Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for Condell Road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

marno21 wrote: »
    Because the Condell Road has few accesses and has very good sight lines for a 50km/h. It's a higher standard of road than most 80km/h roads and a fair few 100km/h roads.

60km/h at least should be put in here. It's a challenge to keep the car below 50km/h on the road at present

Two new housing developments are going to access on to it. If it's a challenge to keep the car at 50kph maybe ramps would help?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zulutango wrote: »
    Two new housing developments are going to access on to it. If it's a challenge to keep the car at 50kph maybe ramps would help?

Have you driven the Condell Road yourself at all?

Yes, many times. I know the area very well as a motorist, cyclist and pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

zulutango wrote:

You think we should put ramps on the condell road !!!!!
    Sometimes i wonder are you deliberately trying to annoy people with this pro pedestrian/cyclist let's cover all roads in grass and paving agenda.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Plenty of development along the Dublin Road and its 60km/h. Very frequent uncontrolled accesses with right turns permitted. The Dublin Road from Annacotty out is 80km/h and doesn't seem to cause problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Go for it. 80kmh sounds good.

Better than this one anyway: https://i.imgur.com/TjFuFdN.jpg

Regards cycling, I often cycle to Bunratty or Castleconnell in the hard shoulder and it doesn't bother me if a truck passes at the speed limit while it's in the driving lane. The splash after trucks drive past on a wet day is a bit annoying though.

They should put those remote traffic light indicators about 200m away from the three sets of lights on the road.
    Do you know the ones that flash amber when the button on the pedestrian light is pushed, to indicate to drivers that the lights are due to change from green to red?
    That'll sort out any safety issues with the proposed speed limit - in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

RAMPS ????? On a Main Road ? Would you ever get real ?. If you can show me a way to economically provide ramps which allow me to drive over them at 49 km/h without upsetting either myself or my car (in a 50 km/h zone), then put as many as you want down.
    But, having to slow down to 10/15 km/h in a 50 km/h zone to negotiate a lump of tar is just ridiculous. It is damaging to both Cars and the Environment.

If they want a road like this to have a 50km/h limit they should simply pay for fixed speed cameras along it's length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about this? I took this picture North of Tuam years ago. Most of these rural L road signs have been replaced with a sign telling you to exercise common sense speed limit but limit is still 80kmh.

PICT0035-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the current 50km/h limit is great for all the people who dig into their phone as they follow the tail lights of the car in front on the condell road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It's not "their environment" - it's one of the main road routes in to the city from the Clare side. Traffic flow + progress should take precedence over any leisure activites, and that includes cycling.

While I am not opposed to an increase in the speed limit on the Condell Road I do take issue with this. Since when is cycling solely a 'leisure activity' that impedes traffic flow+progress :confused: I commute everyday by bike to work and college. I cycle out the Condell Rd to use Tesco and the gym at Coonagh Cross. I know a lot of people that commute by bike on the Condell Road from Caherdavin into town. The Condell Road is one, if not the only, pleasant and safe road for cyclists in Limerick.

I'm not sure how this segregated bike lane will work? Will they keep the existing one and just put up bollards to protect it? I can't see any problem with that imo. The 50km/h speed limit is a bit ridiculous and just encourages phone watching as frozenfrozen said.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote:
    You think we should put ramps on the condell road !!!!! Sometimes i wonder are you deliberately trying to annoy people with this pro pedestrian/cyclist let's cover all roads in grass and paving agenda.

Where did I say we should put ramps there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Before they spend a cent on that road the priority should be the continuation of the cycle lane over the bridge into town. None of the 3 bridges into town have a cycle lane, you feel extremely vulnerable on a bike crossing that bridge.
    Whatever your view is on the current V proposed speed limit, at least the road in its current state feels relatively safe as a cyclist, the bridge does not and requires remediation.
    Marty.

panda100 wrote:
    The 50km/h speed limit is a bit ridiculous and just encourages phone watching

So the speed limit should be increased to discourage use of phones while driving? :D

I often cycle to Bunratty or Castleconnell in the hard shoulder and it doesn't bother me if a truck passes at the speed limit while it's in the driving lane. The splash after trucks drive past on a wet day is a bit annoying though.

It's only 5 or 6 months since a cyclist was killed at Bunratty. I heard from somebody close to the family that they believe he was in the hard shoulder. Another cyclist was killed in the opposite side of the road a few years previously. He was hit on the slip lane. Be careful. It's a dangerous road.

I often cycle to Bunratty or Castleconnell in the hard shoulder and it doesn't bother me if a truck passes at the speed limit while it's in the driving lane. The splash after trucks drive past on a wet day is a bit annoying though.

