Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashed, next steps for insurance?

Options
  • 20-11-2017 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Crashed into the back of someone at the weekend. Only a bit of paint damage to her car. We swapped insurances. What do I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

lukesmom wrote: »
    Crashed into the back of someone at the weekend. Only a bit of paint damage to her car. We swapped insurances. What do I do now?

Wait for your next insurance quote to go through the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Notify your Insurance ASAP.
    Wait for the Registered letter from their Solicitor.
    Take photos of any marks on your car.

Edit, perhaps I'm being judgemental, they may be sound and just look for just the price of fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

She text me this morning (the other driver) to say the car is being assessed by a local garage this afternoon. She asked me how do I want to proceed. She also said she has been on pain meds since for her neck and has a doctor's appointment today after taking the day off work! I honestly can't understand how her neck is sore it was such a minor impact only damage done to her car is paint work in a few places no dents etc. What does this mean? Am I in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

lukesmom wrote:
    She text me this morning (the other driver) to say the car is being assessed by a local garage this afternoon. She asked me how do I want to proceed. She also said she has been on pain meds since for her neck and has a doctor's appointment today after taking the day off work! I honestly can't understand how her neck is sore it was such a minor impact only damage done to her car is paint work in a few places no dents etc. What does this mean? Am I in trouble

If this is the case I'd tell her to proceed through the insurance. That's what you pay them for and it sounds like she's chancing get arm for a personal injury claim too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This means they will be in for a huge pay day.

Your insurance will be going up and they will do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Not in trouble, but she will probably be claiming for a neck injury. Let your insurance deal with it , ring them and it all goes between her and your insurance company.
    Your renewal quote will substantially increase.
    Did you admit responsibility and were guards called or other witnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Whether you believe it was low impact or whatever the issue is you made contact and from behind.

All one has to do is claim they were injured in some way or the next day and it is near impossible to prove otherwise.

Guards were called but she rang them back and told them not to bother coming on advice from her partner. Only other witness was my teenage son in with me in the car.

After it happened she said 'maybe I should call the guards because you never know what could happen down the line. I said yes go ahead. Then she did but changed her mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

She's looking for a pay day. Your insurer will give her 30K go away money and you will pay through the roof for the next half decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

ED E wrote: »
    She's looking for a pay day. Your insurer will give her 30K go away money and you will we will all pay through the roof for the next half decade.
    Fixed that for you.

Something must be done to stop the whiplash culture. Motor insurance prices in this country are ridiculous. 49 here, the missus 46, full NCB, driving 31 and 28 years respectively with no claims in the past 25 years, and we're looking at getting a 1.2 petrol to keep insurance costs down. Back in the UK I paid £200 fully comp on a 2L diesel van, £230 fully comp on a 2.8 Fiat Ducato based motorhome with 365 day EU cover, and a few years back paid £300 fully comp on a Golf GTI. Here I'm looking at paying over €600 to insure a 1.2 Skoda Fabia.

:(

EDIT: To the OP. Could you tell her you have dash cam footage that shows it was a very minor impact and if she is thinking about a fraudulent compensation claim, you will report it to the guards. With that in mind, ask her to get quotes to have the damage repaired without going through the insurance and offer €250 extra for her inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, if anything looks dodgy (and it kinda does) then go through insurance. That's what they are there for.

My car doesn't have a valid nct I'm screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

My car doesn't have a valid nct I'm screwed

Your insurance won't cover it then as technically the car shouldn't have been on the road.

You need to contact a solicitor ASAP.

Why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

davo2001 wrote: »
    Your insurance won't cover it then as technically the car shouldn't have been on the road.

You need to contact a solicitor ASAP.

Go get advice but ...... if you are with Liberty insurance they will cover it. Liberty require the car to be of roadworthy condition and does not stipulate a current NCT test.

Not sure on other insurers, and it's still good advice to contact solicitor. Don't panic regarding not be covered by insurance with lack of NCT just yet.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is it not the case that they'll cover the 3rd party damage but that they may seek to recoup the cost?

Yes I'm with liberty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Another whiplash victim looking for easy comp, no doubt the husband has apart to play in it (easy money for the christmas love we will be covered for it and maybe a nice holiday)

Should do what the UK does, only cover cost of medical treatment for whiplash and nothing else.
    Guarantee you will see whiplash claims drop by well over half

edit: best of luck OP, most insurance companies just roll over and pay out due to bringing the person to court would cost more then just giving them go-away money.

