Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland lose out on "lucrative" EU banking agency. Is this a lesson for Dublin?

Options
  • 21-11-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ireland-lose-out-to-french-again-over-eu-banking-agency-463216.html

I saw this article in the Examiner this morning and reading the article I noticed the word "lucrative" being used to describe this European banking watchdog. I do not dispute the fact that having such an agency based in Ireland would indeed be lucrative but what does it say of Ireland itself?

The establishment here readily acknowledge that these EU state entities are lucrative and yet continue to pretend that Dublin is not a parasite on the rest of the country by keeping the vast bulk of government run agencies and state departments in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I don't think you know what parasite means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ireland-lose-out-to-french-again-over-eu-banking-agency-463216.html

I saw this article in the Examiner this morning and reading the article I noticed the word "lucrative" being used to describe this European banking watchdog. I do not dispute the fact that having such an agency based in Ireland would indeed be lucrative but what does it say of Ireland itself?

The establishment here readily acknowledge that these EU state entities are lucrative and yet continue to pretend that Dublin is not a parasite on the rest of the country by keeping the vast bulk of government run agencies and state departments in Dublin.

It is the function of a capital to act as the seat of Government, it is wholly appropriate for a small country like Ireland to have Government Departments in Dublin. In addition as Dublin is the most accessible part of the country for the overwhelming majority of the population, this is doubly the case.

The idea that Dublin is a parasite is grossly inaccurate, on the contrary Dublin is the economic engine of the country. The determination of some people in this country to denigrate and resent our capital city is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Dublin and the South-West i.e. Cork are the only regions of Ireland that generate more tax revenue than they spend. Indeed Dublin accounts for most of Ireland's GDP, how can this be viewed as a parasitical relationship. Surely the rest of Ireland is the parasite?

If anything it demonstrates how much parish-pumpism costs Ireland. If we had spent the money building metro lines and housing in Dublin, you'd be sure that a lot more institutions would be looking to set up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It is the function of a capital to act as the seat of Government, it is wholly appropriate for a small country like Ireland to have Government Departments in Dublin. In addition as Dublin is the most accessible part of the country for the overwhelming majority of the population, this is doubly the case.
    And yet an even smaller country like Switzerland (with it`s capital city smack bang in the middle) is far more successful, despite doing the exact opposite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why are we even trying to bring more business here if there's nowhere for anyone to live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why are we even trying to bring more business here if there's nowhere for anyone to live?

I think the Govt. were just hoping that at all this Brexit related moving would go our way on account of being english speaking. They are now finding out that without decent housing available for employees companies realise that attracting employees from abroad will not be easy. Couple that with our high cost of living which feeds into higher wage demands and it is not surprising that companies will choose to avoid locating to Dublin.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think the Govt. were just hoping that at all this Brexit related moving would go our way on account of being english speaking. They are now finding out that without decent housing available for employees companies realise that attracting employees from abroad will not be easy. Couple that with our high cost of living which feeds into higher wage demands and it is not surprising that companies will choose to avoid locating to Dublin.

Yeah but most EU countries, especially the Northern Ones would be packed with probably more employable people with perfect English anyway. We need infrastructure first, then the jobs will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

When it comes to the EU now that England is leaving the EU, Ireland will become more & more irrelevant when it comes to the EU. Germany & France are slowly working the EU to have them be the main beneficiary's where the like of ourselves will get the scraps if lucky. We are just a little island out in the Atlantic the other side of Britain to them. Now that both Germany & France want corporation taxes across the EU to be more in line we will look less attractive than Paris/Berlin. Google have already bought land next to Apple in Denmark so dont be surprised when they leave Ireland all together.
    Our politicians are not seeing what is happening in the EU. They want 1 President, 1 army. We will be told do us they say & we will just have to do it. Great future our politicians have sold us out for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah I really wonder where they werent looking to located in Cork, Limerick or Galway :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah I really wonder where they werent looking to located in Cork, Limerick or Galway :rolleyes:

Because there was no way we were getting them anyway:mad:

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    They want 1 President, 1 army. We will be told do us they say & we will just have to do it. Great future our politicians have sold us out for

But sure our current Government dictate to us and nanny to us as is, and don't have the people's interests at heart. Does it even matter who makes the ridiculous rules any more?

But sure our current Government dictate to us and nanny to us as is, and don't have the people's interests at heart. Does it even matter who makes the ridiculous rules any more?

Problem will be they will have no jobs to give us. I can see us being truly shafted by the EU. We're only relevant now to give the Brexiteers a hard time, when their gone we might all have to immigrate

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Last time I checked, and I was quite upset when I found this out, that counties other than Dublin are represented in the Dail. As much as Dubs would like it to be, incredibly non-Dubliners can actually elect TDs who sit in the same Dail as TDs elected by true Dubliners.

