Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Act One Scene III - Red Moon over Thurmunton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Check for traps, check for doors, regret not drawing a map, follow slime in the absence of any other stimuli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Now check for DEX :D

Motherfourier!

Rolled 14...

Othegre heads down the stairs to find three Topaz statues sitting in three rotted torture chambers. They glow with some kind of magic.

However Othegre feels a tug at her leg, a slimy tendril is wrapped around it, she is knocked to her feet and it begins to pull her down the corridor past the statues....

Othegre tries very hard to be surprised and shocked but at this point she's just grateful it's not skull-rape puppetry. There's still hope, there's still a few rolls of the dice before she dies. Again.
    Sighing, she jangles her moon necklace at the topaz-eyed statues because, frankly at this stage it would be rude not to.

"Swarm of flies!" She screams, concentrating very hard on changing her form. "Cloud of gas!"

This vampire gig sucks.

With a preternatural calm she reaches into her pack and pulls out some salted beef jerky and tries to dessicate the tendril with it.

No?

Hey, look! That flask of oil - which had seemed like a great idea to buy when she had a lantern in her basket but that was before she pissed all her money up the wall on haunted trinkets. Anyway, she doesn't have a lantern but the flask is still there in her inventory, redundant, impotent... Happy birthday, Flask! She pours the contents on the tendril s decent distance from her highly flammable foot and uses her flint and steel to light it. (Unless she still has a lit torch, I can't remember if it survived the metamorphosis)

And assuming I'm still being dragged and didn't just fail another Dex roll and set myself on fire:

"I *am* trying harder! Do something useful. Spin me a rope or call all your spider friends... I don't speak spider... What?? That's racist!"
    (Chaotic)"calling all spiders!"
    "I'm telling you, they'd be lawful. Webs take too much precision. <Shouted> Cheedldrun of dee nyite! Kom to me!</shout>. This is so stupid...."

If I'm passing a doorframe or heavy furniture I'll grab it and heave. I could also just slip out of my boot and escape I guess but bare foot on a slimy floor? Urgh!

• Advertisement

The slime recoils at the flame and detaches, only to be followed seconds later by four more, that pull Othegre all the way up another set of stairs, through the fruit room and into the original room with the pit where they entered.

The tendrils drop Othegre and re-merge with the slime, now in a vaguely humanoid shape. It speaks:

What are you? Not mortal, not as I...was. So what?

"I am Othegre Enru. Servant to a murdered reality, daughter to a thirsty pencil, sister to an absent behemoth, mother to a most put out spider and I will have my revenge in this world because I'm not sure such a bitter construct really fits with the fabric of what will follow, you know? I mean I've thought about it a lot but I can't fit all of it in my head at once, it's complicated. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, I mean how many priests have drowned themselves in your left thigh, it must be exhausting trying to find some sort of elevated state to store them all in while you wait for the inevitable collapse of all this accursed linearity back into it's true state of glorious flux...
    Sorry, where are my manners.

(She curtseys)

And whom do I have the pleasure of being thrown off cliffs, gummed, dragged through slimy corridors and shouted at by?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Banjo wrote: »
    Check for traps, check for doors, regret not drawing a map, follow slime in the absence of any other stimuli

[OOC: I can draw you up a map if you like?:D]

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    [OOC: I can draw you up a map if you like?:D]
    OOC: Great work on the maps Molly. I've a larger, but easier to draw, place on offer soon.

And whom do I have the pleasure of being thrown off cliffs, gummed, dragged through slimy corridors and shouted at by?"
    I am part of Soet that was. I'm not sure what part. It's been so long since I was seperated...but you are not the other. I killed you before...didn't I? I'm sorry, please come with me.

He walks off West.

• Advertisement

Othegre pauses - what in the tiramisuniverse is going on? First Soet is the benign man-friendly dragon-pal that everyone loves, then it's a dark cloud hell bent on destruction, now he's a mammoth sneeze with dementia? And where's that damned elf? She peers over the lip of the collapsed centre, looking for a tell tale undigested boot or pack. There's just what's left of the drowned priest.

"...I dunno, he seemed ok to me.... Look if he wanted me dead, I'd be dead. Well, deader. Maybe he already has the others? He seems reasonable when you get to know him.... How? Jump into another hole and hope he follows me? And you heard what he said - We don't know how many more of him there are. If I was preserved to finish him I need to finish *all* of him.

