Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for Condell Road

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

They cycle on the hard shoulder from what I can see. But the Council certainly should put in cycle lanes there and consider decreasing the speed limit to make it safer, especially given that so many students are going to be based at LIT's new campus in Coonagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

Take a look at any bus in Dublin City centre and look at the marks which run along the side of it. All cause intentionally by cyclists on the quays.
    maybe i'm reading this wrong, but I genuinely can't figure out how that would happen.

If a bike makes contact with bus it'll bump-off (at most) leaving a spot. A streak all along the side would have to be something like a wing-mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

maybe i'm reading this wrong, but I genuinely can't figure out how that would happen.

If a bike makes contact with bus it'll bump-off (at most) leaving a spot. A streak all along the side would have to be something like a wing-mirror.

It is done on purpose by cyclists when not in a cycle lane. They have little space on the inside so run the brake handle on the bike the length of the bus.

My brother in law works for Dublin bus as a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Scraping a handlebar off a vehicle, even a stationery one, would make it fairly impossible for the cyclist to control the bike unless he was barely moving and just pushing the bike forward with his feet. Notwithstanding that, are you saying that this is a very common practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

It is done on purpose by cyclists when not in a cycle lane. They have little space on the inside so run the brake handle on the bike the length of the bus.

I really have to call bull**** on that.

You couldn't possibly cycle along pressing against a bus like that. You'd stop or fall off almost straight away. The brake handle also doesn't stick out to the end of the handle-bars so it's not what would make contact. Unless you're suggesting that people stop, pick up their bikes and then run them along the bus.

...and why? You think that people are just going around deliberately vandalising buses? Cyclists aren't out to get anyone, they're happy to just get home from work without getting run over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

As an avid cyclist, ex mountain biker, ex biker that is nonsense. The second your handlebar would hit something you would immediately be pushed harder into that object...= immediate ejection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Just popped into my head there, the speed limit from Clonmacken Roundabout to Coonagh Roundabout is 60 and there are no cycle lanes. Do the cyclists get off their bikes at Clonmacken Roundabout and walk to Coonagh or must they cycle round by Ivans and join up with it on the Ennis Road?

the hard shoulders there are much wider than the cycle lanes on the other side of the roundabout so basically are safer than the actual real cycle lanes. So many cycle lanes here aren't joined up thinking at all. unbelieveably there is a 10m cycle lane just before the roundabout coming from Coonagh on the left hand side. It starts in middle of nowhere beside the footpath, it ends at the end of the footpath and leaves the cyclist nowhere but in limbo BUT it counts in the overall xkms of cycle paths the council can claim are in the city. Leave the speed limits alone - its in the middle of a civic amenity area, much used by cyclists, runners and pedestrians all crossing over and back and is a valuable cycle lane area for city commuters. Its also virtually the only stretch of km where cyclists can actually train in relative safety with 4 city cycling clubs and numerous individuals vs a minute faster arrival at destination point for motorists.

martyc5674 wrote: »

As an avid cyclist, ex mountain biker, ex biker that is nonsense. The second your handlebar would hit something you would immediately be pushed harder into that object...= immediate ejection!
    How long have you been driving the bus in Dublin?

I really have to call bull**** on that.

You couldn't possibly cycle along pressing against a bus like that. You'd stop or fall off almost straight away. The brake handle also doesn't stick out to the end of the handle-bars so it's not what would make contact. Unless you're suggesting that people stop, pick up their bikes and then run them along the bus.

...and why? You think that people are just going around deliberately vandalising buses? Cyclists aren't out to get anyone, they're happy to just get home from work without getting run over.
    434767.jpg
    Incidents like this happen all day, everyday, over time the build up of damage to the side of the bus occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

Bump anything ever come of this?

Road remains frustratingly slow.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

gambithh wrote: »
    Bump anything ever come of this?

Road remains frustratingly slow.:mad:

Yup, they're building a housing estate on it so there's going to be no change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just stick on the cruise control and relax guys

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just stick on the cruise control and relax guys

My car doesn't have cruise control. Rabble rabble rabble. :mad:

I run, cycle and drive on the Condell Road quite often and still wish the speed limit was higher there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If they’re building social housing on it, it’s unlikely they’ll raise it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

There has been improvement in adherence to the speed limit on this road in my experience. I travel this road quite often and always use cruise control at 50. It seems that there are less cars obviously catching up with me and less obviously driving away in front.
    It's a short stretch of road. Used very frequently by walkers, runners, cyclists etc. Speed limit is appropriate.

Reading back this thread the comments about bikes damaging Dublin buses is hilarious! Wont someone think of the double deckers!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There has been improvement in adherence to the speed limit on this road in my experience. I travel this road quite often and always use cruise control at 50. It seems that there are less cars obviously catching up with me and less obviously driving away in front.
    It's a short stretch of road. Used very frequently by walkers, runners, cyclists etc. Speed limit is appropriate.

Definitely not my experience and I drive the road 5 days a week at rush hour.. Average speed is 60 kph and people doing the speed limit always have a trail of traffic behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Frustratingly slow road much quicker to turn at the lights and go straight on past Gaelic Grounds. Speed limit is ridiculous. We should be able to use bus lane after 7pm and all days at weekends as you can in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Definitely not my experience and I drive the road 5 days a week at rush hour.. Average speed is 60 kph and people doing the speed limit always have a trail of traffic behind them.

Do you know why there is a trail of traffic behind them? It's because they werent doing the speed limit. And its a limit not a target :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    Do you know why there is a trail of traffic behind them? It's because they werent doing the speed limit. And its a limit not a target :D

Ah, yeah they are doing the speed limit. I'm well aware of what speed I'm traveling at when I'm in a queue of traffic and it's always at or above 50kph.

Advertisement