It's only 5 or 6 months since a cyclist was killed at Bunratty. I heard from somebody close to the family that they believe he was in the hard shoulder. Another cyclist was killed in the opposite side of the road a few years previously. He was hit on the slip lane. Be careful. It's a dangerous road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

With the potential for increasing the speed limit on the road, now is the perfect opportunity to build a specific walking/cycling lane from Limerick to Shannon. Obviously more cycling, of course, this could take in Cratloe, Bunratty and join up with the old road into Newmarket on Fergus. I have cycled from Shannon to Limerick to go to work and the terrifying part was the Condell Road from Coonagh onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

marno21 wrote:
    60km/h at least should be put in here. It's a challenge to keep the car below 50km/h on the road at present

A challenge?? Just ease off the throttle a little bit. You're still likely to arrive at your intended destination on time and in a relaxed state of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

As a matter of interest, how much time saved do people reckon there is by travelling at 80?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

As a matter of interest, how much time saved do people reckon there is by travelling at 80?

we could all do 5kmh on that road and sure it's only an extra 2 minutes just leave earlier :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Before they spend a cent on that road the priority should be the continuation of the cycle lane over the bridge into town. None of the 3 bridges into town have a cycle lane, you feel extremely vulnerable on a bike crossing that bridge.
    Whatever your view is on the current V proposed speed limit, at least the road in its current state feels relatively safe as a cyclist, the bridge does not and requires remediation.
    Marty.

100% agree Marty. There desperately needs to be a cycle lane on Shannon Bridge in particular. Lots of children and families cycling on the pavements to get to school and lots of commuters using that bridge also. There really is no space for cyclists at all and two lanes for cars. A cycle lane could easily put on that bridge imo.

I cycle over Sarsfield Bridge numerous times a day and it's a similar situation. The very bumpy road surface dips inbetween the pavement and road making it even more difficult to cycle. I have had many a wobble too close to cars for comfort on that bridge, so much that I usually cycle down the middle of the road instead and many other cyclists do this too. The pavements on that bridge, especially where the barriers are up close to the boat houses are also very narrow. I often see people walking on the roads to overtake people around these barriers.

Not sure what the option is here unless to make that bridge one way system for cars and add wider pavements and cycle lane, or add some type of suspensions to either side of the bridge but they may take away from how pretty the bridge is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

panda100 wrote: »
    100% agree Marty. There desperately needs to be a cycle lane on Shannon Bridge in particular. Lots of children and families cycling on the pavements to get to school and lots of commuters using that bridge also. There really is no space for cyclists at all and two lanes for cars. A cycle lane could easily put on that bridge imo.

I cycle over Sarsfield Bridge numerous times a day and it's a similar situation. The very bumpy road surface dips inbetween the pavement and road making it even more difficult to cycle. I have had many a wobble too close to cars for comfort on that bridge, so much that I usually cycle down the middle of the road instead and many other cyclists do this too. The pavements on that bridge, especially where the barriers are up close to the boat houses are also very narrow. I often see people walking on the roads to overtake people around these barriers.

Not sure what the option is here unless to make that bridge one way system for cars and add wider pavements and cycle lane, or add some type of suspensions to either side of the bridge but they may take away from how pretty the bridge is :)

Sarsfield bridge is lethal for cyclists... the road falls away pretty bad towards the pavement.. you get sucked towards pavement.
    I think a boardwalk on one of those bridges would be the best solution.
    I cycle with the kids to school over Shannon bridge even though I live closer to sarsfield bridge, my logic being it's the safer of the two for them to cycle on the footpath as there are less pedestrians on Shannon bridge. (I wouldn't let them cycle on the road on either). I cycle on the road beside them.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hairyhiker

Some of the comments here are frankly quite shocking. There is a serious sense of entitlement among car drivers here even though the road is for all transport modes (pedestrian, cyclist, bus and car) alike. I can’t believe there are people who, for the sake of saving maybe 1-2 mins on their journey would support a speed limit that will seriously affect the safety of more vulnerable road users. Have we no patience? There are a number of pedestrian crossings used regularly by people crossing over and back to places like Westfields and the public park across from Barrington’s Pier which is one of the major reasons why there is 50 kph limit. There was one comment referring to how the speed limit was there to ‘frustrate’ drivers - seriously?! The speed limit is about safety not testing driver patience.

There were also comments about how an increased speed limit would help traffic flow and progress and yet the car is the most inefficient, unsustainable use of road space. The article refers to tailbacks and thinks increasing the speed limit will help. I’m worried for the state of our council and their traffic management policy if they think that’s a solution. Increasing the speed limit only get’s traffic to the next set of lights quicker. If we want to seriously address traffic flow and progress then we should be investing in public transport and being more efficient in how we commute e.g. carpooling, company bus runs etc. Can we have a modicum of patience and concern for fellow road users please.

