Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent and RPZ

Options
  • 20-11-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be soon renting my 2 bed apartment in a RPZ area. The apartment was previously rented 5 years ago in 2012, obviously before the RPZ caps came in.

I have a simple question, am i allowed charge the going rate for similar properties renting in my area ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Was it 2012 when you last rented the property? As in it hasn't been on the market since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Yes I have been living in it since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Hi all,

I will be soon renting my 2 bed apartment in a RPZ area. The apartment was previously rented 5 years ago in 2012, obviously before the RPZ caps came in.

I have a simple question, am i allowed charge the going rate for similar properties renting in my area ?

No.

you can only increase using the formula outlined on the RTB website -

Thats E x (M/24) x 4%
    Where E is the existing rent, and M is the number of months since the last rent review.

I know its nuts, I know its unfair, but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

You can charge what you like ... remember that the rpz is here to stay so charge wisely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

DubCount wrote: »
    Hi all,

No.

Thats E x (M/24) x 4%
    Where E is the existing rent, and M is the number of months since the last rent review.

It's been idle for nearly 6 years. He can't be tied into what he was charging in 2012!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Yes I have been living in it since

That makes all the difference. If it hasnt been rented for the last 2 years, you can charge market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

DubCount wrote: »
    No.

Thats E x (M/24) x 4%

The RTB site states "Not all rental properties are covered by the 4% annual rental restriction. Properties that are new to the rental market and have not been let at any time in the previous two years and properties which have undergone a substantial change can be exempted from the measure."

I'd read that as saying it wouldn't apply in the OPs case, although the "can be" makes it a bit ambiguous, as well as "new to the market" and "not let in the last two years" sounding like two separate conditions, though I think it's just one condition badly phrased. The FAQ is a bit less ambiguous on the second point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

MOH wrote: »
    The RTB site states "Not all rental properties are covered by the 4% annual rental restriction. Properties that are new to the rental market and have not been let at any time in the previous two years and properties which have undergone a substantial change can be exempted from the measure."

I'd read that as saying it wouldn't apply in the OPs case, although the "can be" makes it a bit ambiguous, as well as "new to the market" and "not let in the last two years" sounding like two separate conditions, though I think it's just one condition badly phrased. The FAQ is a bit less ambiguous on the second point.

With the RTB you should look at the primary legislation. A lot of the FAq's are done up at an early stage and are not always 100% accurate. They also have a disclaimer.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Great. Thank you all for your time and help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

MOH wrote: »

The legislation itself is clear.

5) Subsection (4) does not apply—

(a) where a dwelling has not at any time been the subject of a tenancy during the period of 2 years prior to the date the area is prescribed under section 24A as a rent pressure zone or deemed to be so prescribed;

• Advertisement
Advertisement