Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting so frustrated trying to rent unsuccessfully in Dublin...

Options
2»

Comments

Can your high tech company assist you at all?

Many of them have sub leases with REITS.

If they do have it I doubt very much they would use up limited housing on someone who doesn't need to be in Dublin. The multinational may not even be based in Dublin themselves anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jra3xneickw79y

I managed to rent a property in Malahide without seeing it first but I think it was only because the landlady was not using estate agents. If you can find a property being rented by owner then you’ll have much better luck with that. The owner doesn’t have to stick to the rules.

Marina Village is a nice development right in Malahide village that would be a lovely place to work from home. It’s aging a little now but still very comfortable. I know <snip> have a couple of flats there available now, but also since it’s a big development there’s almost always something.

Perhaps Malahide is a little too far for you, but we find it works okay as the train is good for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

I managed to rent a property in Malahide without seeing it first but I think it was only because the landlady was not using estate agents. If you can find a property being rented by owner then you’ll have much better luck with that. The owner doesn’t have to stick to the rules.

Marina Village is a nice development right in Malahide village that would be a lovely place to work from home. It’s aging a little now but still very comfortable. I know <snip>have a couple of flats there available now, but also since it’s a big development there’s almost always something.

Perhaps Malahide is a little too far for you, but we find it works okay as the train is good for the city centre.

Just to second the above named estate agency. I was at the end of my tether and called them and was in a place within a week. Have no connection with them aside from being one of their tenants. They are quite no nonsense so you need to be ready to push the button but they were the only ones out of 30 plus estate agents that acted when I told them I was desperately stuck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: Recommendations by PM only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Sammyy24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I want to live in Dublin because I lived there for years, I enjoy living there, I'm familiar with it and all of my friends are there, I don't know anyone in the countryside.
    With a house share, I feel that I am at an age now where I have a good career, earn ok-ish money and I want to live alone. If I'm willing to pay for it, I don't understand the problem.

My biggest grumble with all of this is that I have even been willing to move in without seeing the place or send someone to view it for me and they still say no. I have offered month's rent in advance, bank statements, all references required, hell, I'll even give them a DNA sample if they want but I am still getting a resounding no.

I have been in talks with estate agents in Dublin and have given them all my details but never hear anything back.

I don't understand landlords, if they don't want the effort of viewing's and having to deal with 100's of people lining up and annoying them, would it not be handy for them to have a single professional woman, with advance rent, deposit and all paperwork in order, willing to move in when it suits them?

They are telling me to jump and I'm saying how high and it never leads anywhere...

Speaking from landlord point of view, I would put equal importance on a face to face chat with you coupled with references. When you talk to someone face to face you get a feel of what their like and no amount of references in the world can suffice that. Yes people will put their best foot forward when talking to you but as a landlord you go with your gut then and if I don’t get a good vibe of someone who I might need to deal with for years It’s just easier to get that feeling when talking to them face to face.

Likewise as others mentioned, why would we go to all the hassle of showing you the place on the weekend when there’s 10 other people that will view the place any time the landlord wants. It might be time to suck it up. Take a day off work and go to Dublin to view as many as possible on that same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sammyy24

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)
    Unfortunately, I am not allowed to take anytime off until February, I have already spoken to my boss. They're in the process of restructuring and training new staff so it's just not possible, I have a few days over Xmas, so maybe a LL will agree to meet with me at some stage. 
    I have no problem trying to make a viewing in the late evenings, but I don't finish till 6pm and then it's a 2 and a half hour journey to Dublin by train, if I can get to the train in time.

It's not that I am making excuses, I'm not trying to sound dodgy or anything, I try and work with the landlords in anyway I can, I had one landlord ask me for 18 months bank statements last week and I said no problem, got them all together, all the other information he wanted and then he cancelled on me 2 hours before I was supposed to see the property, while I was on the train!

So it's not like I am not trying but as another poster said, I don't understand what else LL's want, I'm a professional, have proof that I can afford my rent, have glowing references from long term landlords and a work reference and I am willing to provide them with anything else they need.
    It's not that I can't meet face to face but it seems that LL's won't meet me half way.

