Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting so frustrated trying to rent unsuccessfully in Dublin...

Options
  • 20-11-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I lived in Dublin for years and last year I moved to my Dad's house in Galway.

A couple of weeks ago, I started working for a large tech company and the role is from home. My problem, is that I am on training, Monday-Friday, until January, with no option for time off, just our general Bank Holidays, Christmas etc.
    I have since been trying to get back up to Dublin and have come across a lot of nice apartments, ( Just for myself ) in the 1200-1300 bracket.

My problem is, is that every single apartment has been holding viewings on weekdays, at the oddest times, I have tried talking to the people advertising them, about viewing on a weekend, just for 5 minutes and I just get "no". I asked if I could send someone to view it for me and "no". 
    I have even been offering to move in without seeing the place, just going by the photos on Daft.ie and I get "no", I even went as far as to offer the deposit with 3 months rent in advance and I still get a no.

I have explained the role that I am in and it is for an extremely large, reputable company and it seems to make no difference.
    I don't understand why this is so difficult. I have a good job, I'm a single professional female who will be living alone, no pets, can provide bank statements, references etc. but I just can't get a look in.

(It feels like the landlords don't want my money?! - "Shut up and take my money!")

I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me,
    Sincerely Fed Up sad.png?v=%20306441d542a77b26498a7b4acfeda686

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

You're better off living in one of the commuter belts and travelling into Dublin. Its much cheaper and less demand. I couldn't even get a viewing in Dublin until I handed over references and bank statements (this is for a viewing only) but in Newbridge I got offered two homes in one day. Or would you consider a flatshare?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sammyy24

Well my new role is actually from home so fortunately I have no commute, but my issue is that I have the money to pay for rent in the city and it's not even the city centre that I am looking at.

It's Blanch, Lucan, Park West and the like but I still can't get anything. I don't get it, I'm offering a lot upfront.

As for the flat share, because I'll be working from home I just want to live alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you looking for a short term let only?

Nope, preferably long-term and I say that to them too...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Could it be the working from home angle? Maybe they are worried about excess wear and tear if you're home all day.

• Advertisement

It hasn't been mentioned to me @Afroshack I can't imagine that would bother them though, would it? If I am just sat on a computer all day? Honestly can't get a gauge on the problem

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Afroshack wrote: »
    Could it be the working from home angle? Maybe they are worried about excess wear and tear if you're home all day.

I doubt it's that. It's probably just because the landlords have loads of people able to view whenever it suits them so they're not bothered to go out of their way to arrange a viewing that suits the OP. It sucks but it's understandable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I doubt it's that. It's probably just because the landlords have loads of people able to view whenever it suits them so they're not bothered to go out of their way to arrange a viewing that suits the OP. It sucks but it's understandable.

+1
    I was helping a work colleague who has a nice apartment in Lucan today.
    He put up the add on DAFT at 10AM- and by 12.30PM decided to take down the add and turn off his phone altogether.
    Landlords have their choice of tenants- and unfortunately- many tenants are happily offering 3 or even 6 months rent upfront. Despite what you might imagine- it doesn't distinguish you from any other punter.

I don't have an answer for you- simply an observation that while you're making an effort to sell yourself as a tenant to landlords- you're not doing anything that anyone else who is serious- isn't also doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP you could get all your documents in order and contact estate agents in the areas you want to live. Then offer them a finders fee if they can place you in an apartment. If the estate agent can make a fee off you and off the landlord it should help you jump the queue of suitable tenants.

You don't need to be in Dublin so why would you want to live there paying through the nose for rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

You don't need to be in Dublin so why would you want to live there paying through the nose for rent?

My thoughts exactly!

But I guess some people like Dublin.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A single professional female who works for a large tech company, it doesn't take a genius to understand why she wants to live in Dublin.

OP - unfortunately you may be stuck until you can be a bit more flexible. Maybe tough it out until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lia_lia wrote:
    My thoughts exactly!

Me too. Sounds pointless to live up in Dublin just to work from home.

