Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - Harrassment phonecalls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Hang on. When I get a bill from utility providers it’s generally taken 3 weeks later. Unless the bills come exactly in the first week just after you are paid that would push to the next wage packet.

You are living hand to mouth though. Maybe look at generating some savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

....... wrote: »
    Not my problem.

Well yes, yes it is. Clearly :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Clearly you seem to miss paying every single bord gais bill, hence the thread you created.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If you read the bills, you will see the time you have to pay it, you pass that they are within their rights to call you until it is paid. You are ignoring facts to suit your on agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

This is where you are wrong, it's pretty simple, if you don't want to receive calls from them then pay your bill on time.

Absolutely.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Do you think its ok for a company to call someone multiple times daily for weeks on end about a 40 or 50 euro bill?

Bord Gais have leads. Good leads. They paid good money to get them. They are just trying to close. There's only one thing that matters on this line. Get the customer to sign on the line which is dotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Most utility companies and even credit card providers, have a few billing cycles and may be able to move you to one that suits your cash flow situation better.

A payment plan like Level Pay would also result maybe more manageable bills split across the whole year rather than huge ones in winter.

It’s the same. You decide how much to pay by direct debit every month depending on your useage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'd love to see the look on the Garda face when he sees this, hopefully they will quickly and swiftly tell you to toddle on home and stop wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Loads of savings. The first thing I pay each month is my savings account, followed by mortgage, followed by bills. This is irrelevant.

Very relevant. You have money at hand but are waiting three weeks to pay the bill. Why do you think they are chasing you? Most people that wait three weeks do not intend to pay the bill at all.

You have the money. Fix your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This is one of those really stupid "I'll pay when it suits me" threads.

The op knows the bill will arrive on the same date bimonthly, yet every second month it seems a "surprise" when it arrives, every bill is therefore late so a pattern of late payment is forming, but the op is unhappy when they keep phoning about late payment.

Here's a tip op, when you know a bill is going to arrive every second month, keep some money aside to pay it, that is managing your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

And does it cost more? Or does it work out the same?

It’s actually cheaper.
    You will get a discount for using level pay.
    I got a 10% or 7% for using level pay on my gas and electricity and 50 euro credit on one of the bills.
    They will average out your last years usage and you will pay that monthly regardless of what your bill is.
    So basically i am paying 55 euro for gas a month and 50 for electricity.

Edit: another 2 % off for going paperless billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will be told to leave the station or have the call terminated - there is no harrassment occuring. If you answer the call they are extremely unlikely to call again same day - you are ignoring calls hence the re-dials

Move to level pay or pre pay (if you really have to) if you have trouble paying bills on time

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have vastly more than one credit rating. They do not affect ICB ratings but they will, if reported, affect the private ratings agencies. These are used for hire purchase, post-pay utility contracts, even monthly installments on insurance in some cases.

Your phone number would be allowed information for as long as you have a contract with them so no, GDPR won't affect it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,088 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't mean to lecture but you have the power to stop all of these calls by paying your bill on time

Why not ask them for a smart meter. You'll never have to worry about bills, Direct debit, stand orders, unpaid fees or annoying phone calls. You can top up in the shops for as little as 5 euro at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,088 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

....... wrote:

Can I point out that if you fell behind on your mobile phone bill they would cut you off till the bill is is paid. Your mob phone company would consider you a difficult customer if you treat them in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

They phone after it's due, or after you get the bill?
    Every bill I get has a due date of at least two weeks, usually more. In fact, my problem is that if it's not a direct debit I take a look at the the due date and say "Sure that's ages away. I'll pay it out of the next paycheque..." then quietly forget all about it.
    If you're not paying them until after they're due then you must me ignoring them for quite a while. They're ringing you because your account is in arrears. Suck it up, pay it off on time once, and the problem is solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Cheers. It's not the size of the bills, it's just the timing.

I've checked the paper copies there now and they started phoning 4 days after the most recent bill was due.

Contacted a consumer rights agency and your utility account is not even considered to be in arrears until a bill is 60 days overdue. They believe I have a case for harassment alright. Companies should follow a code of conduct when chasing for payment and apparently a lot of people have been complaining re Bord Gais.

So, cheers for all the helpful replies. Plenty of snidey judgemental responses here but hey, that's boards.ie for you.

Mods, thread can be closed now.

Dear God, you repeatedly refuse to pay your bills when they are due (you are in arrears by the way the day after the bill was supposed to be paid, a third party doesn't get to decide whether it should be 60 days later) yet you claim to be "harassed" when they phone you about your bill, what age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You are not being harassed. A private company, that YOU have an agreement with, are trying to ring, to collect payment. Answer the phone, pay, and they wont ring you again, unless you miss the next due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You attitude is bizarre. Just move the DD for your gas to the date after you get paid. Then you will never hear from them again.

How simple is that? You seem to be on the phone to them ten times a month anyway.

You should watch yourself or they will count up the cost of calls and you'll end on pay as you go.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement