Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me purchase the right Google Home/Mini device.

• 21-11-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is my first foray into voice activated home automation. I do have a Tado thermostat to control my heating and a I have some sort of non brand WiFi plug for a night light which I can turn on and off via an app on my Android phone, set a schedule for etc.

I've a family subscription to Spotify (4 family members in the house each with their own account) and I've a 10 year old Sony NAS E35HD Giga Hi Fi system in my main living room which has decent speakers but terrible connection options for playing Spotify other than an Audio In port a (Sony Proprietary?) Digital Media Port and a USB port.

If I could get a solution where a Google Home device could enable Spotify to be played on the Sony Hi-Fi system that would be great as the Sony system will be staying due to it's ability to play FM radio stations, old CD's etc.

I was thinking of just getting a cheap/old Android phone and permanently tether that to the Audio In jack (with power coming from either the USB port on the Hi-Fi or from a nearby socket) which would do the job but with the Google Mini now only £34 I was hoping I could use that via an Audio out but it doesn't have audio out so maybe the best solution is to get a Google Mini AND a Chromecast Audio and then the Google Mini's built in speaker can be used for day to day info requests but Spotify can be played to the Hi-Fi system via Chromecast Audio. Does that sound reasonable or is it too messy a solution? Would each person have to have different Google Home accounts in order for their individual playlists to be available to play? Would I be as well off forgetting about the Google Mini and just let people cast Spotify direct to the Chromecast Audio from their individual phones?

Would I be better off cutting out the Hi-Fi system all together and buy a Google Home to play Spotify from and if so is the speaker in the Google Home good enough to fill a fairly big open space which is a combined kitchen / living / dining room? I know it won't be a solid as a dual speaker Hi-Fi system but would it be good enough for ambient background music?

Apologies for the ramble :o

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You are the right road. A GH Mini + CC connected to your Sony will work well. I've my Mini play music out of a nice pair of Audio Engine Bookshelf speakers, works very well in my setup.

What you need to figure out is how your Sony works. Will you leave it powered on all the time? Will it then use lots of power or will it just go into a sleep state? Or will you use the Sony's remote to turn it on and off and will that feel annoying once you get use to the convenience of GHome.

You could also just go for the full size GHome and use the Sony just for CD's (the ghome can also do radio via tunein). Also you need to ask yourself, what cd's are you playing and could you not find the same on spotify? If you go down this path you might find yourself rarely using the Sony's other features. As for the Ghome filling a room, it certainly can, it fills my open plan living room/kitchen nicely. Though obviously wouldn't be as good as large quality stereo hifi speakers.

I Actually have a GHome + CCA connected to an AV amp + 5.1 speakers in the living room. But in this room, despite the 5.1 sounding better, 90% of the time we just use the GHome, partly because of the trouble of having to switch on the AV, change inputs, etc. In fact we mostly just do it for parties. Day to day, the Ghome is perfectly adequate for nice background music.

Another option is the Google Home Max which is due to launch in two months, if you need to fill a really large space. It is expensive, but looks like it might have great sound.

Sorry I don't really answer your question, it is sort of a personal preference sort of thing. But hopefully it gives you a few thoughts. One thing, if you get a GH or mini now and decide to upgrade either of them later, I'm sure you would end up using them in anther room later, bedroom, etc. Specially with multiple family members, I predict they will all want their own eventually :)

As for you other questions, I wouldn't just use a CCA, the GH's are well worth it IMO, they make the CCA's really useful. I had a CCA long before getting the GH, but rarely used it. It is GH that make the CCA useful IMO.

Each family member will set their own Google account connected with their spotify family account and that will allow them to listen to their own playlist. You sound like you are already well wet up for that.

I'm not sure the smart plug will work with GHome, you would need the name to check. TP Link plugs work well with GHome if you want a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

If it was me as well, i would either

A) buy the full google home and use the Sony only on the rare occasion you cant get what you want through google.

Actually I wouldn't do anything else, the google home is only 80stg at the moment so I'd just get that. If the audio quality still isn't good enough (and I think it will be fine BTW) then you can get the upcoming one that is due out in a dew months. You will def end up getting more homes on top of the first one so you won't waste money.

