Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets not working

Options
  • 21-11-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Last night I managed to spill a glass of water in the bedroom.
    Ran out to get a towel and when I came in realised it had splashed an extension cord. Still everything was working, then the power to it went.
    There wasn't any sparks or burning, it just stopped.
    I plugged it out and dried up all around. It didn't hit the socket itself.

This morning all of the sockets are dead. The night time immersion seems to have worked and the lights are ok.
    Checked the switches on the fuse board and they are all ok. Flicked a couple up and down and it was fine.

A few weeks ago I tried the immersion switch and it tripped the board but haven't had any other problems and haven't tried it since. I was supposed to get a friend to look at it but they're impossible to get, I will be getting an electrician out for a bundle of work in the next few months but if I could get advice to get the sockets working somehow would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Check your RCD. It will be twice the size of a normal MCB with a small test button on it. Plug everything out of the socket circuit you got water on then make sure all your MCBs are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Thanks for replying, Had to come in to work but will head out again at lunch and try it.
    Had unplugged everything out of the socket alright but plug everything out of the entire circuit and retry.
    I'll just try flicking it on and off once I've plugged everything out and then sgould I try the test button or just plug things back in and see if they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Unplugged everything then tried the black button the the RCB and this seemed to reset it , thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

No problem

Advertisement