Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore for families

Options
  • 20-11-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

We're on the market for properties in Dublin and our budget is decent, but not extravagant. I'm working in the city centre and Inchicore has come up as an area where houses are still somewhat reasonably priced and is also up and coming. We have two young children and my wife is concerned about raising them 'in the city'. Are there any other families living in Inchicore who can tell us what it's like. Ideally we would have rented there before buying but unfortunately the rental market in Dublin doesn't accommodate that sort of flexibility. Bizarrely it can be cheaper to rent somewhere like Killiney where your average houses costs close to half a million than in Inchicore where they're stilll well under 400k... but that's another topic. Preferably would like to hear from 'blow ins' rather than people who grew up or lived their whole lives there as I think the perspective would be a bit different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

_brendand_ wrote: »
    We're on the market for properties in Dublin and our budget is decent, but not extravagant. I'm working in the city centre and Inchicore has come up as an area where houses are still somewhat reasonably priced and is also up and coming. We have two young children and my wife is concerned about raising them 'in the city'. Are there any other families living in Inchicore who can tell us what it's like. Ideally we would have rented there before buying but unfortunately the rental market in Dublin doesn't accommodate that sort of flexibility. Bizarrely it can be cheaper to rent somewhere like Killiney where your average houses costs close to half a million than in Inchicore where they're stilll well under 400k... but that's another topic. Preferably would like to hear from 'blow ins' rather than people who grew up or lived their whole lives there as I think the perspective would be a bit different.

I'm a Dublin 8 native and I know inchicore very well including many many blow-ins. There are pros and cons to inchicore. There's a fantastic Gaelscoil and it's viable to attend the educate together in D8. Otherwise all the schools in Inchicore are disadvantaged ( designated DEIS) with all the added resources and potential problems that are associated with DEIS. If you can get your kids into the right school there's a great community and you have all the advantages of city living on your doorstep, museums, parks, theatres, great transport links. However also some feral children and adults and junkies but they're mostly harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I've lived in Inchicore for a few years and just moved to Rialto - don't have children though. Overall I really like the area. Near to town, great playground that my niece loves, great public transport, decent shops/cafes and near to War Memorial Gardens and Phoenix Park. I would say, some parts of Inchicore probably more child friendly than others. Area has improved a lot over the past few years. However prices have rocketed - most of the house prices on daft/myhome are significantly less than what the house finally goes for. I suppose it partly depends on what other areas you were considering/comparing it with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I rented in inchicore for about 18 months. Considered buying there but after renting I decided against it. The feral kids are a real problem. My bike was robbed, car window was broken and my next door neighbor had their front door kicked in and burgled in them 18 months.

The Spar is a mad kip, seen horses in there and security guards having scraps with people at the front door. The feral kids fleece the place to.

I'm glad I didn't buy there. I grew up in council estates in Tallaght and Clondalkin so I wasnt sheltered growing up but Inchicore was definitely the worst place I lived in.

It's close to town which is great though and the parks are fantastic. The butchers is great there to.

Hopefully it's changed since I moved out in 2013 but if I were you I'd go hang around the area for a good bit and see if you are comfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

LG1234 wrote: »
    The Spar is a mad kip, seen horses in there and security guards having scraps with people at the front door. The feral kids fleece the place to.

Sorry, but how can you possibly support a ridiculous comment like this (or is it a typo?). I would say that the Spar is quite a well run shop, and better stocked than Tesco. The gang of local kids are a problem for them at the door, but I've never felt uneasy inside.

OP - I'm one of the "blow-ins" having bought here 10 years ago, though I don't have a family.
    - I would say that Inchicore is a very convenient location - you have easy access to the city centre (bus, luas, walking, driving) and quick access out to the Nass Road, M50 and mid-way between north and south Dublin.
    - We also have great facilities in terms of parks with the Phoenix Park, War Memorial Gardens and walks along the Liffey, Royal Hospital in Kilmainham, all great for walking, in addition to the children's playpark.

As mentioned one of the main problems in the area is the gang of local kids, some very young, who run uncontrolled around the place. As a parent you would not want your kids to get anyway involved, and would be worth your while ascertaining what school these kids attend (if they do...).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Sorry, but how can you possibly support a ridiculous comment like this (or is it a typo?).

Lived in Inchicore for a couple of years and can confirm the horses in Spar comment.

Thought it was a great location with regards working in the city and great for the two of us for a while but the traffic was a big problem for me. Had issues with local kids and there wasn't actually that much amenity wise in the locality for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lived in the area for 10 years and am a blow in. Have to say when I first moved in it was a bit of an eye opener especially around 2007 however I have to say it has improved a lot over the years. I enjoy living in the area these days. It is close to the city centre, Memorial Gardens, Phoenix Park and the Royal hospital. Public transport is excellent and it's no more then 10 -12 quid in a taxi on a Saturday night

As for the kids hanging around yes they are little brats but I haven't had any issues with them. I always do wonder how their parents let them get away with it. I think with the new Childrens hospital opening up soon close to there should I hope bring more professionals into the area that should give it a boost and thus maybe bring in some more decent restauraunts and bars etc...overall despite a few social issues it's not a bad place to live..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

I also live in Inchicore with husband and two young kids. they both go to the Oblates and I find it a fantastic school. We're living on inchicore road, we were originally living just off davitt road, sold our house and moved 10 mins down the road, and have to say it was the best move ever. We have really nice neighbors and have made some nice friends. The playground is across the road from us, nice restaurants and shops within walking distances, yes, there are a few dodgy characters around, but you will get them everywhere. There is a good public transport and we often get the luas. Its only 50 min walk into city centre. I love inchicore so I would say go for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cel982

We’re in the CIE estate in Inchicore which is lovely and quiet, great community spirit and never a hint of antisocial behaviour. The model school does have DEIS status, yes, but is very well-regarded by parents locally. Our estate would be one of the nicer parts of Inchicore, to be fair, but in general I think it’s a decent area overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pat.gb

Hello everyone.

I have lived in the city centre for about 15 years (The Liberties, Smithfield, Fairview, Phibsborough) yet I have never lived in Inchicore even if I know the area a little. I am considering buying around here and was wondering how the streets around Emmet Crescent and Thomas Davis st are at night? Like coming home from work in the city etc. There's a big park and a few schools which is nice during the day but wondering about coming home alone at night. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thomas Davis st is probably the worst street you could buy a house on in Inchicore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Worked there for 10 years and wouldn't live there. There are a serious amount of drug addicts in the area. The large Spar would constantly have problems with them. They know each other by name at this stage and would constantly be temporary bans on individuals. You would hear them arguing about their ban was lifted a week or a day early etc... The offices had lots of security but there were constant thefts and attempts on anything not nailed down.

I would a void even though there are some lovely houses and streets because the "village" centre was so rough during the day let alone at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I'm not from there but commuted through it for a few years. Would not live there.

Was always confused as to why people choose to live there over (cheaper) lower end of Ballyfermot or Palmerstown just few stops further down. THey're friendly, lots of supermarkets, schools, amenities, transport links are in some regards better. Check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Educate Together D8 is a fab school with plenty of well heeled parents. Lovely playground in Inchicore with similar mix of parents about anytime I am in with mine. A few nice coffee shops. Very close to War Memorial Gardens and Phoenix Park.

Advertisement