Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Electrics in House

Options
  • 20-11-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just hoping to see if this is a real issue or if I'm going crazy, and if not, what to do next.

I rent an old house in Dublin. It was probably renovated in the 60's and again in 2009. I don't know how good either renovation was for the electrics. Since I've been living here over the last few years, I'd had some weird problems with electricity.

I have a PS4 that will randomly turn off or won't turn on in the house, and no matter what I do, it won't run again. I can bring it to my mates house and it works perfect, I can bring it back to the shop and it works perfect. So far the guys in Sony were pretty good about it and I've gotten a working one back every time - It's happened a total of 5 times, the last of which I didn't have time to bring it in for a few days and it came back as if nothing had ever happened.

Yesterday my iMac was suffering the exact same thing. I just tried to turn on my PS4 and it's not coming on either.

I've recently upgraded the lights in the house with Philips Hue lights, which require the switches to always be turned on. If the power is reset on these, the lights automatically come back on. This has also been happening at random over the past few months, but I've been blaming it on the software behind it.

The only thing in common with the devices not working is the power in the house and it tends to be in colder months when we have our (Storage) heating turned on, along with the washer and dryer.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I don't even know if an electrician will take this seriously!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Sounds like you may have intermittent low voltage. You could be getting a voltage drop when the storage heating comes on. This would be caused by an undersized cable. An electrician should be able to find the problem

Advertisement