Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore - Tyrconnell Road Area

Options
  • 21-11-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Looking into buying something in Inchicore near the Oblate Church and Aplegreen. The area seems like a mixed bag but there still at least some value to be had compared to closer to the city. Just have a few questions that I would really appreciate if any locals or blow ins could answer.
      Heard some dodgy stories about the Spar in the village, is Tesco or the Londis similair with youth gangs hanging about?
      There seem to be some abandoned-ish looking buildings like the Oblate View apartments with some broken glass. Are there any issues there?
      How safe would you feel going to the Blackhorse Luas in the evening/early morning for work?

Any other tips or anything really would be really appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/inchicore/6-oblate-view-tyreconnell-road-inchicore-dublin-1590520/
    if you're talking about this one i guess it's a trick from the EA, can't see it goes for that price but way above.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

Henbabani wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/inchicore/6-oblate-view-tyreconnell-road-inchicore-dublin-1590520/
    if you're talking about this one i guess it's a trick from the EA, can't see it goes for that price but way above.
    good luck

That was one of them from the area considered. Price seemed a bit too low for sure. Went by the apartment building and it seemed in quite a rough state with the commercial office part being sold off to with some broken glass. Would you know anything about the complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

djan wrote: »
    Henbabani wrote: »
    good luck

That was one of them from the area considered. Price seemed a bit too low for sure. Went by the apartment building and it seemed in quite a rough state with the commercial office part being sold off to with some broken glass. Would you know anything about the complex?
    nothing sorry,
    im just an Israeli guy who move to Dublin in May 18' so im just cheking daft meantime.

Anybody from the area care to share their experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Lived in the area since 96. No issues for me. It seems to the criminal fraternity who get into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Been living here for 4 years, in my opinion the areas around Tyrconnell Park, Ring Terrace, Ring St and Jamestown are the quietest and most settled areas.

Spar in the village can be fairly rough, Tesco is ok and Londis is completely fine.

Blackhorse Luas is fine early morning and evening time, late at night I have heard of some people getting hassle but never anything serious.

Re: value, the last house sold on Tyrconnell Park went for 426k so I'm not sure if there is much value to be had around here any more sadly.

Catmologen wrote: »
    Been living here for 4 years, in my opinion the areas around Tyrconnell Park, Ring Terrace, Ring St and Jamestown are the quietest and most settled areas.

Spar in the village can be fairly rough, Tesco is ok and Londis is completely fine.

Blackhorse Luas is fine early morning and evening time, late at night I have heard of some people getting hassle but never anything serious.

Re: value, the last house sold on Tyrconnell Park went for 426k so I'm not sure if there is much value to be had around here any more sadly.

Thanks for the feedback, the word value was used very loosely. The way things are going is there any real "value"around Dublin any more? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I work near there.

Its not a good area. I wouldnt drop 10k on an apartment there let alone quarter million quid. But thats just me.

I work near there.

Its not a good area. I wouldnt drop 10k on an apartment there let alone quarter million quid. But thats just me.

Any specific issues? Seems to be getting some decent investment in lately coming from the phoenix Park direction I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I'd imagine if an apartment was going for sale there for 10k there would be a queue 2,000,000 people long for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 BXL

Hi all thinking of putting in an offer on house on Tyrconnell Road near the hairdressers...any thoughts on area? Living on Tyrconnell Road? Parking?
    Thanks

I rented in Inchicore from 2008 to 2016 and specifically in Rosedale at the end of Tyrconnell Street towards the end of my time there. I considered buying there in 2010 but bottled it in the end.

Anyhow, apart from being terribly serviced (there's one ATM and barely a coffee shop in the village) I love the area as you are so close to the War Memorial Gardens and the Phoenix Park.

Personally, I never had any issues in all my time, but you do hear the stories about the gang of kids who used to terrorise the staff in Spar. Since the flats in St Michaels were demolished a lot of the antisocial behaviour has stopped and many of the problem families seem to have moved on.

However, before buying I would look very closely into the plans for housing in the area. There are up to 500 units being proposed for the St Michael's area - given the lack of facilities and amenities in the area that would be a disaster, in my opinion. Do your homework.

