Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous tree next door

Options
  • 20-11-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    Hopefully this is in the right section .

The house next door to me is currently vacant .

The owner rents it out sometimes and doesn't seem to be too bothered about the condition of either the house or the grounds and there is a row of leylandii type trees about 50 -60 feet high along our boundary (on their side) .

During Storm Ophelia , one of these trees was severely damaged (split in two) and is only being held up by the tree next to it - it is leaning heavily on the tree beside it .

It is leaning towards the boundary .

When it does fall (and it will ) it will more than likely take down a large section of our wall (20-30 feet , wall is concrete panels and posts ) and depending on where it lands will damage some of our plants and possibly the electrical supply unit for our percolation system/septic tank .

There is also the possibility of injury to ourselves or our dog .

I have rung the owner several times , left voicemails and also sent a couple of text messages informing them about the tree and asking them to ring me .

The owner never answers the phone and has not replied to any messages .

They are known for never answering the phone according to other neighbours .

Is there an obligation on their part to ensure that the tree doesn't cause damage to our property ?
    If so , can it be enforced ?
    Who can I contact about it if the owner refuses to even answer the phone or reply to messages ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Registered letter as a start.
    If that doesn't work consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

elperello wrote: »
    Registered letter as a start.
    If that doesn't work consult a solicitor.

Thanks ,
    I thought of that , but don't know where they live .

They probably wouldn't sign for anything they weren't expecting anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Hopefully this is in the right section .

The house next door to me is currently vacant .

The owner rents it out sometimes and doesn't seem to be too bothered about the condition of either the house or the grounds and there is a row of leylandii type trees about 50 -60 feet high along our boundary (on their side) .

During Storm Ophelia , one of these trees was severely damaged (split in two) and is only being held up by the tree next to it - it is leaning heavily on the tree beside it .

It is leaning towards the boundary .

When it does fall (and it will ) it will more than likely take down a large section of our wall (20-30 feet , wall is concrete panels and posts ) and depending on where it lands will damage some of our plants and possibly the electrical supply unit for our percolation system/septic tank .

There is also the possibility of injury to ourselves or our dog .

I have rung the owner several times , left voicemails and also sent a couple of text messages informing them about the tree and asking them to ring me .

The owner never answers the phone and has not replied to any messages .

They are known for never answering the phone according to other neighbours .

Is there an obligation on their part to ensure that the tree doesn't cause damage to our property ?
    If so , can it be enforced ?
    Who can I contact about it if the owner refuses to even answer the phone or reply to messages ?

Thanks

Is the tree likley to take down any power or phone lines - if so contact the ESB, Telecoms etc

If it is a roadside tree - contact your local council

Afaik if you cannot contact the relevant owner- you may cut down or prune any overhanging branches etc intruding onto your property. As long as you return the cuttings to the other property.

I would suggest you also post this in the forestry forum over in Farming to get a more detailed answer there.

Best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

gozunda wrote: »
    Is the tree likley to take down any power or phone lines - if so contact the ESB, Telecoms etc

If it is a roadside tree - contact your local council

Afaik if you cannot contact the relevant owner- you may cut down or prune any overhanging branches etc intruding onto your property. As long as you return the cuttings to the other property.

I would suggest you also post this in the forestry forum over in Farming to get a more detailed answer there.

Best of luck .

It's in the back garden so no cables are affected unfortunately .

We had the trees tidied to the boundary earlier in the year , but pruning this tree won't help .

It needs to be taken down to ground level .

The tree itself is still just about inside their boundary , but I'm not sure how long it'll stay there as it is leaning towards the boundary .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try asking around the neighbours to find out where he lives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement