Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

valet that caused damage

Options
  • 19-11-2017 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

hi,
    can anybody tell me if there is any come back on getting a valet that has left the car damaged??
    do they have to fix the damage or is it just tough luck with these places?

my friend just got a full valet done today from 2-6oclock. it was dark when we got back to the car but it looked ok at first. there were a few little things that were not perfect but it looked clean enough(even though her car wasn't too bad in the first place).

anyway, the big issue is the paint work outside. I thought when we got home that there was residue left all over the car, but it turned out when we put a phone torch to the car, that it was the paint work chipped off all over the bonnet and around the sides too. her car 100% didn't have any of them before the valet and there are loads of them. i'm dreading for her to see it in day light tomorrow:(

can anything be done now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

How can you be 100% sure of condition beforehand?

Was it inspected earlier this morning?

Also, shining a light in darkness will show up a lot more imperfections than normal daylight.

Frankly I think you are getting worked up over nothing and thoughts are on overdrive - how could a simple car wash cause the damage you claim on the car and seems not on other cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I can be sure because she forever checking her car for scratches, so she knows exactly what it looks like all over.

when the light was on the car you can very clearly see all the little chips on the car. they can be felt too.

neither of us looked too closely at the outside at the time because she was more concerned with checking certain things on the inside. it was only at home as I was walking off that I noticed what I thought was residue marks, until we looked closer.

I don't know much about cars so I don't know what they used but it wasn't a simple wash, it was a full valet with buff(?) and tar removel(?) and I don't know what else.

what other cars are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Sounds really strange..
    You valeted a car that wasn't really dirty
    When you collected it after 4 hours you noticed issues. Why didn't you say anything after paying? After a valet it should be pristine.
    When you got home the paint was off the car?

What year and what kind of car is this?

she bought the car two months ago and just wanted it to be fresh for herself as it was new(ish) for her.

2009 civic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

take a pic tomorrow and post it for us to see the 'damage'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This must be the only car in history which doesn't have some chipped paintwork on the front of the bonnet and wheel arches, they must have some seriously smooth roads where you live.

8 years old and no chipped paintwork? Bet the seller polished it up before selling.

Have you considered that the chipped paintwork in more visible now that the car has been cleaned and polished?

no problem re: 'the damage'

she bought the car two months ago and just wanted it to be fresh for herself as it was new(ish) for her.

2009 civic

ah
    now we are getting somewhere

I bet this is its first real clean.
    car dealers are known for using waxes and polishes with fillers. these will cover up a nice bit .

no problem re: 'the damage'

I'm not that quick to blame the valeter. lots of other causes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

A bad wash might cause swirls marks but not chips to the paint, it’s nearly 9 years old, I’d be surprised if there were no chips on it before the valet. Sometimes a dirty car will hide paint imperfections, I doubt they caused the damage.

• Advertisement

ah

car dealers are known for using waxes and polishes with fillers. these will cover up a nice bit .

yes we are getting somewhere now;) thanks for that. maybe that could be what happened??
    I will mention it to her as a possibility. thanks:)

ah

actually just on that point again. could she maybe get a wax and polish herself again to sort it out (if indeed it wasn't actually caused by anything the valet done) instead of needing a whole paint job?

sorry, i don't know about cars..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes definitely filler polishes. It can look like crap when the filler comes off with a good clean..

You could get it refilled.

davo10 wrote: »
    This must be the only car in history which doesn't have some chipped paintwork on the front of the bonnet and wheel arches, they must have some seriously smooth roads where you live.

8 years old and no chipped paintwork? Bet the seller polished it up before selling.

Have you considered that the chipped paintwork in more visible now that the car has been cleaned and polished?

yes davo, i am now considering it:D

thanks a lot everyone for that. she was so upset earlier and I didn't know what to say to her.

I will let her know what was mentioned here.

really appreciate it
    thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Hard to believe a 8 year old daily driver wouldn't have stonechips but it's very unlikely a valet would cause stonechips. I'd assume the stone chips were probably just touched up with a bit of paint before and from using chemicals on the paintwork it more than likely removed that touch up paint leaving the exposed stone chips

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Hard to believe a 8 year old daily driver wouldn't have stonechips but it's very unlikely a valet would cause stonechips. I'd assume the stone chips were probably just touched up with a bit of paint before and from using chemicals on the paintwork it more than likely removed that touch up paint leaving the exposed stone chips

yes, it seems I have a lot to learn.
    I am a new driver myself and was hoping to get my own car done after christmas, and today was not very encouraging for me:eek:

and i'm blaming my friend now for not realising this. she is driving 10years:rolleyes:

pop over to the car detailing section . they will give lots of advice

pop over to the car detailing section . they will give lots of advice

I will for anything in the future with my own car, thanks a lot:)

(I certainly know who I wont be asking any car advise from:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

Also as an ex Civic owner 2007 model. That cars bonnet is renowned for paint chips. Honda were actually called out by a report in which it was claimed that the amount of paint used on the bonnet was below industry standard. Hence the reason for the paint chipping so badly on the bonnet.

j14 wrote: »
    Also as an ex Civic owner 2007 model. That cars bonnet is renowned for paint chips. Honda were actually called out by a report in which it was claimed that the amount of paint used on the bonnet was below industry standard. Hence the reason for the paint chipping so badly on the bonnet.

interesting.

it's actually her second civic. i'm not sure if she ever had any problems with paint on the last one and she had had it for maybe 6years, but i'll pass that on thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Did you manage to take a photo. Would love to see what it looks like in the daylight.

tedpan wrote: »
    Did you manage to take a photo. Would love to see what it looks like in the daylight.

not yet tedpan, in work at the min. i'll ask her to take pictures before it gets dark..

Advertisement