Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment for moving large amounts of stuff around garden

Options
  • 20-11-2017 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭

I have a periodic need (a couple of times a year, at least) for moving large amounts of stuff around the garden, e.g. several cubic metres of bark, mulch, logs etc.

Currently I do it by hand with a wheelbarrow, but this takes ages. The last time I had to move a few piles of wood chips it took me the best part of a day.

I'm wondering whether a trailer and some sort of electric dolly might work? I could also use the trailer to collect materials (e.g. mulch, bark, topsoil) from suppliers and dispose of green waste.

Don't really want a quad bike as I don't have secure storage for it.

Or should I just get over myself and continue with the wheelbarrow?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You've seen those large two wheeled barrows?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Get someone in for a day to do the heavy lifting. Plan ahead to get value out of them. If summer surely student could do with cash. Just confiscate their social media devices so the job gets done. Sent from my mobile device during work hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You've seen those large two wheeled barrows?
    Aha! I never knew they existed.

Like these?

https://www.triequestrian.ie/categories/pg_Wheelbarrows_

They go up to 500L but I wonder what the practical limit is for trundling garden stuff around...?

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Get someone in for a day to do the heavy lifting. Plan ahead to get value out of them
    I do that, the problem is that I'm paying them to spend half the day walking backwards and forwards with my tiny wheelbarrow :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »

Like these?

They go up to 500L but I wonder what the practical limit is for trundling garden stuff around...?
    dunno - unsurprisingly, i've seen them most at the stables my wife goes to for horseriding lessons. but they'd generally be relatively full i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Melodeon

We've had the 140 litre version of these here for a couple of decades at this stage, and it's indispensable for shifting large volumes of bulky stuff around the place:
    http://foxbros.ie/wheel-barrow.html

For general ground work/gardening etc, a two-wheeled barrow is a glorious thing!

Get one with pneumatic tyres and with the axle back partway under the payload.

The JFC ones should be available from pretty much any agristore/co-op shop:
    http://jfcagri.com/products/wheelbarrows/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Like these?

I recall seeing the large ones in racing yards being pushed around by six stone apprentice jockeys, literally all you can see are their fingers on the handles over their head as they come towards you.

The barrows are well designed so they're surprisingly easy to move, even when full with wet manure, as long as the surface is reasonably level and firm. Muck obviously is another story!

I recall seeing the large ones in racing yards being pushed around by six stone apprentice jockeys, literally all you can see are their fingers on the handles over their head as they come towards you.

The barrows are well designed so they're surprisingly easy to move, even when full with wet manure, as long as the surface is reasonably level and firm. Muck obviously is another story!
    Yeah, they look great for yards but my soil is easily compacted and so the relatively skinny tyres don't look ideal.

Something with wheels a bit more like this...? But doesn't look able to deal with a lot of weight. And the handle looks awkward. And it's only 0.1 cubic metre in volume.

http://www.beachwheelseurope.com/en/beach-carts/beach-cart

beach-cart-800px.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Like these?

I have the JFC 2 Wheel Tipping barrow on that page and it is really worth the money. You will struggle with a heavy load if you are not on a flat surface and a full load of just cut timber is hard work to push the 200m up our wet field (garden). In fact when really loaded I find it easier to pull. If you are on the flat on concrete or tarmac its a lot easier. I wouldn't fill it up with say 40kg bags of coal because of the high sides its a lot of effort to lift heavy stuff in and out if you aren't tipping it.

When it really comes into its own is stuff like hedge clippings, compost, weeds and even loads of grass from the lawn mower.

The tipping version tips like a normal barrow then the whole body hinges on front edge and goes upsidedown so its easy to empty.

One of the best things we ever got for the garden.

my3cents wrote: »
    Sold!

Managed to get it for €300 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sold!

Managed to get it for €300 delivered.

Thats a very good price think I paid €320 a couple of years ago.

Would you believe I bought it for my wife as a weeding anniversary present :D

Edit> Freudian slip there :( should of course been wedding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

my3cents wrote: »

Like these?

I have the JFC 2 Wheel Tipping barrow on that page and it is really worth the money. You will struggle with a heavy load if you are not on a flat surface and a full load of just cut timber is hard work to push the 200m up our wet field (garden). In fact when really loaded I find it easier to pull. If you are on the flat on concrete or tarmac its a lot easier. I wouldn't fill it up with say 40kg bags of coal because of the high sides its a lot of effort to lift heavy stuff in and out if you aren't tipping it.

When it really comes into its own is stuff like hedge clippings, compost, weeds and even loads of grass from the lawn mower.

The tipping version tips like a normal barrow then the whole body hinges on front edge and goes upsidedown so its easy to empty.

A neighbour of mine has the tipping version. She uses it for grass, leaves etc. She is well able to move it around .
    She takes the pin out of the tipping part and removed the bin. Then uses the frame to move heavy stuff around like coal or timber. She is very headstrong and independent so wants to do it herself. I put a plywood sheet onto the bottom of the frame for her and she uses it for bringing buckets and flower pots around

Advertisement