Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed at Amazon holding up free delivery orders to combine them.

Options
  • 19-11-2017 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I had a Solid State HDD on order with free delivery and its been "Preparing for dispatch" since Friday over 2 days ago. No problem I can wait.

Now on Sunday I order a few small things to make a separate order again free postage. Before I clicked to pay I check the status of the HDD its still Preparing for dispatch.

So I click and pay for the new order and guess what the HDD status changes to Not yet dispatched.

This has happened to me before and all the items will be bundled into one delivery slowing up the first order :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Simple solution: don't place a second order while the first one is still pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont see what the problem is, they gave you the option to pay for priority and super priority (in some cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ED E wrote: »
    Dont see what the problem is, they gave you the option to pay for priority and super priority (in some cases).

They offer free delivery for an order. Two orders are exactly that two orders.

If it wasn't then why don't they combine one initial free order thats not been dispatched with one that would qualify for free delivery but is under £25 pound but when combined with the first would also be free?

coylemj wrote: »
    Simple solution: don't place a second order while the first one is still pending.

Simpler was to set up another account rather than wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are you sure they're combining them? They never do with mine. Separate orders, with free delivery, even if they're dispatched on the same day, are always separate.

It's also not unusual for an order (with free delivery) placed at the end of a week taking a few days to dispatch. But it has still never been combined with another.

I also find that an order delayed by a few days seems to get send by a faster delivery method once it is finally dispatched. Lately it's often even arrived next day after dispatch, by courier, for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I'm a member of Amazon since 2010 and bought sh!t loads of stuff from them over the years. I don't think I've ever seen any of my orders going from 'preparing for dispatch' back to 'not yet dispatched.'
    Usually as soon as it hits 'preparing for dispatch,' thats when they take the money from my card. I just hope they don't get into this type of thing as they're usually bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just the tip of the iceberg in Amazons overall grand plan to make as many people subsribers to prime and similar.

Since prime launched they are without a doubt putting free delivery orders right at the bottom of the pecking order, far beyond where logistically they need to be to encourage people to pay the extra for priority or prime.

Plenty of products gone to prime exclusive, again to encourage you to go for it.
    Prime priority access to deals.

We are only seeing the begining of a major push to turn us all into subsribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I wish I had that problem! For me, it's always (100%) the opposite: I ask them to send everything in one package, but they send me a message later that day or the next telling me that, in order to give me the best possible service, they're splitting the order and sending each item as it becomes available. :mad:

The last time they did that, I ended up with one item left in my work-place letterbox (for which I had no key), another left with a local shop (it took a good half hour for my work colleagues to agree about which one the docket referred to, then another half hour to figure out where it was on google maps) and the third one delivered into my own hands ... which, of course, is why I wanted the three things bundled together.

I'm a member of Amazon since 2010 and bought sh!t loads of stuff from them over the years. I don't think I've ever seen any of my orders going from 'preparing for dispatch' back to 'not yet dispatched.'
    Usually as soon as it hits 'preparing for dispatch,' thats when they take the money from my card. I just hope they don't get into this type of thing as they're usually bang on!

Strange thing was that I checked the status about an hour later after I'd cancelled the second order and reordered with another account the first order had gone back to preparing for dispatch.

I have had orders made on the same day combined in the past and this time thought after two days the first order would have been far enough through the process not to be combined with the later order.

Just checked back through my past orders and my first Amazon order was July 1999.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JohnC. wrote: »
    Are you sure they're combining them? They never do with mine. Separate orders, with free delivery, even if they're dispatched on the same day, are always separate.

It's also not unusual for an order (with free delivery) placed at the end of a week taking a few days to dispatch. But it has still never been combined with another.

I also find that an order delayed by a few days seems to get send by a faster delivery method once it is finally dispatched. Lately it's often even arrived next day after dispatch, by courier, for free.

Never did it on me, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i wish there was a button to force them to hold back until all items were ready. Parcel motel have been coining it in on my multi deliveries from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just the tip of the iceberg in Amazons overall grand plan to make as many people subsribers to prime and similar.

Since prime launched they are without a doubt putting free delivery orders right at the bottom of the pecking order, far beyond where logistically they need to be to encourage people to pay the extra for priority or prime.

Plenty of products gone to prime exclusive, again to encourage you to go for it.

It wouldn't be too bad if they sorted prime delivery for Ireland. I used the trial recently and the free delivery option was gone for Ireland. I ordered 3 products and thought seeing as I'm getting free next day UK delivery I might as well send them to address pal. But then they sent them in 3 different deliveries so I had to pay An Post 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Wheety wrote: »

It wouldn't be too bad if they sorted prime delivery for Ireland. I used the trial recently and the free delivery option was gone for Ireland. I ordered 3 products and thought seeing as I'm getting free next day UK delivery I might as well send them to address pal. But then they sent them in 3 different deliveries so I had to pay An Post 3 times.
    I did this and sent them an email giving out and they refunded all 3 addresspal collection receipts . This was worth almost as much as the 3 books I'd ordered.
    I also pointed out the stupidity of sending 3 books separately 'as they're ready'. What a waste of cardboard for a start

I wish I had that problem! For me, it's always (100%) the opposite: I ask them to send everything in one package, but they send me a message later that day or the next telling me that, in order to give me the best possible service, they're splitting the order and sending each item as it becomes available. :mad:
    i wish there was a button to force them to hold back until all items were ready. Parcel motel have been coining it in on my multi deliveries from amazon.

Even if all of the goods you order are 'fulfilled by Amazon' and you tell them to bundle them into as few packages as possible, the goods can still ship from different fulfilment centres in which case they will arrive as separate deliveries and cost you more with PM :mad:

As with other posters, I have never had the opposite experience where different orders were packed into one delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I ordered 3 items on amazon on friday, just to get to free delivery on 1. There was an option to group all together or send when ready -which said could incur fees.

Today I got a dispatch notice they are sending the one I need urgently now, and this is not costing more -I had ticked the box to send all in 1 package.

I did not want my things delayed so I was careful to select things sold by amazon, not just "fulfilled" ones -which may get free delivery but I guess are at risk of delay.

rubadub wrote: »
    Today I got a dispatch notice they are sending the one I need urgently now, and this is not costing more -I had ticked the box to send all in 1 package.

Yes, it won't cost you extra if they decide to ship some of the goods early. The benefit is lost however if you have to pay PM an extra €3.95 for a separate delivery you don't want.

Amazon understand the issue but they insist on shipping early to suit themselves. They won't put a flag on Irish accounts to indicate that the customer preference is for 'no early shipment if I tick the box to bundle everything into one delivery'.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I did not want my things delayed so I was careful to select things sold by amazon, not just "fulfilled" ones -which may get free delivery but I guess are at risk of delay.

Surely 'fulfilled by Amazon' means it comes from an Amazon distribution centre so it's going to make no difference (in terms of delivery) whether the seller is Amazon or a third party?

Advertisement