Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I notify the gards?

Options
  • 21-11-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Lads,

I was granted a firearms license a while back on the premise the gun would be stored in my Gun club. However, I'm now looking to buy a gun safe and fully comply with regulations etc but I'm wondering should I notify the Gards about it or just install it myself considering i already have the licence. I'd prefer not to unintentionally break any laws and what not haha.

The plan is to cut a void in the drywall and bolt it to the bricks behind it.

Appreciate the advice in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If its a condition on the granting of your license you have no choice but to inform the guards. I would do it sooner rather than later. What type of firearm is it?

As for the way your mounting it thats what i did, can i suggest you go a bit wider and fix angle iron along the edge of the safe aswell. I also tech 7 the back of it the bolts and any exposed gaps. Now all that is a waste of time if they really want the firearms if youve room put an IKEA press around it to hide it from view.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

If its a condition on the granting of your license you have no choice but to inform the guards. I would do it sooner rather than later. What type of firearm is it?

As for the way your mounting it thats what i did, can i suggest you go a bit wider and fix angle iron along the edge of the safe aswell. I also tech 7 the back of it the bolts and any exposed gaps. Now all that is a waste of time if they really want the firearms if youve room put an IKEA press around it to hide it from view.

Ah right right, yeah that's what I thought, I was just looking for an opinion. I appreciate the tips on installation. At the moment I've a CZ 455. Shoots like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

My opinion is by all means inform the Garda as a courtesy. Unless it specifically states on your license or grant letter that the gun must be stored in the gun club then you won’t be breaking any laws by taking it home. If indeed it does state on your license that it must be stored in the gun club then I would imagine you would need to reapply for the license to lift that restriction. Worst case scenario would be to get stopped at a checkpoint with the gun in the boot or worse still your house broken in to and gun stolen and your license states “ storage at gun club use only”
    Regarding the installation. I would maybe opt for a bigger safe say a ten gun before I go cutting holes in the plasterboard. I know personally I have changed safes 3 times in the last 2 years just for more storage as I increase the number of guns and all the accessories that go with them. In my case I have the safe bolted to a solid wall in a small room but I beefed up the locks on the door in to the room and put the room on a separate zone on my alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not a courtesy, it's a legal requirement.
    Luckysasha wrote:
    Unless it specifically states on your license or grant letter that the gun must be stored in the gun club then you won’t be breaking any laws by taking it home.
    It's on every licence. You're asked as part of section four where you are going to be storing the firearm and there are security requirements laid down in law by an SI. If you change where you store it, you have to notify the Gardai because that's a change in your licencing conditions.

Fill out an FCA2 form and send it in specifying the change in storage location.
    Note that depending on your security requirements they may want to send out the CPO to inspect the safe.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    My opinion is by all means inform the Garda as a courtesy. Unless it specifically states on your license or grant letter that the gun must be stored in the gun club then you won’t be breaking any laws by taking it home. If indeed it does state on your license that it must be stored in the gun club then I would imagine you would need to reapply for the license to lift that restriction. Worst case scenario would be to get stopped at a checkpoint with the gun in the boot or worse still your house broken in to and gun stolen and your license states “ storage at gun club use only”
    Regarding the installation. I would maybe opt for a bigger safe say a ten gun before I go cutting holes in the plasterboard. I know personally I have changed safes 3 times in the last 2 years just for more storage as I increase the number of guns and all the accessories that go with them. In my case I have the safe bolted to a solid wall in a small room but I beefed up the locks on the door in to the room and put the room on a separate zone on my alarm system.

All it's states on the grant letter is to remove the bolt and store component parts in separate locations. Then on the reverse it's states:

"That the conditions as set out in section 4 or the firearms act 1925 as substitutes by section 32(4)(2) of the criminal justice act 2006 gave been complied with"

There are no additional conditions so is it safe to say, storage in the gun club is not a condition on the license?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    It's not a courtesy, it's a legal requirement.

It's on every licence. You're asked as part of section four where you are going to be storing the firearm and there are security requirements laid down in law by an SI. If you change where you store it, you have to notify the Gardai because that's a change in your licencing conditions.

Fill out an FCA2 form and send it in specifying the change in storage location.
    Note that depending on your security requirements they may want to send out the CPO to inspect the safe.

Had a quick look at the FCA2 form. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like I'd have to cancel my current certificate and re-apply and go through the whole process again?

Jack0106 wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the FCA2 form. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like I'd have to cancel my current certificate and re-apply and go through the whole process again?

No, you explicitly don't; the FCA2 modifies an existing certificate (which can include cancelling it if you'd sold the firearm).
    Then on the reverse it's states:
    "That the conditions as set out in section 4 or the firearms act 1925 as substitutes by section 32(4)(2) of the criminal justice act 2006 gave been complied with"
    There are no additional conditions so is it safe to say, storage in the gun club is not a condition on the license?

It definitely is not safe to say that because the storage location is one of the conditions set out in section 4. If you change that, you must inform the Gardai. Note that you don't explicitly *have* to do that with an FCA2, if your local Garda Super is fine with you just saying you've moved it, that's all that's required; but I think many would want the FCA2.

So on the FCA2, tick the box at the top marked "1. Amendments to a firearms certificate", then fill in the change in storage location in the "reason for amendment" box at the end of section 1. You can leave the rest blank (except for signature and date, naturally).
    You might have to put the details on a seperate page if you don't have enough room and staple that to the form and just put "change in storage location, see attached" in the "reason for amendment" box.

Sparks wrote: »
    So on the FCA2, tick the box at the top marked "1. Amendments to a firearms certificate", then fill in the change in storage location in the "reason for amendment" box at the end of section 1. You can leave the rest blank (except for signature and date, naturally).
    You might have to put the details on a seperate page if you don't have enough room and staple that to the form and just put "change in storage location, see attached" in the "reason for amendment" box.

Thanks Sparks and everybody else who chimed it. I appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Jack0106 wrote: »

The plan is to cut a void in the drywall and bolt it to the bricks behind it.

Unrelated to the legal requirements discussion above, but if the wall you're planning on bolting the safe to is an exterior one, and there's no insulation between the safe and the outside (removed so as to fix the safe directly to the solid wall), you might be risking serious condensation problems in your safe, and rusty guns as a result )-:

Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong, but worth considering if not.

• Advertisement

Unrelated to the legal requirements discussion above, but if the wall you're planning on bolting the safe to is an exterior one, and there's no insulation between the safe and the outside (removed so as to fix the safe directly to the solid wall), you might be risking serious condensation problems in your safe, and rusty guns as a result )-:

Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong, but worth considering if not.

Ah yeah, I plan of getting insulation and expanding foam once everything fits together. Thanks though :)

Advertisement