Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering as a Mature Student

Options
  • 20-11-2017 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I am currently doing a PLC Engineering course and I am a mature student in my 30s. I attended an unofficial open day in DIT last week which covered some of the aspects of the engineering courses offered there. Overall I was happy with what I heard and what I saw. I was hoping someone taking the course, or someone who has completed the course might give their honest opinion of the course and what I might expect if I choose it.

I am also putting serious consideration into the "Mechanical Engineering" or "Engineering With Management" courses at Trinity. I am not fully sure what I want to do yet. I have an interest in the energy sector, particularly renewables. The attraction to Trinity is the option to complete a Level 8 in four years and potentially a masters in 5. With DIT, the level 8 would take 5 years. I might only do a Level 7, but if I wanted to get to a level 8, it would be a kick in the head to have to do an extra 2 years when it could be achieved in 1 extra year in TCD.

The trouble is that I don't know if I am am prepared to put in the time to go beyond a Level 7 at my age, but I do want to have that option without it taking me into my 40s.

I would appreciate if anyone has any helpful suggestions.

A little about me.... My junior cert was nearly 20 years ago. Education was not really valued in my family. I am 34, married with kids. The OH is a civil servant and very much in support of education. I have mostly worked for myself and have been a self employed therapist for nearly 10 years. I closed my practice a year ago. I have a web design company I have run since 2015 which won't be making me any money because I have no time for it. I will support my existing customers and continue to host their sites is all. I seem to be good at woodwork, metalwork, technical drawing, autocad and anything customer services related. The maths and the electronic engineering (because of maths) is what I find challenging.

Advertisement