Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait for Planet X!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

ThunderCat wrote: »
    The announcement you refer to Accumulator is one by NASA this coming Thursday informing us of the latest batch of Earth type exoplanets detected by Kepler as far as I know.

Could be, along with something involving AI-bots. Perhaps they'll send these self-learning machines a few hundred light-years out there. They can learn to walk, mine, 3DPrint and build shopping malls when for whenever they eventually land.

Just checked the other Oumuamua thing, might now be heading away from earth, also had the ratio was incorrect, it's 1:10 (height:width), still a curious stealthy shaped rock by all accounts.

By scanning the rock for 'transmissions', they hope to detect if it's a 'natural' object, or not...

'Breakthrough Listen' begins Wed 20:00 GMT. Will take a few days for the scans to complete and return results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That's the one 'Oumuamua' aka 'the flying cigar' (the optimal design of a vessel meant to travel through space).

They're switching on their headphones at 20:00GMT to see if anyone/thing synthetic is transmitting on it. It's heading away from us currently, so that's a relief.

Wonder why they're not using China's new 500m Aperture Spherical Telescope to listen, instead of Green Bank.

Separately Google AI and Google Brain wil be featured during the NASA conference later on Thurs, about searches for life on some distance planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whats interesting is the path this is taking. Excuse my general ignorance of the correct scientific terms and theory but the path of the object seems to go by earths gravitational (?) pull and is then slingshot (?) out of our orbit and on its way again.

If you look at it one way, you could say it was close to going directly for earth... a close shot s it were. I wonder the impact this object could have had had it slammed into earth? I presume it could have broken through the atmosphere and had a deadly impact? My understanding is that the asteroid (?) that caused the extinction event of dinosaurs etc. was not particularly large in the grand schemes of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I wonder the impact this object could have had had it slammed into earth? I presume it could have broken through the atmosphere and had a deadly impact? My understanding is that the asteroid (?) that caused the extinction event of dinosaurs etc. was not particularly large in the grand schemes of things.
    The dinosaur-killer has been estimated to be anything from 4-10 km across.

This was 240 m on its long axis - and it's very narrow.

Chelyabinsk was about 20 m. I suppose this could have made a big dent in a city, but on a global scale... not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Excuse my general ignorance of the correct scientific terms and theory but the path of the object seems to go by earths gravitational (?) pull and is then slingshot (?) out of our orbit and on its way again.

No, not Earth's gravity, not Earth's orbit - our Sun's.

This thing happened into our Solar system, zoomed around the Sun and away into deep space again. The Earth would barely have affected it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Nope, there are numerous chances... 390 times smaller 390 times closer, 410 times smaller 410 times closer etc etc. And its not an exact match anyway, usually the full moon covers more or less than 100% of the Sun. And with planets and moons condensing from the same disc of material, the chances that one will cross the ecliptic are not low at all.

Because the universe is expanding, aren't the total eclipses kind of unique to our time ? Relatively...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

oleras wrote: »
    Because the universe is expanding, aren't the total eclipses kind of unique to our time ? Relatively...
    The expansion of the universe has no effect on the local scale of our galaxy, let alone our solar system. You are right, though, that the Moon's orbit around the Earth is expanding. But it's due to the tidal effect of gravity, which slows down the Earth's rotation while speeding up the Moon in its orbit. Angular momentum gets transferred from Earth to the Moon, so the Moon gets further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The fact it's travelling end over end pretty much would discount it as an alien craft I'd imagine.

The fact it's travelling end over end pretty much would discount it as an alien craft I'd imagine.

If it is an alien craft, it must be a dead one, a wreck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If it is an alien craft, it must be a dead one, a wreck.
    Not if it's a surveillance craft sent from a mothership, there would be no signals.

Not if it's a surveillance craft sent from a mothership, there would be no signals.

Well, I was thinking more if it is a 10:1 shape and tumbling end-over end.

But our guesses about its shape are assuming its an asteroid. If it is a spaceship, it could be a spinning sphere, and the lightcurve could be due to a paintjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It’s also a bit of a coincidence that when Voyager has just left our Solar System,this thing comes in.:eek:

Well, I was thinking more if it is a 10:1 shape and tumbling end-over end.

Spinning to create gravity :)
    It’s also a bit of a coincidence that when Voyager has just left our Solar System,this thing comes in.:eek:

Swapsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Bit of a debate as to where our solar system ends. Voyager is still a hell of a long way from interstellar space from what I remember reading.

Can anyone answer me this please - I understand that from the trajectory and plane of this object that scientists/astronomers have deduced it's from beyond our solar system but can a dislodged kuipter belt or oort cloud object not take the same heading into the inner solar system as this object has?

Bit of a debate as to where our solar system ends. Voyager is still a hell of a long way from interstellar space from what I remember reading.

Can anyone answer me this please - I understand that from the trajectory and plane of this object that scientists/astronomers have deduced it's from beyond our solar system but can a dislodged kuipter belt or oort cloud object not take the same heading into the inner solar system as this object has?

Speed is key too - it's different than that expected of a solar system originating object.

Spinning to create gravity :)

No, the light curve says it is spinning every 7.3 hours, and it's maybe 400 m long.

Say .05 m/s velocity at one end, an accelleration of 0.0000125 m per sec squared, that would be a millionth of a g.

Speed is key too - it's different than that expected of a solar system originating object.

Yes, it is moving faster than the escape velocity of the Sun, so it is not in orbit, just passing through.

Escape velocity at Earth's distance from the Sun is 42 km/s, and Oumuamua was doing about 50 km/s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

1984_Starman_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's possible though rather unlikely that an Oort cloud body could interact with other bodies in the Oort cloud sufficiently to get shot through the solar system at escape velocity, but (a) those things tend to be icy, and this is metal and rock, and (b) it's a really weird shape, much more oblong than anything else we can see. It's most likely ejecta from a massive collision in Vega a long, long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mikhail wrote: »
    It's possible though rather unlikely that an Oort cloud body could interact with other bodies in the Oort cloud sufficiently to get shot through the solar system at escape velocity, but (a) those things tend to be icy, and this is metal and rock, and (b) it's a really weird shape, much more oblong than anything else we can see. It's most likely ejecta from a massive collision in Vega a long, long time ago.

....In a galaxy, far, far away. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

voyager_1.png

http://explainxkcd.com/1189/
    So far Voyager 1 has 'left the Solar System' by passing through the termination shock three times, the heliopause twice, and once each through the heliosheath, heliosphere, heliodrome, auroral discontinuity, Heaviside layer, trans-Neptunian panic zone, magnetogap, US Census Bureau Solar System statistical boundary, Kuiper gauntlet, Oort void, and crystal sphere holding the fixed stars.

Advertisement