Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf/Gastrocnemius issue

• 20-11-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Not looking for medical advice, just other peoples experiences on recovery.

Has anyone had a problem with gastrocnemius muscle in the calf, causing tendonitis at the back of the knee? I've had dry needling and found it very good. Back again next week for more. Having taken a break for 11 days, was allowed to test it out last week, but it flared up again Saturday. Ive been advised to rest for another 3 weeks.

I'm just wondering how long recovery was before you could get back to training?Was it an issue that was easy to treat and get over? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

RubyK wrote: »
    Not looking for medical advice, just other peoples experiences on recovery.

Has anyone had a problem with gastrocnemius muscle in the calf, causing tendonitis at the back of the knee? I've had dry needling and found it very good. Back again next week for more. Having taken a break for 11 days, was allowed to test it out last week, but it flared up again Saturday. Ive been advised to rest for another 3 weeks.

I'm just wondering how long recovery was before you could get back to training?Was it an issue that was easy to treat and get over? Thanks.

Hi,

I haven't had that issue but have been injured and finally learnt that everyone is different and heals differently. I thought I would be back up and running after 4 months, it took a hell of a lot longer.

Listen and heed to the advice given and don't be fretting about when you can return as you'll drive yourself mad. Do you exercises as prescribed and try and cross-train if you can on a bike or in a pool if able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've had a lot of calf trouble over the last few years and the only thing that has sorted it out is daily stretching, daily foam rolling and daily calf raises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

If it's pain at the back of the knee it's more than likely a tendon issues. Tendon issues are slower to heal that muscular ones and need two things:

1: Initially............rest. Yeah it sucks but it needs a little time to calm down before you do the most important step......

2..........LOAD IT! As soon as you can start to load the tendon, this is how we get tendons to heal and get stronger. You should make sure that your therapist/physio gives you a progressive loading programme as well as the manual stuff/dry needling etc.

This only applies of course if it is a tendon issue, which the physio should be able to confirm. Also cross train if you can and it doesn't cause pain, it will keep your aerobic system in decent nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

I've similar issues, pain seems to be coming down form the glute/hamstring into calf, appreciate any suggestions for physio around Dublin central. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

pconn062 wrote: »
    If it's pain at the back of the knee it's more than likely a tendon issues. Tendon issues are slower to heal that muscular ones and need two things:

1: Initially............rest. Yeah it sucks but it needs a little time to calm down before you do the most important step......

2..........LOAD IT! As soon as you can start to load the tendon, this is how we get tendons to heal and get stronger. You should make sure that your therapist/physio gives you a progressive loading programme as well as the manual stuff/dry needling etc.

This only applies of course if it is a tendon issue, which the physio should be able to confirm. Also cross train if you can and it doesn't cause pain, it will keep your aerobic system in decent nick.

Thanks a mill pconn062, yes physio says its a tendon issue :-( I'm on day 4 of rest, have no pain, can bend the knee fully again (which I couldn't do up to Monday). I've had 3 sessions of dry needling and another next week. I've my head prepared for 3 weeks non running, but really hope that's the most it will take. Physio has said I can cross-train at the gym from next week, to keep cardio levels up, which is great.

When you say "load it" do you mean strength work and stretching, or just stretching? I'm no stranger to injury, but tendon stuff is new to me.

In your experience, how long can it take to recover? I know everyone is different, but I'd just be interested to hear your opinion. I am supposed to be building a decent base for the start of spring marathon training, the first week of January, but I'm looking at plan B at the moment, if that doesn't happen, so I have something to focus on for later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks a mill pconn062, yes physio says its a tendon issue :-( I'm on day 4 of rest, have no pain, can bend the knee fully again (which I couldn't do up to Monday). I've had 3 sessions of dry needling and another next week. I've my head prepared for 3 weeks non running, but really hope that's the most it will take. Physio has said I can cross-train at the gym from next week, to keep cardio levels up, which is great.

When you say "load it" do you mean strength work and stretching, or just stretching? I'm no stranger to injury, but tendon stuff is new to me.

