Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading the wind

• 21-11-2017 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

small bore .22lr at 100 and 50m, Im hoping to do some shooting over the winter months, and do some work on shooting in the wind. Im looking for some tips on reading the wind

Im guessing some sort of wind flags will be of benefit. Then I need to know how to read them.
    I think I'd be ok in a constant wind, but lost when it come to changing or worse again say if its one direction at firing point and different direction at target.
    Any help on reading and shooting in the wind would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Reading the wind is what Rimfire Benchrest is all about. 50m target distance shooting from a bench using wind flags. The NRBAI organise competitions and introduction days for this. I personally use 4 wind flags in a row but will change next year. The flags will be in different positions and angles down the length of the range with the closest to the shooter normally being the most important. You need each flag to indicate wind direction and speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Thanks for that, so its the wind nearest the muzzle that will move the bullet most, Im shooting prone mostly with a small bit of informal Bench, 50 and 100m but reading the wind is something I have never worked on, so its time to address that lol. I want to try and shoot different wind conditions and log what is happening on the target, and try and learn from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

You need lots of practice, a small bit of knowledge (knowing about "Kentucky Windage" is often enough) and get used to making "SWAG's" ;)

You need lots of practice, a small bit of knowledge (knowing about "Kentucky Windage" is often enough) and get used to making "SWAG's" ;)

Thanks, I'm looking to be able to read the wind so that I don't have to use Kentucky windage, read the wind know what its doing and dial it in, that's the goal lol.

oh and what is SWAG's ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm looking to be able to read the wind so that I don't have to use Kentucky windage, read the wind know what its doing and dial it in, that's the goal lol.

oh and what is SWAG's ?

Reading the wind is a skill that can be learned, to a degree.

It appears you will be only on a range environment so use a stick/s with a very light ribbon/s attached (no need for fancy stuff some BR types use :p )

Consistency is what you're hoping for eg all "flag/s" in same position for all shots. Dialling in for every shot is OTT & unnecessary in my opinion.

I shoot old school. Fire with flag/s in a position of least wind, get point of impact, work out kentucky windage (or if you're into the new techno scopes diall in correction), shoot when flag/s are in same position as original shot. Won more than I've lost this way ;)

SWAG's = Scientific Wild Ass Guess :) ...... what you end up using as wind reading is NOT an exact science ;)

Thanks, I believe I am on your wave length, instead of ribbon I was going to cut a bin liner into strips and use that.
    I may have worded it wrong when I said I was going to dial it in, agree with what u say, I wont be dialing every shot, but think I'd dial to get my zero and try and shoot those conditions .

Oh and I got the G correct in SWAG's I knew it had to be guess, cus at the end of the day that's what we r doing when reading the wind, or in my case not reading the wind lol

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

Advertisement