Any questions on the area, feel free to ask. For what it's worth I think the area represents some of the best value in Dublin and get the feeling it will be gentrified within the next 10 years as rent and property prices increase and Kilmainham fills up. I do prefer the other end up towards the Inchicore Works and towards Kilmainham.

BXL wrote: »
    Hi all thinking of putting in an offer on house on Tyrconnell Road near the hairdressers...any thoughts on area? Living on Tyrconnell Road? Parking?
    Thanks

Do your homework. Spend time there at night and just sit and watch what goes on. It's not for everyone. I lived on Tyrconnell Street just at the back of the hairdresser's and have seen plenty of cars broken into on the main Tyrconnell Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Parking can defo be an issue and it is a very busy road.
    I have friends with a house near the Tesco, they have had huge issues with parking and there have definitely been car windows smashed.

It is a very handy area, war memorial Gardens and IMMA are great, as other poster said I would recommend towards kilmainham end, around thar spar and Emmet Road end area can be rough.

I have lived in kilmainham, Inchicore area for about 10 years and it has improved a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BXL

Thanks for your reply. How would you rate the area for kids (pre-schoolers) at the moment. Did you always feel safe moving around. I’d hate to buy somewhere and feel trapped inside

BXL wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. How would you rate the area for kids (pre-schoolers) at the moment. Did you always feel safe moving around. I’d hate to buy somewhere and feel trapped inside

There are not many young children in the area you are looking at, though there are families in Rosedale just around the corner. I think there is one other family on Tyrconnell St but not many others.

Most of the terraced houses on Tyrconnell Rd near where you are looking at are owned by older people or are social housing, I would imagine. There definitely are a few dodgy characters along that street and as per the poster above, car parking on the road could be an issue as I often saw cars with smashed windows. However, I should add that I never once experienced a single issue in all my time there, though I am a 6' 5" male in my 30s.

On the plus side, there is a playground just up the road by the school. And the school in the village has a great reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Tyronnell road pros

Lots of bus stops
    Luas stop couple min walk
    Tesco and Londis beside you
    Brilliant school beside you, scoil mhuire Gan smal(if you've young kids get name down early)
    Lots of young families in area
    Nice play ground couple min walk away
    Pharmacies close by
    Short walk to MMA, memorial Park
    Half hour walk to town
    Well policed area
    Close to hospitals etc
    Lots of professionals buying in the area
    If you've kids, there basketball club, scouts etc across the road in basketball hall
    Pub on corner do nice carvery and nice Italian restaurant that do good lunch deals

Cons

Very heavy traffic at rush hour times
    Parking
    Some, but not a lot of antisocial behaviour (has much improved over time, also if it's the house I'm thinking of it's not directly on the road?)
    Break ins in the area (this is all over Dublin tho)
    Tesco isn't great, you wouldn't get weeks shopping there , more of a pop in and grab milk and bread type of shop!
    Honestly struggling to think of more cons TBH

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jc11 wrote: »
    Tyronnell road pros

Lots of bus stops
    Luas stop couple min walk
    Tesco and Londis beside you
    Brilliant school beside you, scoil mhuire Gan smal(if you've young kids get name down early)
    Lots of young families in area
    Nice play ground couple min walk away
    Pharmacies close by
    Short walk to MMA, memorial Park
    Half hour walk to town
    Well policed area
    Close to hospitals etc
    Lots of professionals buying in the area
    If you've kids, there basketball club, scouts etc across the road in basketball hall
    Pub on corner do nice carvery and nice Italian restaurant that do good lunch deals

Cons

Very heavy traffic at rush hour times
    Parking
    Some, but not a lot of antisocial behaviour (has much improved over time, also if it's the house I'm thinking of it's not directly on the road?)
    Break ins in the area (this is all over Dublin tho)
    Tesco isn't great, you wouldn't get weeks shopping there , more of a pop in and grab milk and bread type of shop!
    Honestly struggling to think of more cons TBH

Good luck!

The above is pretty spot on.
    There are actually 3 pharmacies for some bizarre reason about 200 metres apart lol.
    Also Oliva (used to be enoteca) the Italian restaurant is pretty decent as well.

Cons
    Need a coffee shop and a few more restaurants

Advertisement