But Op, if you're determined then do a house share temporarily until you can get an opportunity to get your own place. Maybe just be patient.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I want to live in Dublin because I lived there for years, I enjoy living there, I'm familiar with it and all of my friends are there, I don't know anyone in the countryside.
    With a house share, I feel that I am at an age now where I have a good career, earn ok-ish money and I want to live alone. If I'm willing to pay for it, I don't understand the problem.

My biggest grumble with all of this is that I have even been willing to move in without seeing the place or send someone to view it for me and they still say no. I have offered month's rent in advance, bank statements, all references required, hell, I'll even give them a DNA sample if they want but I am still getting a resounding no.

I have been in talks with estate agents in Dublin and have given them all my details but never hear anything back.

I don't understand landlords, if they don't want the effort of viewing's and having to deal with 100's of people lining up and annoying them, would it not be handy for them to have a single professional woman, with advance rent, deposit and all paperwork in order, willing to move in when it suits them?

They are telling me to jump and I'm saying how high and it never leads anywhere...

awec wrote: »
    A single professional female who works for a large tech company, it doesn't take a genius to understand why she wants to live in Dublin.

OP - unfortunately you may be stuck until you can be a bit more flexible. Maybe tough it out until January.

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I think you might be right awec.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Might just have to tough it out until next year when I can book some time off, but even with time off, it's difficult to get any viewings that will suit both myself and the landlord.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just sucks that I have been here over a year and have been looking for months.[/font]

+1
    I was helping a work colleague who has a nice apartment in Lucan today.
    He put up the add on DAFT at 10AM- and by 12.30PM decided to take down the add and turn off his phone altogether.
    Landlords have their choice of tenants- and unfortunately- many tenants are happily offering 3 or even 6 months rent upfront. Despite what you might imagine- it doesn't distinguish you from any other punter.

I don't have an answer for you- simply an observation that while you're making an effort to sell yourself as a tenant to landlords- you're not doing anything that anyone else who is serious- isn't also doing.
    I don't suppose your colleague is looking for a single professional for his apartment in Lucan by any chance? :P ha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sammyy24 wrote: »

I want to live in Dublin because I lived there for years, I enjoy living there, I'm familiar with it and all of my friends are there, I don't know anyone in the countryside.
    With a house share, I feel that I am at an age now where I have a good career, earn ok-ish money and I want to live alone. If I'm willing to pay for it, I don't understand the problem.

My biggest grumble with all of this is that I have even been willing to move in without seeing the place or send someone to view it for me and they still say no. I have offered month's rent in advance, bank statements, all references required, hell, I'll even give them a DNA sample if they want but I am still getting a resounding no.

I have been in talks with estate agents in Dublin and have given them all my details but never hear anything back.

I don't understand landlords, if they don't want the effort of viewing's and having to deal with 100's of people lining up and annoying them, would it not be handy for them to have a single professional woman, with advance rent, deposit and all paperwork in order, willing to move in when it suits them?

They are telling me to jump and I'm saying how high and it never leads anywhere...

In fairness, I don't think I'd rent it out without at least meeting the prospective tenant first. It sucks for you but I can understand where the landlords are coming from here. While you might be an ideal tenant because you have advance rent, deposit, all your paperwork in order and you're willing to move in when it suits them, there are plenty of other people in a similar situation.

If I were you I'd get something temporary until January and once you finish training start looking again except then you'll be able to be more flexible when it comes to viewings so should hopefully find it a bit easier. Best of luck with it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I think you might be right awec.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Might just have to tough it out until next year when I can book some time off, but even with time off, it's difficult to get any viewings that will suit both myself and the landlord.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just sucks that I have been here over a year and have been looking for months.[/font]

Once youre done training book yourself a short stay apartment in Dublin for a week or two. Move up and work from there and you can readily do viewings in the evening and at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

Once youre done training book yourself a short stay apartment in Dublin for a week or two. Move up and work from there and you can readily do viewings in the evening and at weekends.
    good idea
    exactly what im doing when im moving in to Dublin in May.

