Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen breast milk on plane

Options
  • 21-11-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Has anyone tried to take frozen breast milk with them on holidays? We are going away mid December and I would like to take some with me. We are flying so realistically would need them to stay frozen about 7-8 hours with all the transfers.
    I hear that cooler bag with freeze boards/packs is one option or is this only wishful thinking on ny part.

What bags have you used? And how long it stays frozen? Or any other way to transport?Any info appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Your plan, cooler bag & icepacks would work to keep the milk frozen/cool enough, however I would be concerned with getting through security. I don't know how that would play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The avent insulated bag is great. If you put your milk in there with ice cubes, it will stay frozen for a good while. If there’s any crystals in your milk by the time you arrive, it’s fine to put back in the freezer. If you Freshen up your ice a couple of times, it’ll be fine. The bag doesn’t have a huge capacity, so you might need more than one, depending on how much milk you want to take.
    Are you checking the bag or bringing carry on? I think you’ll have no problem with the milk as carry on if you have the baby with you. It used be more difficult if you were travelling without baby, but I’ve a feeling something changed with that recently, and now it’s easier. You probably would still need to get new ice after security though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Forgive me for sounding naive but why don't you just use fresh

I swear I'm not taking the piss
    I just don't understand
    Sienaa wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to take frozen breast milk with them on holidays? We are going away mid December and I would like to take some with me. We are flying so realistically would need them to stay frozen about 7-8 hours with all the transfers.
    I hear that cooler bag with freeze boards/packs is one option or is this only wishful thinking on ny part.

What bags have you used? And how long it stays frozen? Or any other way to transport?Any info appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Maybe she wants a night out without the baby, and the baby would need milk in her absence?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Sienaa

scarepanda wrote: »
    Your plan, cooler bag & icepacks would work to keep the milk frozen/cool enough, however I would be concerned with getting through security. I don't know how that would play out.

I was planning to check it in the big bag as I don't want it to be dumped just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Sienaa

jlm29 wrote: »
    Maybe she wants a night out without the baby, and the baby would need milk in her absence?

Yes, you are correct we are planning our first date night in months. My mom would watch the baby happy times. Also I can never predict how hungry he will be and if I would be able to get enough fresh milk as he somedays eats them all empty and there is nothing left to pump. So I'm trying to not to take any chances ;)

Advertisement