Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 20-11-2017 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was initially wanting to put down a pyracantha hedge around my front gate (post and rail, set in the country) as an alternative to Holly as I just can't wait that long!

However, I would like to mix it up a bit. I'm not looking for the "perfect" hedge, just something that suits the country side but doesn't look wild.

I was thinking of going with white-thorn/pyracantha mix. Seem to have similar growth rates. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do you need the thorns for some practical purpose? i.e. security/livestock?

Futureforests have some interesting hedge mixes.

http://www.futureforests.net/br_mix_hedging.htm

They suggest adding holly to keep some leaves in winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 emmetdoc1991

If you need fast growing one that will stay evergreen and remain dense, then a laurel r Portuguese laurel or golden privet would be ideal,

just be very careful in terms of putting in bare root, the roots are torn from the ground and are not all established in some cases, some will die off, where as others will not come good at all.
    try your best to get potted hedging, as the roots are well established and remain protected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another fast growing option that can be attractive is fuschia. Downside is that it is fast growing enough to require regular trimming and the wood is very soft soft no real use as a defensive hedge. On the plus side, the late flowers are attractive and good for pollinating insects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 emmetdoc1991

Yes can be

But is highly unlikely to stand up to any tough frosts,

the Portuguese laurel is very attractive and incredibly tough against frost

Yes can be

But is highly unlikely to stand up to any tough frosts,

the Portuguese laurel is very attractive and incredibly tough against frost

I have one in a place I've owned for over ten years that was we'll established when i bought the place and had no issues. Possibly comes down to drainage and location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

smacl wrote: »
    I have one in a place I've owned for over ten years that was we'll established when i bought the place and had no issues. Possibly comes down to drainage and location.

Fuchsia by the sea seems fine from what I have seen but further inland it can get knocked back by hard frost. Good distance from the sea myself so the fuchsia I have need to re-sprout with fresh growth each spring and don't look great over winter. One I had newly planted even was killed completely last winter. Another that I got from a hedge on the Aran islands seems a good bit more vigorous than some of the other types. There must be some varieties more tolerant of frost than others but I would be slow to trust it for a hedge unless your garden is some way protected from hard frosts in winter.
    I don't see anything wrong with the idea of a hawthorn and pyrachanta hedge once you are prepared for the thorns that should make it fairly impenetrable. There are pyrachantha with red berries and ones with orange berries and I think the red varieties make a nicer display in winter.

Pyrachantha would certainly be my choice and well worth the longer wait to achieve maturity. As you say, attractive with flowers and berries, evergreen, and tough as nails forming a fantastic defensive hedge. We have briar roses growing through ours which add a few extra random pink flowers for a lovely effect. Funny enough we tried planting some spotted laurel in the same garden and had no joy with it.

Advertisement