What say you, my lady? See! Told you. C'mon."

She hurries after Soet.

He brings Othegre back to the central chamber with the chasm.

On the other side are containers. They have...things the mortals who loved me gathered. I remember the love. Look at this one.

He shows Othegre the mutilated remains of Betty, only a skull and a femur.

It used Betty for itself. It loved me too in some way, why did I kill it?

It looks angrily at Othegre expecting an answer.

Fourier wrote: »
    He brings Othegre back to the central chamber with the chasm.

On the other side are containers. They have...things the mortals who loved me gathered. I remember the love. Look at this one.

He shows Othegre the mutilated remains of Betty, only a skull and a femur.

It used Betty for itself. It loved me too in some way, why did I kill it?

It looks angrily at Othegre expecting an answer.

"I am loving how I can read your gloopy expression. For mucus, you emote good! So that's what became of Betty... I knew her back when I was... Well, more appetising. She did love Soet. She would have died for Soet. I guess she did... But perhaps not as she would have liked.
    You killed her because that's what Gods do, they destroy, they rend, they consume. And man adores them for it.

How is it you know her name? And did you kill any of her companions?"

"I am loving how I can read your gloopy expression. For mucus, you emote good! So that's what became of Betty... I knew her back when I was... Well, more appetising. She did love Soet. She would have died for Soet. I guess she did... But perhaps not as she would have liked.
    You killed her because that's what Gods do, they destroy, they rend, they consume. And man adores them for it.

How is it you know her name? And did you kill any of her companions?"
    The slime manages to focus its mind, the voice sounds like it is coming from its mouth now, rather than from all directions at once.

"Man adores...how arrogant of us...not right, not right. Leave here being, not mortal not god, while I am still composed. I feel my full strength returning and the hunger with it. Make it across the chasm, there is something there that will help you...I believe. I don't think I killed any others...except the priest, but he loved me too."

Slime from around the complex begins to pool at his feet and he begins to look less human, returning to blobhood.

Don't talk to me of hunger, Sloppy Joe. You only vaguely recall a memory of hunger. I have such a void in me as would consume you in a trice and still have room for pudding. Do not think to threaten me. In case you haven't been keeping score, I'm ahead on points. Don't push me or I may have to win by knockout.

Those bones do not belong to you. You've had your fill. They're mine."

She doesn't wait for permission, strolling over to the container holding Betty's bones. Assuming she's not stopped she'll head back towards the chasm room stopping to see what happens if she touches the fruit (take one if viable) and pausing in the caged topaz statue room. It would be rude not to.

Edit : ah now that was an important detail that deserved to be part of the post I was responding to. So less of the strolling, lots more talking and walking, but maintaining an air of slightly hurried casualness.

and pausing in the caged topaz statue room. It would be rude not to.
    There are three topaz statues behind three sets of easily breakable wooden bars.

Smash the bars of the one on the right.

The statue pulses in front of Othegre, she's no gem expert, but it's certainly worth a lot.

"check out that pulsing, Simon. What does pulsing mean? Prizes! It's hardly ever a bad thing. Like, almost never at all."
    She touches it with the back of her hand. If no reaction, heft it for weight, then move it closer and further away from the other two. If no obvious change just bag it up and leave the other two, head on to the chasm of destiny.

• Advertisement

She touched it with the back of her hand. If no reaction, heft it for weight, then move it closer and further away from the other two. If no obvious change just bag it up and leave the other two, head on to the chasm of destiny.
    The statue, of a very obese humanoid figure, stops pulsing when Othegre touches it and doesn't do anything after that.

She heads back to the chasm where the rope dangles from the ceiling. The Soet fragment seems to almost complete and twice the size of Othegre, but still maintaining control.

OOC - ie I am in a hurry and grabbing that rope is another Dex roll that I'll fail? :)
    What's the story? Is the rope hanging out over the chasm or can I get under it and jump for it?
    How wide is the chasm? Is there a long way around or is it just the rope? Is it slightly too wide for a Normal to jump? Cause even if I can't levitate at will, I can at least slightly prolong a jump...Do I still have my torch or can I now see in the dark?

