Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent letting experiences

Options
  • 20-11-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I will shortly have a 1 bed apartment available for rent in North Dublin city (Croke Park area).

The current tenant left a few weeks ago and had been there for 5 years so there are a few fairly minor issues to be sorted out prior to advertising.

Not having had any recent experience of looking for a new tenant, is there any advice anyone would like to proffer in relation to that?

I would rather not have to deal with 100 people waving envelopes with 6 months rent in advance at the door!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

CiboC wrote: »
    I will shortly have a 1 bed apartment available for rent in North Dublin city (Croke Park area).

The current tenant left a few weeks ago and had been there for 5 years so there are a few fairly minor issues to be sorted out prior to advertising.

Not having had any recent experience of looking for a new tenant, is there any advice anyone would like to proffer in relation to that?

I would rather not have to deal with 100 people waving envelopes with 6 months rent in advance at the door!

When advertising, I would ask for email replies only. If you don't do that, expect your phone to be buzzing for weeks. Ask for an outline of who will be renting the property (couple, children, what jobs etc......)

Ask for the maximum possible rent allowable under the RPZ legislation. This is likely to be below market value, so be prepared for a large number of replies. For this reason, I would set up a new email account just for the advert.

Obviously, look for work and previous landlord references from those you select for viewing.

This is where I'm likely to get slated as the horrible nasty landlord. I would ask for 6 months bank statements to see if the rent previously paid co consistently on the correct date, and to see if the person has an overdraft every month etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DubCount wrote: »
    This is where I'm likely to get slated as the horrible nasty landlord. I would ask for 6 months bank statements to see if the rent previously paid co consistently on the correct date, and to see if the person has an overdraft every month etc.

If its significantly under market rate, would be worth pushing for a very large deposit too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As above, only take replies via email. Don't even put up your number. Be clear about any details, rules or requirements you have in the ad (e.g. when it's available from, no pets, X months rent as deposit that sort of thing). Then read the emails and pick x amount to invite to a viewing. Don't do an open viewing as you'd probably be swamped with people left, right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Please note you can ask indeed for the bank statements but prospect tenant is entitled to black everything out exept for the rent payment  - and that includes the total balances. You're as well off to ask for the previous (and before the previous) landlords references. Do NOT go for only 1 LL - go at least to the one before that.

Advertisement