Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D&D Act One Scene III - Red Moon over Thurmunton

• 20-11-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Day 1:

The adventurers leave the city of Soetrard behind them as they venture forth into the farmlands beyond the city gates. Here small local farmers work from dawn to dusk in the fields to feed Soetrard with all the grains, wheat and oats it needs to function on a daily basis.

The trip is mostly uneventful. Farmers waving at the party, small children pointing and laughing at the halflings and the odd farmer's daughter taken in by the handsome elf.

That night, with the full moon hanging high in the sky, approaching the fork where the roads to Thurmunton and Cantry separate, the horses stomp and look agitated.

Saeros and BandyLegs make out eleven figures in the shape of men shambling in the nearby trees, approaching the group slowly. The humans and halflings clearly can't see them yet. The heat from their bodies is low. Saeros makes the conclusion immediately, undead....zombies!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Clerics, Magic-Users and Elfs, what spells have ye got for today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fourier wrote: »
    OOC: Clerics, Magic-Users and Elfs, what spells have ye got for today?

ooc and rangers lol

ooc range?

inc steady the horse and draw the bow; headshot on the first one in range or the nearest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Elin draws her crossbow and locks in a bolt. [ooc: maybe should've practiced a bit I guess!] She gently pulls up her horse, known as Horsey, and tries to find a nice shadow to lurk in.

Tigger wrote: »
    ooc range?

inc steady the horse and draw the bow; headshot on the first one in range or the nearest
    OOC: You'd know the horses have become agitated, but you can't see the creatures just yet. Only Saeros and BandyLegs can due to heat vision.
    However I'd say Goodie would be suspicious, you could approach forward to check what might be disturbing the horses.

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Elin draws her crossbow and locks in a bolt. [ooc: maybe should've practiced a bit I guess!] She gently pulls up her horse, known as Horsey, and tries to find a nice shadow to lurk in.
    Elin finds herself in the shadow of a roadside tree. Perhaps whatever lurks out there can't see her here.

OOC: You'd know the horses have become agitated, but you can't see the creatures just yet. Only Saeros and BandyLegs can due to heat vision.
    However I'd say Goodie would be suspicious, you could approach forward to check what might be disturbing the horses.

I'll move forward at a canter ready to wheel if nessicary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

ooc: is it too dark to see, even will the full moon hanging in the sky, would a torch improve the sight of non infras.

Goodie approaches closer to the fork in the road and sees what looks like man staggering in the dark. Another man begins to stumble forward from the trees.

Goodie approaches closer to the fork in the road and sees what looks like man staggering in the dark. Another man begins to stumble forward from the trees.

Range? shuffle or stumble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ooc I thought clerics can pick their spells at point of need, or did I read that wrong (they have access to all clerical spells they are capable of casting when they pray). If I'm wrong I'll go for cure light wounds.

Clipclop seems a little jittery. Othegre chooses to soothe her with an old drayhorse tune.

"When my back grows bent and I creak at the knee, massah gonna send me to the glue factory"

Clipclop grows increasingly agitated.

"Fine, suit yourself"

sKeith wrote: »
    ooc: is it too dark to see, even will the full moon hanging in the sky, would a torch improve the sight of non infras.
    OOC: Sorry, it's more that they're a bit back in the trees off the road which block the moonlight (going by the kind of heavy tree cover you'd have had in the middle ages). Advancing toward the trees with a torch will easily show them.

ooc should we not be travelling by day and sleeping at night ?

Banjo wrote: »
    Ooc I thought clerics can pick their spells at point of need, or did I read that wrong (they have access to all clerical spells they are capable of casting when they pray). If I'm wrong I'll go for cure light wounds.

Clipclop seems a little jittery. Othegre chooses to soothe her with an old drayhorse tune.

"When my back grows bent and I creak at the knee, massah gonna send me to the glue factory"

Clipclop grows increasingly agitated.

"Fine, suit yourself"
    ooc you have turn undead

ooc you have turn undead

Ooc : and human eyes. So unless someone wants to tell me what's going on, I'm going to sing again :)

Range? shuffle or stumble?
    OOC: Close range now, +1 bonus to shot, on top of Dex bonus. They're shuffling and stumbling, typical zombie walk.

OOC: To receive the spells they have to pray/perform a ritual for an hour.

ooc agreed, especially since we could make the trip to thurmonton in about 4 of hours. ah well.

ooc, i'm further back than goodie with human eyes, can i see anything yet?

ekbard shouts, "Can you see anything goodie?"

• Advertisement

Ooc. Assuming that the alarm is raised and Saeros shares his suspicion, I will attempt to turn undead when they're close enough.

Ooc: can I fight on horseback with a riding horse? Oh, and maybe it's a bad time but do I get skill points? I may be needing them in the near future !

ekbard shouts, "Can you see anything goodie?"

shouts
    its a zombie
    takes shot

ekbard on hearing the alarm weilds a javenin waiting until he can see anything.

