Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suing yourself

Options
  • 20-11-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I heard today of someone who flipped their car (no other vehicle or persons involved) is thinking of suing himself!! - can you actually sue yourself and if so how does that actually work? - seems a bit crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I heard today of someone who flipped their car (no other vehicle or persons involved) is thinking of suing himself!! - can you actually sue yourself and if so how does that actually work? - seems a bit crazy!

Claim off his insurance, and screw him self over in increased premiums for the rest of his life maybe. Or done for fraud if it was deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Is this not the idea behind fully comprehensive insurance??

Ingenious..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Friend of mine was charged with careless driving causing harm, he injured himself so he was essentially charged for breaking himself up in a crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is this not the idea behind fully comprehensive insurance??

Does that not just cover the car and not your own personal injuries. So I thought anyway.

Can you just imagine the claims?

"Out of the blue and without warning I pressed the accelerator and not the brake..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

if you had schizophrenia maybe you could?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'd like to sue myself for one billion euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Remember a case from not too long ago, scumbag mother drives her car (with her own daughter as a passenger) and crashes it; didn’t have insurance.

Scumbag grandmother then sues daughter/insurance board for injuries that her granddaughter suffered.

Madness.

No, you can't sue yourself. For the simple reason that you can't give evidence against yourself, or instruct Counsel to cross examine yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

You can't sue yourself and you certainly can not claim against yourself for your own negligence.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Remember a case from not too long ago, scumbag mother drives her car (with her own daughter as a passenger) and crashes it; didn’t have insurance.

Scumbag grandmother then sues daughter/insurance board for injuries that her granddaughter suffered.

Madness.

But that's a completely different case. For obvious reasons, many cases will involve suing a friend or family member. Why would your grandmother be disentitled to claim on behalf of her granddaughter because they are related to the driver? That would be bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

But that's a completely different case. For obvious reasons, many cases will involve suing a friend or family member. Why would your grandmother be disentitled to claim on behalf of her granddaughter because they are related to the driver? That would be bizarre.

Bizarre is getting into a car without insurance.

Bizarre is getting into a car without insurance.

I have to admit I have never read the insurance policy for a driver before getting into a car. Do you? Really?

Either way, that's not the issue you raise, which is about suing a family member, not about who indemnifies it. Do you think an injured child should be precluded from suing through her grandmother because her mother was driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Friend of mine was charged with careless driving causing harm, he injured himself so he was essentially charged for breaking himself up in a crash

did he run himself over, because usually when you crash a car, you harm whatever you crash into, whether it's someone's hedge, or a lamp post, or the side of someone's house.

Careless driving is when you forget to indicate and someone beeps at you

Careless driving causing harm, is where the careless driving leads directly to a crash. The harm is caused to everyone else who has to ruin their day by tidying up after your mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

CardinalJ wrote: »
    You can't sue yourself and you certainly can not claim against yourself for your own negligence.

Careful now. This is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alot of car insurance policies do not have cover for injury to policy holder so while there will be cover for injury to passengers, the driver / policy holder will not get payout.
    It is however possible to add personal injury cover to most policies.
    I'd imagine you claim based on medical evidence following accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Why not fall down a hole and sue someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Does that not just cover the car and not your own personal injuries. So I thought anyway.

Can you just imagine the claims?

"Out of the blue and without warning I pressed the accelerator and not the brake..."

I know mine is supposed to cover my own medical expenses from a crash anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I know mine is supposed to cover my own medical expenses from a crash anyway

Which seems reasonable, but you'll not get a pay out for "Whiplash" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Akrasia wrote: »
    did he run himself over, because usually when you crash a car, you harm whatever you crash into, whether it's someone's hedge, or a lamp post, or the side of someone's house.

Careless driving is when you forget to indicate and someone beeps at you

Careless driving causing harm, is where the careless driving leads directly to a crash. The harm is caused to everyone else who has to ruin their day by tidying up after your mess

He came off a motorbike, no damage to any property or third party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Madness.

IIRC that case involved a young girl that ended up with catastrophic, life changing brain injuries and the little girl will require life long care, no amount of money in the world can make up for that.

To answer the OP, you can not claim for personal injuries from yourself. Most comp insurance policies will cover the policy holder for medical expenses which are usually capped at around €1000 but that's the height of it.

Advertisement