Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Union Campaign

Options
  • 20-11-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in the UK Civil Service. Recently, the Union of which I am a member have begun a campaign in opposition to the recognition in my job of non-UK qualifications.

This campaign is being advertised in my work place with the Union's issue being that thousands of qualified persons with foreign qualifications are having said qualifications recognised in the UK, and are hence taking jobs from British professionals.

There's no two ways about it; per this campaign, I am that foreigner taking that British job.

The campaign itself is titled in opposition to the the recognition of nonUK qualification recognition, however the information clearly makes reference to non-UK professionals.

I'm a bit put out by this. Whatever their aim, I don't think I should have to face this, through the various pamphlets and discussion, every day in my job. It's a pretty disheartening thing to walk into, particularly when otherwise I enjoy my role and carry it out to a high standard.

I'm just looking for opinions on this. Am I justified in being pissed off and is this sort of campaign allowed in the workplace?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I think you need to get over it. Directly or indirectly, the policy is in your best interest as it creates barriers to entry.

If it means a lot to you either ask the union rep to seek clarification from the union.

At that point you can either choose to stay in the union or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tenigate wrote:
    I think you need to get over it. Directly or indirectly, the policy is in your best interest as it creates barriers to entry.

I think the OP's issue is that under these proposed new rules their (presumably) Irish qualifications wouldn't be recognised.

It seems like quite an odious campaign, tbh. No doubt fuelled by Brexit.

I'm anti-Union in general but I'd definitely be leaving on the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Nasty campaign, I am not surprised you feel bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

First of all you should check if they are opposed to people already recognised or merely new recognisations.

Secondly can you quit your union. Obviously its not representing your inrerests if it is campaigning for your qualification to be thrown in the bin.

Advertisement