Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change verified by visa from text to password

Options
  • 20-11-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to change my verified by Visa back to password rather than the text message passcode? I don't have phone coverage where I live so I'm not able to retrieve the passcode for any verified by visa payments. Therefore I cannot order anything online from home and can only be done by going to town or from work.

Please let me know how I can go about changing this back.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi,

Is it possible to change my verified by Visa back to password rather than the text message passcode? I don't have phone coverage where I live so I'm not able to retrieve the passcode for any verified by visa payments. Therefore I cannot order anything online from home and can only be done by going to town or from work.

Please let me know how I can go about changing this back.

Thanks
    Good Morning, thanks for getting in touch. 

Sorry, it's not possible to change this as you'll need to be able to receive the passcode by text message to complete an online purchase with a participating retailer.

If you are having difficulty with coverage in your area you may need to speak to your mobile network provider.

We have some FAQ's on passcodes here, please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krazymuthafuka

Is it not possible to just use my chosen password that worked before because that worked fine for me.

I have spoken to my mobile provider and unfortunately my coverage is not priority in such a rural area.

How do people pay online that don't have a mobile phone? Can't I use the same option as them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I have a visa debit card from tsb that uses a password for verified by Visa,  I had to use it yesterday with ticket master. Mabey a change of bank would sort out your issue.

Is it not possible to just use my chosen password that worked before because that worked fine for me.

I have spoken to my mobile provider and unfortunately my coverage is not priority in such a rural area.

How do people pay online that don't have a mobile phone? Can't I use the same option as them?
    If you're shopping online with a retailer that uses verified by visa then you'll need to get the passcode by text message. 

Sorry but there's no longer an option to use a password to complete your purchase. 

Thanks, Nicola 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BOI stepped backwards here. 

SS7, the protocol used to deliver SMS to you, is from the 1970s and IS NOT SECURE. Forcing customers onto it is an attempt to save money by reducing customer support calls at the cost of security.

Join Number26, none of this messing. 

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    BOI stepped backwards here. 

SS7, the protocol used to deliver SMS to you, is from the 1970s and IS NOT SECURE. Forcing customers onto it is an attempt to save money by reducing customer support calls at the cost of security.

Join Number26, none of this messing. 
    Thanks for your post ED E

3D Secure is payment authentication standard for internet purchases which adds an extra layer of security when purchasing online. It helps to protect you from unauthorised use when spending online.

A one-time passcode is a random number. When you use 3D Secure, a passcode is automatically sent to the mobile phone number you have provided to us. The passcode will only be valid for the online purchase you have received it for.

You’ve a number of attempts and a set amount of time to enter the passcode correctly. If you do not enter the passcode within a set amount of time it will expire.

I’ll certainly pass your comments on here and please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Nicola 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

If someone finds/steals your card and knows your phone number. All they have to do is walk into a phone shop and gets a replacement SIM card for the phone number.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    If someone finds/steals your card and knows your phone number. All they have to do is walk into a phone shop and gets a replacement SIM card for the phone number.
    Hi Tow, 

In the event that your card is lost or stolen we do recommend that you contact our 24 hour helpline on 1890 706 706 (+353 567 757 007 if calling from abroad) immediately so that we can take the necessary precautions to protect your account and cancel your card to ensure that it can no longer be used.

Thanks, Nicola 

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krazymuthafuka

RustyNut wrote: »
    I have a visa debit card from tsb that uses a password for verified by Visa,  I had to use it yesterday with ticket master. Mabey a change of bank would sort out your issue.

Thanks RustyNut,
    This is good to know. I'll do some research and see what my options are in relation to providers using this method. It's becoming quite irritating that I can't do any purchases from home on this card.

Advertisement