Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce Dublin

Options
  • 20-11-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Anyone doing it? I havent done it but wondering what bike to use, a mountain bike or racer? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Anyone doing it? I havent done it but wondering what bike to use, a mountain bike or racer? :confused:

Done it last year on a road bike was off the bike more than I was on it with the road surface I’d say it was even with people on MTB and road bikes. Thinking of doing again and will use my road bike.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Done it last year on a road bike was off the bike more than I was on it with the road surface I’d say it was even with people on MTB and road bikes. Thinking of doing again and will use my road bike.

I seen its a lot of off road so thought it might be better on the MTB! Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MickeyTake

Marty Bird,

You say you were off the bike more than you were on it, but you're still going to use the Road Bike again. Do you think the amount of time you lose (and hassle of carrying a bike) is worth it to go with the road bike anyway? Or are you only using a Road bike because you don't own an alternative?

I'm asking because I would like to do this event, but I only own a road bike and the thoughts of having to carry it are not very appealing.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

No need to carry it, you can just walk/run with it

If you're not out at the top of the race come the hills then you'll deffo be walking. Majority weren't able for the hills so once a few people dismount then everyone does

I'd deffo use my road bike again but make sure you've got puncture protection on your tyres, they're more important than the bike type imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

I did it last year and would be using a road bike again if I was doing it...there is a fairly bad section near the start through some muddy fields but most of the cycling is on decent roads, albeit last year they were very greasy (rear wheel spinning up while in the saddle). I wouldn't be bringing a fancy carbon road bike though as my bike got absolutely filthy
    Check out this pic (not me) for reference
    16836610_1229212777146252_9220930450328667314_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

MickeyTake wrote: »
    Marty Bird,

You say you were off the bike more than you were on it, but you're still going to use the Road Bike again. Do you think the amount of time you lose (and hassle of carrying a bike) is worth it to go with the road bike anyway? Or are you only using a Road bike because you don't own an alternative?

I'm asking because I would like to do this event, but I only own a road bike and the thoughts of having to carry it are not very appealing.

Thanks.

As others have said I ran with the bike on the bad sections at the start and I would definitely use a road bike if your doing it.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Would doing it on a hybrid be OK? I have a Giant escape. Don't want to bring the carbon roady through the muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Don’t suppose anyone has the route on Strava or Garmin Connect? I haven’t signed up for the race but would like to see some of these dreadful descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Don’t suppose anyone has the route on Strava or Garmin Connect? I haven’t signed up for the race but would like to see some of these dreadful descents.

you mean dreadful ascents , the decent is the fun part :)

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »

Ah now Grassey you're making me feel incredibly lazy. Probably should have done a quick search. I'm not normally that lazy. They even have the bike sections done as Strava segments. Nice. Thanks for that.

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    you mean dreadful ascents , the decent is the fun part :)

You could be right there. I was more thinking that I'm unlikely to fall off going up though I suppose I could have a low speed keeling over crash on an uphill.

Advertisement