Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Unions and lending advice

• 20-11-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi so I have a local credit union account since I was in school as the part time job I was working in at that time required me to have one to get paid. I've left that job a good while ago and am working elsewhere now. Now I have no savings in that account seeing as it was just used for wages, think I have the 5 euro required to keep the account open.

Would it be easy to get a small loan (less than 1k) from them with proof of income? Just looking for a few opinions.

Thanks in advance

Comments

CU's are great and local and all that jazz, but with every passing day they become more and more 'bank-like'.

They'll want proof of income, outgoings, etc. and they will lend to you almost strictly based on your ability to repay and credit history.

If you're looking for €1,000, depending how fast you need the loan, you'd be almost better off lodging €500 and then going in for a loan of €1,500. This way you're only getting three times you're savings and they have security against the loan. It sounds silly, but can help.

(just incase that's confusing, you're getting a loan of the extra €500 to replenish the €500 you put into your savings to get the loan).

Advertisement