Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter problem

Options
  • 19-11-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone can assist by way of knowledge and advice.

I recently purchased an apartment in Dublin and have been renovating it for the last few months and getting it ready to rent. I set up an electricity account with Electric Ireland and the apartment has night time storage heaters which I have mainly left off and a day and night time electricity meter.

I have a tenant moving in today and over the last 24 hours have been making final preparations. I set the heaters to come on yesterday evening so that they would be charged today and I took a meter reading.

I have compared it to a meter reading I have taken this evening and then compared it to a meter reading that I took when I set up the account. I have noticed that the day time electricity meter reading has not moved at all in the last few months. This suggests to me that the meters are stuck on the night time meter.

Additionally, I noticed that the storage heaters were very warm today and appear to be charging constantly (the disk at the meter is spinning at a nice pace). I don’t have much experience with storage heaters and do not seem to have any access to a timer or panel of any sort. The only controls on the heaters are standard input/output knobs.

Is it possible that the storage heaters are linked into the night time meter and come on when they are switched on and the night time meter kicks in?

That would mean with my current situation where the night time meter is staying on 24 hours a day that the storage heaters are going to be charging 24 hours a day when they are switched on.

I noticed that the night time meter jumped 76 units in 24 hours between yesterday evening and today which would be approx €5.70 a day or €342 over 60 days just for heating.

Who would be best placed to look at the meters? My problem is that I was due to ring Electric Ireland tomorrow to close my account so that the tenants could set up an account in their name with a supplier of their choice.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Contact ESB Networks and quote your MPRN number (this is on your bill). Explain your situation and they will sort you out.

Advertisement