May they rest in peace.

Everyone on the road needs to be aware of their surroundings and that the road is to be shared by all. Unfortunately there are occasions when concentration lapses and it only takes half a second to injure, be injured or worse.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    With the potential for increasing the speed limit on the road, now is the perfect opportunity to build a specific walking/cycling lane from Limerick to Shannon. Obviously more cycling, of course, this could take in Cratloe, Bunratty and join up with the old road into Newmarket on Fergus. I have cycled from Shannon to Limerick to go to work and the terrifying part was the Condell Road from Coonagh onwards.

Brilliant idea.

may I add another suggestion. A walking/cycling track to Killaloe along the river would be a great addition to the area in terms of commuting and tourism.
    Another one to Limerick Junction alongside the rail track. Then run trains to Limerick every 30 minutes and voila, developers will develop and we'll have ourselves a nice town to house people and they are not isolated from the city.

panda100 wrote: »

Stay cycling in the middle of the lane on the two older bridges. Not so sure about the newer one.
    On Sarsfield bridge a car will get caught in the lights so I don't see it being an issue for motorists.
    Thomond bridge is bounded by pedestrian crossings so drivers are aware that they may be slowing or stopping.
    Shannon Bridge? Well what is the deal with drivers here? Leaving town it's like a grand prix while entering town there are two lanes and sometimes it appears like there's a race to the pedestrian walkway.

hairyhiker wrote: »
    Some of the comments here are frankly quite shocking. There is a serious sense of entitlement among car drivers here even though the road is for all transport modes (pedestrian, cyclist, bus and car) alike. I can’t believe there are people who, for the sake of saving maybe 1-2 mins on their journey would support a speed limit that will seriously affect the safety of more vulnerable road users. Have we no patience? There are a number of pedestrian crossings used regularly by people crossing over and back to places like Westfields and the public park across from Barrington’s Pier which is one of the major reasons why there is 50 kph limit. There was one comment referring to how the speed limit was there to ‘frustrate’ drivers - seriously?! The speed limit is about safety not testing driver patience.

There were also comments about how an increased speed limit would help traffic flow and progress and yet the car is the most inefficient, unsustainable use of road space. The article refers to tailbacks and thinks increasing the speed limit will help. I’m worried for the state of our council and their traffic management policy if they think that’s a solution. Increasing the speed limit only get’s traffic to the next set of lights quicker. If we want to seriously address traffic flow and progress then we should be investing in public transport and being more efficient in how we commute e.g. carpooling, company bus runs etc. Can we have a modicum of patience and concern for fellow road users please.

Well said.
    The road is shared by all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What I think people are forgetting here is that the speed limit isn't enforced properly, so in practice most vehicles on the Condell Road tend to travel a bit over 60 kmph already. A change would just be recognising the reality of how the road is used, as opposed to suddenly making it less safe.

What I think people are forgetting here is that the speed limit isn't enforced properly, so in practice most vehicles on the Condell Road tend to travel a bit over 60 kmph already. A change would just be recognising the reality of how the road is used, as opposed to suddenly making it less safe.

Yes. When the R road 80kmh limit came in shortly after we went KMH/KPH Cork County Council were the first to say "feck this" and reworked many of their R roads to 100kmh instead.

Even their N25 is 120kmh and it's not even a Motorway. Progressive thinking on a road for road basis. Not just an "increase them all" either.

We're lagging way behind.

Example. R503 to Thurles(Limerick section). There is only ONE widened section with signage from years ago saying about Widening the road. The only safe and widened section you can safely overtake is a long straight by the "salt pits" and the speed drops to 60kmh. It's a Garda speed trap shooting fish in a barrel location for that reason. If you stick to the 60kmh or even just over you get overtaken by everyone behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

I was hoping people might throw up what they think...but hey.

The numbers say that under ideal conditions, the time saving is less than 1 minute.

When it's busy this figure will drop off to little or nothing because you'll just have bigger loading at junctions (ie. you'll get through the road quicker, but will spend longer waiting at the lights/roundabout, or some other junction on your way).

...I just think we get in a fuss about nothing on things like this. We like going faster because it feels like we're getting there much quicker, not because we are.

• Advertisement

Example for speeding up to get you there quicker is the Newlands Cross Flyover in Clondalkin. It was a nightmare and traffic going nowhere. Now it's Freeflow so the tailback moved further out the road to Nass North which is now the new N7 Nightmare.

Advertisement