Who, where or what is this "Dublin" entity? Is it different to the Dublin that Dubliners actually live in? Is it more than the sum total of Dublin 1, 2, 3,4, 5 etc??? It seems to represent some sort of nebulous concept i.e. "The State".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

cgcsb wrote: »
    Indeed Dublin accounts for most of Ireland's GDP, how can this be viewed as a parasitical relationship.

Presumably because it's sucking the people, the culture, the small businesses, and the life out of the rest of the country in order to fuel it's all-important 'economy' which, in turn, benefits Dublin itself more than anywhere else.

"Dublin accounts for most of Ireland's GDP" – I've no doubt it does. GDP isn't everything when it comes to quality of life though. And I live in Dublin, and I contribute to that "most of Ireland's GDP", and I'm here because there's sweet feck all for me in my home county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Switzerland (with it`s capital city smack bang in the middle)

Has Bern been moved??? :eek:

Coz last time I was there, it was pretty damn close to the Western border and a long way from the East. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Idbatterim wrote: »

Is this a Question, Answer or a Comment? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Goodshape wrote: »
    Presumably because it's sucking the people, the culture, the small businesses, and the life out of the rest of the country in order to fuel it's all-important 'economy' which, in turn, benefits Dublin itself more than anywhere else.

"Dublin accounts for most of Ireland's GDP" – I've no doubt it does. GDP isn't everything when it comes to quality of life though. And I live in Dublin, and I contribute to that "most of Ireland's GDP", and I'm here because there's sweet feck all for me in my home county.

People move to Dublin because it is a city, which offers much greater facilities and general opportunities. The same reason people flock to cities across the globe. Ireland's smaller towns and villages have suffered an especially severe decline due in large part to the policy of not encouraging greater centralisation of the population. One off housing is a major problem in this regard.

Cities are the future. Dublin is our only realistic chance of having a global city. Dublin's success does not deprive rural communities of anything, its decline on the otherhand would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Coz last time I was there, it was pretty damn close to the Western border and a long way from the East. :p

Not to mention the fact it's not in the EU...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cities are the future. Dublin is our only realistic chance of having a global city.

You say that as if it were automatically and unquestionably a good thing. We're a tiny, beautiful, island with a wonderful rich culture. But sure **** all that, yeah?, GDP and massive cities is what we want, because...

???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

zetalambda wrote: »
    Is this a Question, Answer or a Comment? :)

it was sarcasm of the highest order. Think of father Jack in that father ted episode ;)

impossible housing situation in Dublin, its beyond a crisis. Third world transport system. losing over 50% of your income over a pittance, hard to believe these agencies arent flocking here in their droves :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ireland lost out to Paris for the EU Banking Agency... on the drawing of lots. We could have just as easily won it.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1120/921549-paris-edges-out-dublin-to-host-eba/

This report is probably more of a concern: "Dublin Ranked 7th in EMA location list"
    https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2017/1121/921794-dublin-ranked-7th-in-ema-location-list/

Amsterdam headed the list as favoured host city in the staff survey, and went on to win the bid. The vast majority (81%) said they would likely or very likely to move to Amsterdam if the agency did, with Barcelona the next favourite (76%) followed by Vienna (73%), and Milan, Copenhagen and Brussels.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think the Govt. were just hoping that at all this Brexit related moving would go our way on account of being english speaking.

Many Europeans speak far better English than most Irish people despite it not being their first language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

We need to solve the housing crisis. Build UP.

Build 50-storey apartment/ office blocks around the quays. It’s the only way.

It is in the central plateau, a trifling 50 miles from the country`s epicenter. By contrast, Dublin is on Ireland`s eastern extremity and a long long way from Clare to there.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact it's not in the EU...

Nobody said it was (because the point would have been irrelevant). Focus Sugar Free.

What about outside Dublin? There is an entire country out there just waiting to be developed. Think New World. Think what an enterprising people like the Dutch or Swiss might do had they such abundance bestowed upon them. This huddling together in the snug mentality must end. Dublin alone is not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And yet an even smaller country like Switzerland (with it`s capital city smack bang in the middle) is far more successful, despite doing the exact opposite.

Been is the 5th largest city in Switzerland and likely most people would guess the capital was Zürich or Geneva. It’s not really a comparator with Ireland where there are many orders of magnitude difference in population between Dublin and the next 3 cities. Certainly, development in Ireland has been too skewed towards Dublin but there would have been no sense in putting forward any other Irish city in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

Im Sure the staff of Banking Agency were Crapping themselves before the decision

Imagine Dublin or Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Many Europeans speak far better English than most Irish people despite it not being their first language.

That's just stupid.

Attempt to be offensive I presume or just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We lost out for no other reason than the coin fell on the wrong side.
    There's nothing to see in this decision other than gambling is bad for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

xl500 wrote: »
    Im Sure the staff of Banking Agency were Crapping themselves before the decision

Imagine Dublin or Paris

Paris isn't actually that nice. Have you been. As in properly bin or just spent time at the tower?

And well the locals they aren't that nice either.

Advertisement