Edit : btw I'm clearly a terrible mapper. I just ran off and came back to the same room, didn't I? I thought I was leaving Soet behind in the collapsed pit room (described as a chasm earlier in thread) and running back the way I came. That's why you're describing his state to me - I'm standing beside the fecker... Dying is so confusing...

Form of bees!

Nothing?

OK, sorry to be an OOC pain in the hole, but I want to recap to ensure my understanding is correct :
    I'm in a room with a Chasm in the middle, a rope hanging from the roof (which is at least 100m high) and display cases on the other side of it. I have been advised to get across this chasm and since my mapping of the area means there's no point in leaving the way I came in as I'll just wander in circles, that's probably the best course of action. Soet is on the same side of the chasm as me. There is no visible means of traversal other than the Tarzan method, I cannot reliably levitate, I can't transform, I am likely to miss if I jump for the rope but I'm unlikely to crit fumble the jump and bring this chunk of Soet with me.

"Hey, Blobzilla! How about a little help? Can't you bridge the gap for me and then turn into a giant mouth when I'm halfway across? How did all the stuff get over there in the first place?"

*optional : Assuming I get a gurgled blobular response that suggests strongly he's about to go mental again :

"Aaaaall aboard! CHOO CHOO!" OOC : Dragon-powered trains still go choo choo, don't they?
    Rather than try to reason her way around the problem, Othegre flings herself at full force towards the rope.

OOC: Your understanding is correct. Dragon powered trains still go choo-choo, peep-peep, chuga-chuga.
    "Hey, Blobzilla! How about a little help? Can't you bridge the gap for me and then turn into a giant mouth when I'm halfway across? How did all the stuff get over there in the first place?"
    Manic tendrils erupt from its surface and an aggressive gnashing has become audible.
    Rather than try to reason her way around the problem, Othegre flings herself at full force towards the rope.
    OOC: Give me a DEX you crazy vampire.

Ooc : 9! Oh wait, doesn't that also make me a lot easier to grab?

Othegre leaps into the air, grabs the rope and swings across to the other side.

The other side consists of the remains of a very old temple interior dedicated to Soet. The central alter contains the same smoky black depiction of him seen earlier. On the left and right are two large sets of drawers. Each four rows with four drawers.

On the other side Soet is back to his original form blob form and moves toward the chasm roaring at Othegre. He seems unable to cross.

A set of stairs lead up out into the sunlight.

OOC: If you open the drawers give me a direction and number, e.g. Left 7. Numbers go 1-16.

ooc : Check for traps, occasionally taking a look over my shoulder to ensure that my new chum hasn't taken my "build a bridge!" suggestion too seriously. Also take a look for any distinctive marks on the drawers while I'm doing it.

"What? There was never any risk.... what are you talking about, I only used the rope for effect, I can fly now, remember? ... well I didn't see you building me a set of gossamer wings or sticky hand pads, should I just have stood there and seasoned myself with salt and pepper?.... no! Of course I don't, who carries condiments on a tomb raid?... Then go live in his pocket. Now shut your tiny face, I'm trying to find traps. I have a diploma in magic engineering you know, if there's something afoot I'll find it.... Then go stand over there where you're not in any danger! You're being stupid, if one of these drawers was going to trigger a trap that pushes me into the chasm I - well I wouldn't open that drawer! If you see our friend coming this way, use the safe word."

The drawers have writing in a language Othegre is not familiar with on their surface, but no traps that she can see.

Soet is in fact attempting to extend its tendrils over the gap, but it's making a flimsy attempt at things. Although it can latch on to the other side, its bulk is simply too much for the thin tendrils to carry it across.

OOC : Ah come on, not even a clue? You're a mean LabLord!

"Eeeny...meeeny....miney....Right chest, 4th row, 3rd column"
    (R15?)

Saeros finds himself flashing through untold landscapes. A huge red sun over a blasted desert landscape with human slaves being led to cities rules by dragons, another with a band of knights marching under a banner with an teardrop laden eye, forests taller than any he has seen, a world no bigger than a town ruled by a vampire lord.

All he gets are images and these vague "impressions". Eventually he finds himself back in the original room. No chair, but he does have his magic cart.

• Advertisement

Othegre opens the drawer to find a single finger with a brass ring on it. Written in old Soetrardian on the ring is "Good, but don't be hungry".

Advertisement