Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashed, next steps for insurance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It really is sh*t like this that would put you off driving :mad:

I hope everything works out for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Thanks all.
    Insurance rang me today and a claims assessor is coming to look at my own car tomorrow while I'm at college. He told me not to worry that they will be very thorough when looking at her car and as regards to her personal injury claim well its her word against theirs but they will obviously check it out. As luck would have it I left my phone at a play centre earlier in the day of the crash and it was locked in there for the night until I could get it sunday. So had no phone to take photos of her car and either had my son :( But....A guy I know happened to be walking past and stopped and saw the damage done and he took photos for me on his crappy phone but still its photos. I let him know today she's claiming whiplash and 700 euros worth of damage and he was pretty disgusted to be honest. He couldn't believe it. Fair enough if I'd have hit her car very hard and left it with dents or anything but its got scrapes of paint missing. Anyway I'll leave it up to the insurance companies but who knows how much my insurance is going to be come renewal time. Probably wont be able to afford it either so no car. Seriously people don't realise how this messes up other peoples insurances. I'm gonna pay through the neck. I told her I'd pay for repairs and that was agreed but she changed her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

€700 worth of damage could potentially have been done to her car even without dents. Paintwork can be expensive to repair depending on how many panels you hit or if you scratched a plastic bumper it needs to be replaced as there's little you can do to bring it back right.

But the whiplash claim sounds like bull and I hope the insurance assessor sees through it for your sake. Unfortunately though your premium will rise regardless of the amount paid out unless you had full or step back no claims protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If this was a low speed collision where whiplash is likely not true, will the assessor be looking at her seat and headrest position? Surely if it was all setup correctly you wouldn't get whiplash at low speeds?

Any incorrect seating position should have whiplash thrown out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Whiplash is what the claimants highly paid consultant says it is, end of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

lukesmom wrote: »
    Crashed into the back of someone at the weekend. Only a bit of paint damage to her car. We swapped insurances. What do I do now?

How old was her car?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whiplash is what the claimants highly paid consultant says it is, end of

The doctors signing off on the diagnosis of whiplash in cases later proved to be fraudulent need to be punished too, there should really be a register showing who confirmed diagnosis of each, I'd bet you would quickly see a certain pattern shall we say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

davo2001 wrote: »
    Your insurance won't cover it then as technically the car shouldn't have been on the road.

You need to contact a solicitor ASAP.

That's totally incorrect. An NCT can fail for many reasons that have nothing to do with safety. I should know as I had an accident with a car with an NCT out of date by 8 months (but had booked in for a test the following day).

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    How old was her car?

3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

That's totally incorrect. An NCT can fail for many reasons that have nothing to do with safety. I should know as I had an accident with a car with an NCT out of date by 8 months (but had booked in for a test the following day).
    Great point nct is note a safety test despite what people are led to believe,and it kinda tells us the nct is just a money making scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The doctors signing off on the diagnosis of whiplash in cases later proved to be fraudulent need to be punished too, there should really be a register showing who confirmed diagnosis of each, I'd bet you would quickly see a certain pattern shall we say ;)

Impossible.

Soft tissue injuries go like this:
    Does it hurt?
    Yes
    A lot?
    You are now diagnosed with whiplash

Cant be disproven, theres no XRay to show the damage. Only way to catch the fraud is to get them(the "Patient") to admit it on tape.

My insurance company rang me last week to say their assessor assessed the cost of fixing the damages to her vehicle at €148 even though she gave me an estimate for €700 from a local garage. This is last week. Then today I am greeted by a solicitors letter addressed to me. I've to admit liability within 10 days. She wants compensation and something about personal injury claim and seeking to take me to court. What a load of sh!te this is. I'm raging.

What should I do? Ring my insurance company in the morning. Then what. Wait? Ring a solicitor. Cannot believe I'm even writing this. If you saw the crash. Its unbelievable the lengths this person is going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

You let your insurance company deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You send that to your insurer and your only involvement from here in is to assist them with any queries they might have about the accident. You don't need a solicitor. Your insurer is obliged to keep you advised of any developments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

let your insurance company deal with it and wait for their directions in what to do next.
    Above all dont let it get to you,you paid your insurance so if you have an accident(which can happen to any body ,and it does)they will deal with it and help you along the way.
    It can be a frustrating and stressful thing to deal with but only if you allow it to be ,don,t get worked up over it ,its no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

You pay your insurance company to essentially act as your solicitor in these situations. So you forward the letter into them and let them handle it.

Was the crash in the republic? Because if it happened in the North I believe it is standard procedure to receive a solicitors letter out.

Advertisement