And to answer another poster's question, I want to live in Dublin because all of my friends are there, I lived there for years and have a life there. Also, all of my new colleagues are based there and we do a lot of meetups with the company.

I know people think it's crazy that I want to move back but I am willing to pay a bit extra if that's where I want to live.

GGTrek wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I want to live in Dublin because I lived there for years, I enjoy living there, I'm familiar with it and all of my friends are there, I don't know anyone in the countryside.
    With a house share, I feel that I am at an age now where I have a good career, earn ok-ish money and I want to live alone. If I'm willing to pay for it, I don't understand the problem.

My biggest grumble with all of this is that I have even been willing to move in without seeing the place or send someone to view it for me and they still say no. I have offered month's rent in advance, bank statements, all references required, hell, I'll even give them a DNA sample if they want but I am still getting a resounding no.

I have been in talks with estate agents in Dublin and have given them all my details but never hear anything back.

I don't understand landlords, if they don't want the effort of viewing's and having to deal with 100's of people lining up and annoying them, would it not be handy for them to have a single professional woman, with advance rent, deposit and all paperwork in order, willing to move in when it suits them?

They are telling me to jump and I'm saying how high and it never leads anywhere...

In fairness, I don't think I'd rent it out without at least meeting the prospective tenant first. It sucks for you but I can understand where the landlords are coming from here. While you might be an ideal tenant because you have advance rent, deposit, all your paperwork in order and you're willing to move in when it suits them, there are plenty of other people in a similar situation.

If I were you I'd get something temporary until January and once you finish training start looking again except then you'll be able to be more flexible when it comes to viewings so should hopefully find it a bit easier. Best of luck with it regardless.
    For a residential lease there is a EU consumer protection law that could really screw you if the tenant later on says that he rented without seeing the property and he/she is now regretting it.

To the OP I am a landlord in central Dublin and I only arrange viewings during the week after 18:30 and at weekends. However viewers really screwed my property manager this past Sunday (when only one out of three appeared). The beauty is that they all said they really needed the place when booking the viewing just two/three days before. Of course these a...es disappeared completely after the event.

Apparently their social life on a Sunday afternoon is too important for thrm to call off a viewing a few hours in advance! This is the first and last time I setup a viewing on a Sunday.

Just to show that it goes two ways and I am tired of hearing the moaning from tenants.
    Sorry that the respective tenants didn't have enough respect to cancel their viewings on time but it is unfair to tar every tenant with the same brush.
    I am just a working person, trying to find somewhere to rent, if I can't make a viewing, I'll give a lot of notice and plus, my social life is the least of my problems right now.
    Not every tenant is the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's not that I can't meet face to face but it seems that LL's won't meet me half way.

It's an unfortunate truth that there's no need for landlords to meet you halfway.

If they've got 20 prospective tenants prepared to view on a Tuesday morning at 10:19:44, why would they then give up an evening/Saturday/Sunday?

You might find it easier to get yourself up-to Dublin for a week or two. Stay with friends or find an AirBnB where you can work remotely.

Until you can do that, you're really restricting yourself to the few properties that are available for viewing evenings/weekends.

Graham wrote: »

It's an unfortunate truth that there's no need for landlords to meet you halfway.

If they've got 20 prospective tenants prepared to view on a Tuesday morning at 10:19:44, why would they then give up an evening/Saturday/Sunday?

You might find it easier to get yourself up-to Dublin for a week or two.  Stay with friends or find an AirBnB where you can work remotely.

Until you can do that, you're really restricting yourself to the few properties that are available for viewing evenings/weekends.
    I know, and unfortunately you're right. Another poster had suggested that too and I think I might just have to bite the bullet and rent an airbnb, my only worry is that I'll spend a good chunk of change and get nothing out if it.
    Even if I get to a viewing, there's no say that I'll get it. Just a game of chance I think :pouty:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement