Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van conversion query

Options
  • 20-11-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have a 161 Renault Kangoo van, standard, solid metal side panels (i.e. no windows except in front). I currently use the van for work, transporting dogs, but I would like to be able to carry more people (currently there is only 1 driver and 1 front passenger seat). Can you legally and safely insert a row of passenger seats behind the driver/front passenger seat in a way that they could still fold down? Should have bought a Citroen berlingo multispace or a R Kangoo maxi!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No, not really. You'd have to pay VRT as a car. You'd be as well off selling and buying something else. There are a few 3 seater vans out there like the Ford Transit Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HeatherPaws

Colm- what does VRT stand for?
    If the windows of a car or multispace vehicle are blacked out or dimmed can't you still treat it as a commercial vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think you can fit more seats but this will change the nature of the car and you will have to change its VLC/logbook and depending on your insurance that may change too.

VRT is Vehicle Registration Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Colm- what does VRT stand for?
    If the windows of a car or multispace vehicle are blacked out or dimmed can't you still treat it as a commercial vehicle?

Nope, it's still a car. You can use it for what you want, even take the rear seats out, but it's still taxed and insured as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hi, I have a 161 Renault Kangoo van, standard, solid metal side panels (i.e. no windows except in front). I currently use the van for work, transporting dogs, but I would like to be able to carry more people (currently there is only 1 driver and 1 front passenger seat). Can you legally and safely insert a row of passenger seats behind the driver/front passenger seat in a way that they could still fold down? Should have bought a Citroen berlingo multispace or a R Kangoo maxi!

By just putting extra seats in you may technically invalidate your insurance.
    I did a Van to Car conversion many years ago and it involved seat belts, windows, an engineers report, log book changes, insurance changes, road tax changes.
    I wouldn't bother with it all again, sell it and buy a suitable vehicle, mainly because a vehicle that has been "modified" or "altered" raises a huge red flag with insurance companies and they may load you heavily for it, or worse, not quote for cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 HeatherPaws

Thanks for all your comments everyone; think buying a different vehicle may be on the cards!

Advertisement