Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick days

Options
  • 21-11-2017 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

If you're on part time hours and are timetabled for two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday, and if you're absent on the Tuesday and return to work the following Tuesday, are you marked out for seven days even though you technically only missed two timetabled days?

And let's say, you're out on the Tuesday but return on the Thursday, is that one or two days absent?

I'm trying to see if it's similar to how they treat the weekends, i.e. out for Friday and then Monday and it being counted as four days absent instead of two.

Thanks a million. ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’m not 100% on this but I think it counts as a full week out sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Yes you're right. Union confirmed today. That annoys me, how weekends etc count as sick days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can get yourself certified as fit to work for the other days,so if you were better on the Friday get a cert from your dr to say this and your weekend or other non working days aren't marked as sick days.

You can get yourself certified as fit to work for the other days,so if you were better on the Friday get a cert from your dr to say this and your weekend or other non working days aren't marked as sick days.

Okay so I'd have to get sick certs for the days I can't work but am due to work and then certs saying I'm fit to work for the days I'm not timetabled? Therefore not being marked absent for days I don't usually work. Would that also work for teachers who are out Fridays and Mondays? If they got a cert to say they were fit to work on the Saturday and Sunday? I'm wondering why everyone doesn't do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Presume you'd have to pay the doctor...again!

• Advertisement

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Presume you'd have to pay the doctor...again!

But it's roughly €15 per cert no?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Depends on the doc I suppose? Not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Emmser I went through a rigmarole last year. On your cert just get days you are going to miss school on it. So cert would say unfit for work tuesday-Thursday. If you come into school the following Tuesday you only use 3 days sick leave. Now I don’t know if you would get away with two single day Certs? So only use 2 sick days? Ring the leave section in the department, they are extremely helpful.

My wages are based on 7 days so I can see why they take Saturday and Sunday.....what annoys me is taking mid terms and Easter holidays etc!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Emmser wrote: »
    Okay so I'd have to get sick certs for the days I can't work but am due to work and then certs saying I'm fit to work for the days I'm not timetabled? Therefore not being marked absent for days I don't usually work. Would that also work for teachers who are out Fridays and Mondays? If they got a cert to say they were fit to work on the Saturday and Sunday? I'm wondering why everyone doesn't do that?
    Unlikely you'd get certs for Friday and Monday and then be "ok" for the weekend :)

I never got fit for work Certs in between? Are they not just for when you are out for a certain period? Whichever way I staggered sick leave last year I never had to get social welfare Certs either. My sick leave was pregnancy related so I used to try and drag myself in so it wouldn’t count as 7 days (or longer for holidays).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Millem wrote: »
    My wages are based on 7 days so I can see why they take Saturday and Sunday.....what annoys me is taking mid terms and Easter holidays etc!
    This hasn’t come up for me so far but just thinking about it has me fuming (again). Unless you’re teaching on Saturday and Sunday, your wages are NOT based on seven days, they’re based on five. It is inexcusable that they would consider them sick days just because you missed the Friday and Monday. I know that this isn’t just an issue for teachers but it’s unbelievable that the unions aren’t insisting on this being changed, across the entire public sector. If you didn’t have to be in work, you weren’t out sick. End of story.

RealJohn wrote: »
    This hasn’t come up for me so far but just thinking about it has me fuming (again). Unless you’re teaching on Saturday and Sunday, your wages are NOT based on seven days, they’re based on five. It is inexcusable that they would consider them sick days just because you missed the Friday and Monday. I know that this isn’t just an issue for teachers but it’s unbelievable that the unions aren’t insisting on this being changed, across the entire public sector. If you didn’t have to be in work, you weren’t out sick. End of story.

Our wages are based on 7 days according to payroll. You might not agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Millem wrote: »
    Our wages are based on 7 days according to payroll. You might not agree with it.
    Payroll can say what they like. We work five days so our wages are based on five days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Because the Dr would have to lie....???!!!

Why would you be unfit for work... and then fit..... and then unfit again with the same illness.....

Why do patients think that it is ok to ask their Dr to.lie?

What would an employer think of a Dr who writes certs like that......

Payroll can say what they like. We work five days so our wages are based on five days.

Well if it’s a strike day we lose 1/7 not 1/5. I don’t agree with it based over 7 days but it is. The same way I don’t agree with us losing bank holidays or school closures taking parental leave. :(:(
    Or when my paid maternity leave is up (on a Friday I have to start my unpaid on a Saturday!!!
    The op needs to be savvy with regards to sick leave and try and drag herself in at all costs. I would of used up all my full paid sick leave this pregnancy if I hadn’t dragged myself in on certain days. Very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

What has you annoyed? If you're sick Friday, and are still sick on Monday, then in all likelihood, you were sick the weekend too.

Unless you got so much better by Saturday, from and illness bad enough to keep you off work on Friday, and then so sick again by Monday that you couldn't work.

If it was counted as two individual days where you didn't need to be certified, can you just imagine how many people would go away for the weekend.

Also, this is how almost every other workplace works in this country. Saturday and Sunday are referred to as rest days.

Wesser wrote: »
    Because the Dr would have to lie....???!!!

Why would you be unfit for work... and then fit..... and then unfit again with the same illness.....

Why do patients think that it is ok to ask their Dr to.lie?

What would an employer think of a Dr who writes certs like that......

Should have stated, I had severe HG on my previous pregnancy. Thankfully most of the bad patch was during summer holidays. Naturally it's a worry if I try again in the next few years, hence why I went down to two days work. I thought it might help me out. I didn't realise whilst doing so I could be marked out for seven days work when in fact I only missed two, as I work two days a week. I'm trying to avoid missing so many days that I go down to half pay of my half pay if you understand what I mean.

If I was an opportunist I'd go back full time, get pregnant and even if my wages dropped to half I'd still be on the same wage as I am today but would get full wage maternity pay. BUT I don't believe in playing the system so I won't.

It was my doctor who suggested I research all of this prior to considering anything. It hardly seems fair that if you work only two days of a week and you miss both, you are marked out for seven? But that's just the system I guess! A little messed up.

Should have stated, I had severe HG on my previous pregnancy. Thankfully most of the bad patch was during summer holidays. Naturally it's a worry if I try again in the next few years, hence why I went down to two days work. I thought it might help me out. I didn't realise whilst doing so I could be marked out for seven days work when in fact I only missed two, as I work two days a week. I'm trying to avoid missing so many days that I go down to half pay of my half pay if you understand what I mean.

If I was an opportunist I'd go back full time, get pregnant and even if my wages dropped to half I'd still be on the same wage as I am today but would get full wage maternity pay. BUT I don't believe in playing the system so I won't.

It was my doctor who suggested I research all of this prior to considering anything. It hardly seems fair that if you work only two days of a week and you miss both, you are marked out for seven? But that's just the system I guess! A little messed up.

Emmser it is a joke.
    You are dead right to Suss it out now.

Advertisement