OOC: To be clear, this only affects the flavour of the encounter. So I'll show you "behind the scenes" as it were. On Day 1, I rolled that you encounter zombies from the wilderness table, zombies are an enemy encountered in the dark, so the easiest way to achieve that is at night. You'll reach Thurmunton by Day 2 regardless, you set out late and I want to give people the option of going to Cantry. Hence the crossroads at night seemed the best setting.

ooc agreed, especially since we could make the trip to thurmonton in about 4 of hours. ah well.
    OOC: Does my explanation to Tigger make sense or would ye prefer a different style?

ekbard gets out this shopping list for thurmonton and writes down
    1) torches, many torches.

Undead - how exciting! Othegre consults her charm. The blinded eye - a test of faith! She prays :

"My Lady, I see not thine hand in these shambling wrecks. Deliver them from us and...uh.. let them be smoten? Upon?"

Ooc : I have a bunch of torches but it takes s whole round to light one, turning first makes most sense.... I think?

Ooc. Assuming that the alarm is raised and Saeros shares his suspicion, I will attempt to turn undead when they're close enough.

Ooc: can I fight on horseback with a riding horse? Oh, and maybe it's a bad time but do I get skill points? I may be needing them in the near future !
    OOC: Yeah, everybody gets skills. Roll 2d6 for turn the undead. You can fight on horseback.

OOC: Does my explanation to Trigger make sense or would ye prefer a different style?

ooc
    Trigger is a horse or a fool

Im Tigger thats; Tea eye double guh rar

• Advertisement

Ooc - rolled 11
    Ignore the d4 on rolz, that's my magic eightball religious decion maker

OOC: To be clear, this only affects the flavour of the encounter. So I'll show you "behind the scenes" as it were. On Day 1, I rolled that you encounter zombies from the wilderness table, zombies are an enemy encountered in the dark, so the easiest way to achieve that is at night. You'll reach Thurmunton by Day 2 regardless, you set out late and I want to give people the option of going to Cantry. Hence the crossroads at night seemed the best setting.

ooc
    yeah me and probably keith were just annoyed the party made a mistake
    is all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Xanthea can feel something is up, but isn't sure what. Shapsberg feels nervous underneath her. She leaves her shield on her back, but loosens her longsword in it's scabbard and keeps her fingers wrapped around the handle...

ekbard on hearing the alarm weilds a javenin waiting until he can see anything.
    Ekbard clearly sees the shape of two zombies emerge from the trees to his right.

Xanthea can feel something is up, but isn't sure what. Shapsberg feels nervous underneath her. She leaves her shield on her back, but loosens her longsword in it's scabbard and keeps her fingers wrapped around the handle...
    From the trees behind Alexander she sees a man staggering, any cleric would know a zombie when they see one.

Xanthea hears the shout from the halfling, and wills Shapsberg forward. A fight is at hand! Her longsword is drawn and held aloft, ready to swing at anything that comes her way.

• Advertisement

Ooc - rolled 11
    Ignore the d4 on rolz, that's my magic eightball religious decion maker
    A light transfuses Othegre's hand and the heads of five of the zombies glow with a divine heat, they immediately half stumble and run back into the forest, yelping in pain.

ekbard launches a javelin at one of the figures emerging from the treeline.

Xanthea picks out the shambling form behind Alexander and lets swing with her longsword. It makes a beautiful sound passing through the air...

shouts
    its a zombie
    takes shot
    OOC: Roll the attack.

OOC: Roll the attack.

18 + 1 for close and 1 for dex

• Advertisement

Hey Moy! (Singing) My God's better than your god! My God's better than yours!

6 damage

Goodie's arrow lands straight in the zombie's chest breaking its breastbone, but the creature keeps moving.

OOC: 6 damage.

Xanthea's attack rolls a 16...

OOC: I think that means a hit if I am reading the table properly, with the damage roll 1d8 giving a 5.

OOC: Yeah that's right.

Xanthea's sword connects with the undead's jaw, ripping it off, nothing but dry dust comes from the wound.

Xanthea's attack rolls a 16...

OOC: I think that means a hit if I am reading the table properly, with the damage roll 1d8 giving a 5.

ooc zombies are hard to kill but easy to hit

Othegre starts lighting a torch with the flint and steel.

"My lady, help me see the road ahead. Literally, because it's dark and still covered by zombies. I have turned a blinded eye and they in turn have run... Is it time for me to smite them now. Give me a sign"

Xanthea feels the impact on the zombie, and glances around to see if anything has come of it. Only a flesh wound, of sorts.

She turns the horse around, ready for another pass...

OOC: Any zombie attack to come first, or have at it?

Xanthea feels the impact on the zombie, and glances around to see if anything has come of it. Only a flesh wound, of sorts.

She turns the horse around, ready for another pass...

OOC: Any zombie attack to come first, or have at it?

ooc
    zombis attrack lasat

OOC: Yep, zombie's attack after you guys, so we'll have to wait for the others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement