Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo or Google Home

Options
  • 21-11-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,594 ✭✭✭✭

I am new to both these devices I was wondering which most people would recommend?
    What do the dots and mini version do and not do?
    Is it easy to link to a hue device if I buy one?
    The only device I really have in house that I stream to is Amazon fire but I also have an old sonos play 1 speaker (which I love), can I link into that? currently on deezer but not spotify.
    Basically all I am ever likely to want to control are lights and music and maybe ask a few questions

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've both Alexa and GHome and normally the answer is easy, but in your case it is a bit more complicated.

I'd normally recommend GHome as I find it has a better AI, it is better at understanding you, understanding your questions and giving you a good answer. I just find it smarter. GHome feels more natural, while Alexa feels more like a computer.

However the wrinkle is that currently Alexa works with Sonos Play 1. So you could just buy an Echo Dot, put it besides your Sonos and you can use the Dot to send commands and play music on the Sonos.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4158

Seemingly the same functions are coming to Google Home and Sonos in 2018, but obviously not there yet and no guarantees.

So a bit of a tough one at the moment.

As for Hue, as long as you have or buy a Hue hub, it will easily work with either GHome or Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

Like bk I have both and prefer the GHome.
    In your case though, I'd say get an echo dot. It will operate well with other Amazon devices (Do you mean tablet or fire TV?) as well as the Sonos.
    I have a firestick with voice control and can use all the setup from the echo through it also in another room.
    I think you'll have more fun this Christmas anyway with Alexa!

Advertisement