Expect your insurance to rise by probably 50percent (mine did yours may not) and to be paying it for at least 5 years while maybe getting a few quid knocked off it every year until then.

This still means your insurance will pay out for the third party. Just not for your vehicle.

They will manage the claim however it is a possiblity that they will bill you the payout. But at least you'll have them to mediate for the supposed neck injury

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

Sounds like she,s chancing her arm.

Contact your insurance and inform them what happened.

However when she realises insurance claims can be long drawn out affair with her going for tests on her neck including physio etc she may decide she,s not as bad as she thought she was.

Bottom line is don,t panic let the insurance deal with it and if she decides to just get the car repaired get a detailed report of the damage and check for quotes yourself.

I hit the back of a car before (small scratch in the guys old car)and he tried to screw me for 400 euro,i told him id give him 150 euro or he can ring his insurance company and let them deal with it,he knew and i knew he was chancing his arm so he took the 150.

The company will probably just settle with her, but be sure to insist that you're kept in the loop.
    I hit a woman's bumper about 10 years ago, again didn't actually mark her paint. She had 2 kids unsecured in the back seat, and a claim came in for mental stress, inability to sleep, underperformance at school etc etc. for one of them
    Her own doctor advised Calpol for a few nights, but the company settled with her for 12000 euro.
    As There was no physical effects, it couldn't be disputed or quantified.
    8 months later she came again with a claim for the other child. I lost the plot with the company and insisted they go to court this time instead of paying out. That was the end of the claim.
    One thing to avoid, if more than 10k is paid out for a claim against you, you won't get a new policy for another vehicle, should you buy an extra car etc.

So stressed out over it all. I could end up seriously out of pocket. I don't know what to do. She could end up having a 'sore neck' for god knows how long

• Registered Users Posts: 33 headoverheels

Is there any way you could afford the damage to the car yourself? Without going through your insurance.

I'm in the same boat had a minor accident last Friday morning minimal damage done to other car but destroyed my own due to a towbar.

I was advised not to go through my insurance if I could afford the damage however, I contacted by broker to just notify them of the accident and they said there could always be a chance she could claim even though I'm paying for the damage myself so it will be kept on my file.
    So basically I have no idea if my policy will be affected when it comes to renewing.

It makes you wonder what we pay car insurance at all if this is the case.
    Unfortunately, there are people out there that see making a claim as an easy way to make a quick buck.
    It's a stressful time for you I feel your pain.

You could easily get a solicitors letter warning up to pay up right away, to avoid extra costs etc.
    This will be a spoof, a real " chance your arm's effort.
    Refer it to your insurance company right away.

No because she rang the insurance company and put in the claim already today. So its game on. She has whiplash apparently which can be a very substantial payout. Wish the crash was on camera.

Insurance claims aren't quick payouts. They are so much body hassle to the third party. My car was hit whilst parked at my home address. My car was still assessed by the insurance to make sure it had a valid nct, tyre depth checked, damage photographed. I had so many arguments that the car skills be restored as new as it was new at the time and not just sanded down and repainted which would have voided the warranty on the likes of sensors etc. It took so much of my time. Phone calls back and forth and several trips to the garage as well as having to swap vehicles whilst mine was in for repair. With two small kids this is just a pain in the a**.

You have to wonder about people who use them as a quick payout. It takes so much time and energy. I'd have thought a cash settlement for minor damage more than reasonable. A whiplash claim will be investigated by your insurance. Though I would ensure you tell your insurance that she cancelled the guards etc. Did you take pictures of the damage at the time? To both vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This is the main reason why insurance has spiked in price over the last few years.

Good for nothing cnuts looking for an easy payout.

Some people in one breath will argue that insurance fraud is a victimless crime and that everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't they but in the next breath scream JOE DUFFY and cartel cos their premiums go up.

Absolute fcuking gougers and tbh I wish all the bad luck in the world on people like that. I hope they end up having a bad accident some day and have nobody to claim from.

Op, all you can do is let your insurer handle it.

The fact of the matter is that you hit her from behind, regardless of speed and in the absence of independent witnesses she will most likely get paid off.

Try and not worry about it too much, you are one of thousands that are in the exact same position unfortunately.

Advertisement