and still here.
    4 years
    1 year
    1 year
    2 years
    6 weeks - don't live with the landlord's paranoid daughter.
    2 years
    4 months (sister's house)
    3.5 months (sister's house)

Advertisement