In your experience, how long can it take to recover? I know everyone is different, but I'd just be interested to hear your opinion. I am supposed to be building a decent base for the start of spring marathon training, the first week of January, but I'm looking at plan B at the moment, if that doesn't happen, so I have something to focus on for later in the year.

Sorry, by load it I mean strength work (a specific type of strength work usually focusing on eccentric loading is predominately used with damaged tendons). Tendons are different to muscle in that in order to get them to heal properly you need to put stress on them. This in turn increases the level of blood supply that they receive and also stimulates collagen development which improves the strength and tolerance of the tendon. So as soon as you are mostly pain free in daily activities you should talk to the physio about starting a loading/strength programme. I've seen tendon injuries that have made zero improvement after three months rest due to the fact that the tendon wasn't properly rehabbed/loaded during the rest period. The plus side is that the tendon should be stronger and less prone to injury after a good block of strength work. And it's actually OK to have a little bit of pain while doing this strength work so long as it doesn't leave it markedly worse the following day.

Again, so I don't get in trouble, this is just general info and your physio would be the best person to advise you. And FWIW, I'm currently out injured (again) with a plantar fascia injury (which is a bit like a tendon) and after 3 weeks rest I started my loading programme last week to try and get this thing to heal properly. I'm also cross training 4-5 days a week in the gym to try and keep fitness levels up. Injuries suck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

pconn062 wrote: »
    Sorry, by load it I mean strength work (a specific type of strength work usually focusing on eccentric loading is predominately used with damaged tendons). Tendons are different to muscle in that in order to get them to heal properly you need to put stress on them. This in turn increases the level of blood supply that they receive and also stimulates collagen development which improves the strength and tolerance of the tendon. So as soon as you are mostly pain free in daily activities you should talk to the physio about starting a loading/strength programme. I've seen tendon injuries that have made zero improvement after three months rest due to the fact that the tendon wasn't properly rehabbed/loaded during the rest period. The plus side is that the tendon should be stronger and less prone to injury after a good block of strength work. And it's actually OK to have a little bit of pain while doing this strength work so long as it doesn't leave it markedly worse the following day.

Again, so I don't get in trouble, this is just general info and your physio would be the best person to advise you. And FWIW, I'm currently out injured (again) with a plantar fascia injury (which is a bit like a tendon) and after 3 weeks rest I started my loading programme last week to try and get this thing to heal properly. I'm also cross training 4-5 days a week in the gym to try and keep fitness levels up. Injuries suck! :)

Thanks again, appreciate all the info and advice. Physio said just gently stretching of the calf this week, then onto raises and stuff next week, after some more needling. Sorry that you are also on the injury bench, fingers crossed you are now on the road to recovery, sounds like you know exactly what you are doing. Yes injuries do suck, so roll on 2018, the year of no injuries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

And FWIW, I'm currently out injured (again) with a plantar fascia injury (which is a bit like a tendon) and after 3 weeks rest I started my loading programme last week to try and get this thing to heal properly. I'm also cross training 4-5 days a week in the gym to try and keep fitness levels up. Injuries suck! :)[/QUOTE]

I am on the bench too with an Achilles problem that just won't shift for me. I did a HM and a Triathlon close together in late August/early September and ended up with this injury that does not appear to get better with rest! I was heartened to read your post about stretching/loading the tendon as my physio tells me that this is vital to fixing this problem.

I went for a short slow run yesterday of 3-4K just to 'test it out' as it felt okish after 3-4 weeks of rest and I am in pain again today.....so frustrating.

Hi aquinn, glad to hear that you are back from your injury, it sounded like a pretty bad accident that you had and long recovery back, but fair play, you seem to be in a good place with it.

Yes, injuries suck indeed....................:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't think it's the same issue, but I have had calf/ ankle tendon issues (displaying more on the side of knee - around ITB area). Once I was diagnosed by my physio, and followed the exercises I was given to the schedule I was given, I was a two or three weeks before being able to slowly build up distance (starting on grass). Physio was happy for me to cross train (mainly bike) once it wasn't hurting.

Advertisement