Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to open a bank account w/o proof of address...? (moving to Ireland from the US)

• 20-11-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there,
    I will be moving to Ireland in a few months and I am trying to see how I can open a bank account in Ireland. They all need a utility bill under my name, however, I will be staying with a host family (HomeStay) at least for the first month and a half.
    I will need to find a job first to get a PPS number and then I have to provide proof of steady income (maybe the 2-3 last paychecks?) so I can maybe rent an apartment and then I can have the utility bill under my name. This process will take about 3-4 months at least , provided of course I find job within my first month there.
    Unless that sequence is not necessary, is there a way that I can have a bank account when I move to Ireland or do I simply keep whatever money I bring on me in cash?!
    Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

geanmage13 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I will be moving to Ireland in a few months and I am trying to see how I can open a bank account in Ireland. They all need a utility bill under my name, however, I will be staying with a host family (HomeStay) at least for the first month and a half.
    I will need to find a job first to get a PPS number and then I have to provide proof of steady income (maybe the 2-3 last paychecks?) so I can maybe rent an apartment and then I can have the utility bill under my name. This process will take about 3-4 months at least , provided of course I find job within my first month there.
    Unless that sequence is not necessary, is there a way that I can have a bank account when I move to Ireland or do I simply keep whatever money I bring on me in cash?!
    Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!
    If you have a European passport then use n26, install the app, do the video call. You're done. No proof of address required.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 geanmage13

Thank you for the recommendation. I just looked N26 up since I had never heard of it before. I am reading some great and some horrible reviews.. do you have experience with them? I'd hate to be in a new country, alone, and have no access to my funds.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just looked N26 up since I had never heard of it before. I am reading some great and some horrible reviews.. do you have experience with them? I'd hate to be in a new country, alone, and have no access to my funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Yeah, I have one of the black accounts with them, never had any problems.

In fairness, whoever you bank with, there will always be something to be unhappy with. I find them to be the best of the bunch though.

TempAc wrote: »
    Yeah, I have one of the black accounts with them, never had any problems.

In fairness, whoever you bank with, there will always be something to be unhappy with. I find them to be the best of the bunch though.

I will definitely look into it so maybe that way I can hit the ground running without haven't to worry about the bank.. thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

When you do get proof open a EBS Money Manager Account - it's FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

When I moved, I was able to open an account with Bank of Ireland using my US address. Took a couple phone calls and I had to FedEx some documents to them, but it wasn't too difficult. Once I moved, I just changed my address. You could give 'em a ring and see if that's still possible to do; even if you decide not to stay with them (they are a traditional big bank with all the fees and such that implies), it would give you a working bank account over here for your first few months, at least.

dennyk wrote: »
    When I moved, I was able to open an account with Bank of Ireland using my US address. Took a couple phone calls and I had to FedEx some documents to them, but it wasn't too difficult. Once I moved, I just changed my address. You could give 'em a ring and see if that's still possible to do; even if you decide not to stay with them (they are a traditional big bank with all the fees and such that implies), it would give you a working bank account over here for your first few months, at least.
    Thank you for the input. Are you still in Ireland? How are you liking it there? My issue is that when i do move there, for the first couple of months at least i will be staying with a host family till I can get a full time job so I can maybe rent my own place. It looks like a process... you need to find a job to get a PPS number so you can work and have proof of income to get your own apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yep, still here two years on and loving it.

The process of getting settled can be tricky, especially if you don't have a job lined up when you move, but having a bank account already set up before you arrive definitely makes things easier. It at least gives you a way to pay money (and collect it) while you're getting everything arranged, so there's no delays in trying to get that sorted to pay a deposit on a place or set up your direct deposit at your job or whatnot.

Advertisement