Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best raingear for cycling ( budget )

Options
  • 21-11-2017 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys

Rainy season here

Can anyone advise on best full body and head rain gear ideally covering face and easily foldable

All the raingear had before is more or well rubbish as always end up soaked to bone

Advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I wear normal clothes, and over them I wear Altura rain trousers, Montane featherlite rain smock and a rain hat, which I think is really for anglers. The rain trousers are a bit heavy in the summer, I find, but good for this time of year, and keep your legs dry except when rain is very heavy. The rain smock is ok for drizzle, but eventually gets wet; however, even at that stage, it does help keep you warm, and usually will dry within two hours or so when hung up. The rain hat is pretty effective, but looks a bit silly (the two sides can be velcroed up, and have to be to stop the brim dipping over your eyes in the wind) and probably would be awkward and sweaty if you wear a helmet; in the latter scenario, you can get something like shower cap for helmets; they also look a little bit outlandish).

Full mudguards and a front mudflap mean that hiking-style shoes are sufficient to keep my feet dry, even in very heavy rain, as I don't have a problem with spray from the front wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I wear normal clothes, and over them I wear Altura rain trousers

Tomas,

You might find RainLegs useful. They keep the bits that get wet (thighs) dry without making the rest sweat. Much easier to deploy/stow than the trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Tomas,

You might find RainLegs useful. They keep the bits that get wet (thighs) dry without making the rest sweat. Much easier to deploy/stow than the trousers.
    Assless chaps for cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Assless chaps for cycling!

beat me to it...

beat me to it...
    Yeah, that's what jumped into my mind too! But Tobias Fünke-style, with cutoffs visible underneath.

1x09_Storming_the_Castle_(54).png

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Tomas,

I think I will look into them alright. The only thing I can think of is that my cycling rain gear is also my walking rain gear, so the full trousers are useful for walking in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

any links for decent rain gear?

is bike suit any use ?

Advertisement