Book two or three days off work in January once you can and you'll get sorted.

Best of luck with the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭CPTM

Firstly, just a small word of warning that there's a few of fraudsters out there at the minute OP. I know already you're someone with their head screwed on but I always think it's good to remind people about that, especially when they are frustrated.

Also, there's a few 'rent a place' pages on Facebook that are fairly active:

Rent in Dublin
    Rent a room in Dublin (I've seen some single occupancy places going up)
    Dublin rent a room/house/..

If you search "Rent Dublin" they generally come up.

Hopefully something comes up for you, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

A guess only, but when you are contacting landlords are you saying 'single'??
    Its only a guess, but im wondering if that would turn a landlord off? If you lost your job, how do you pay the rent if you have no friend/partner to pay it for you?
    I remember when I was looking for somewhere to rent as a single applicant, i was asked for my bank slips (and this was pre all this madness like). They basically wanted to see if i could afford to pay the rent myself, this could be another issue, they think a single person cant afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

just looking on daft - look for 1 bdr apartment and above
    max 1300 euro.
    find 80 ads
    i guess you can find one of them good for you, maybe you need to say you're couple or mention that you already have a job or maybe if you can pay the rent in advance.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

In fairness, I don't think I'd rent it out without at least meeting the prospective tenant first. It sucks for you but I can understand where the landlords are coming from here. While you might be an ideal tenant because you have advance rent, deposit, all your paperwork in order and you're willing to move in when it suits them, there are plenty of other people in a similar situation.

If I were you I'd get something temporary until January and once you finish training start looking again except then you'll be able to be more flexible when it comes to viewings so should hopefully find it a bit easier. Best of luck with it regardless.
    For a residential lease there is a EU consumer protection law that could really screw you if the tenant later on says that he rented without seeing the property and he/she is now regretting it.

To the OP I am a landlord in central Dublin and I only arrange viewings during the week after 18:30 and at weekends. However viewers really screwed my property manager this past Sunday (when only one out of three appeared). The beauty is that they all said they really needed the place when booking the viewing just two/three days before. Of course these a...es disappeared completely after the event.

Apparently their social life on a Sunday afternoon is too important for thrm to call off a viewing a few hours in advance! This is the first and last time I setup a viewing on a Sunday.

Just to show that it goes two ways and I am tired of hearing the moaning from tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Why would someone go out of their way for you OP when there are dozens if not hundreds of others who can show up at the time convenient to the LL? They're doing you a favour, paying 1200-1300 in rent is utter madness when you don't need to imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Im very confused why landlords wouldn't have viewings on a weekend!? Maybe some LL here could settle my curiosity.

LL's want working professionals as tenants and IMO most professionals would be working every weekday, so I don't get why they wouldn't have viewings on a weekend. They want the professionals to rent the house but aren't willing to be flexible to them? Makes no sense to me whatsoever!

Ashbx wrote: »
    Im very confused why landlords wouldn't have viewings on a weekend!? Maybe some LL here could settle my curiosity.

LL's want working professionals as tenants and IMO most professionals would be working every weekday, so I don't get why they wouldn't have viewings on a weekend. They want the professionals to rent the house but aren't willing to be flexible to them? Makes no sense to me whatsoever!

They have no need to waste their own weekend doing viewings when they get more than enough quality tenants on offer doing weekday viewings. A lot of professionals will just take time out of work to go view.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can your high tech company assist you at all?

Many of them have sub leases with REITS.

• Advertisement

The problem is, everything you are willing to do would sound alarm bells rininging to any cautious landlord.

Rent a place without viewing it, send someone else to view it? It just sounds way too dodgy and sounds like the purpose of the rent is to not actually “live there” but perhaps use it for other purposes (I am not doubting your intent whatsoever)
    Just take a day off when you can and visit as many properties as possible

The landlords are more than likely professionals too, so don’t want to work the weekends themselves

Good luck

Advertisement