BTW, I've had 6 x sonos amps throughout my house for a nearly ten years, and I've replaced them all with google homes I was that content with the audio quality. You won't be having any raves with it, but sure then you can cast it to the Sony, but trust me, I don't think you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭54and56

bk wrote: »
    You are the right road. A GH Mini + CC connected to your Sony will work well. I've my Mini play music out of a nice pair of Audio Engine Bookshelf speakers, works very well in my setup.

What you need to figure out is how your Sony works. Will you leave it powered on all the time? Will it then use lots of power or will it just go into a sleep state? Or will you use the Sony's remote to turn it on and off and will that feel annoying once you get use to the convenience of GHome.

And that right there is why I just ordered a Google Home for £79 from the UK Google Store ;)
    You could also just go for the full size GHome and use the Sony just for CD's (the ghome can also do radio via tunein). Also you need to ask yourself, what cd's are you playing and could you not find the same on spotify? If you go down this path you might find yourself rarely using the Sony's other features. As for the Ghome filling a room, it certainly can, it fills my open plan living room/kitchen nicely. Though obviously wouldn't be as good as large quality stereo hifi speakers.

And that's EXACTLY how I envisage Google Home being used 90% of the time. In the living space we have a gaming PC which has a wicked set of speakers that are rarely used as the kids play their games using a 7.1 gaming headset, we have the old Sony Hi-Fi system which tends to be used for listening to the radio (I also have a Tunein A/C) or playing some old CD's so there's a very good chance Google Home will completely replace it and I can get rid of the Sony Hi-Fi all together or find a new home for it in one of the kids bedrooms. We also have a pretty good soundbar for the TV in that space which is hooked up to a Win 10 HTPC so if we really need a big sound we can play Spotify or Tunein via that.
    Another option is the Google Home Max which is due to launch in two months, if you need to fill a really large space. It is expensive, but looks like it might have great sound.

I think it's going to be circa €400 which is a lot. I'll pass on that for now that's for sure!!
    Sorry I don't really answer your question, it is sort of a personal preference sort of thing. But hopefully it gives you a few thoughts.

You totally answered my question, thanks!!
    Each family member will set their own Google account connected with their spotify family account and that will allow them to listen to their own playlist.

That's the bit I don't conceptually understand. How does Google Home know which family member is saying "Play my Spotify Favourites Playlist"?
    I'm not sure the smart plug will work with GHome, you would need the name to check. TP Link plugs work well with GHome if you want a replacement.

Yeah, the smart plug I have (which was just a bit of an experiment a couple of years ago) is a Urant WiFi Smart Plug which works well in that it connected to and stays connected to my Wifi but the app which gives you control over it is appalling and the timer function frequently doesn't work for no obvious reason.
    TP Link plugs work well with GHome if you want a replacement.

Are TP Link the best brand to invest in? I thought Belkin/Wemo had kind of established themselves as the plug of choice?

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. You really clarified the questions I had.

I look forward to getting my Google Home via Parcel Wizard in the next few days and to getting it up and running. No doubt I'll be on the Home Automation thread frequently looking for help in the coming weeks and months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Shlippery

That's the bit I don't conceptually understand. How does Google Home know which family member is saying "Play my Spotify Favourites Playlist"?
    !

It can differentiate between who's talking to it as far, you can train it to learn each voice that's added as far as I know.
    (well, it can tell the difference between 2 people, anyways but I assume it'll handle more if all are linked up?)

Shlippery wrote: »
    It can differentiate between who's talking to it as far, you can train it to learn each voice that's added as far as I know.
    (well, it can tell the difference between 2 people, anyways but I assume it'll handle more if all are linked up?)

Yep, that's it, each person in your house cane be identief by their voice (up to six people I think).

And training is a doddle, you say "ok google" into your home app three times during the training process and that's it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And that right there is why I just ordered a Google Home for £79 from the UK Google Store ;)

Good choice, keep an eye out for the CCA's if you want, I got mine for €15 earlier this year.

Voice recognition. You train it to understand each persons different voice and it links it to their account then. Pretty cool stuff.
    Yeah, the smart plug I have (which was just a bit of an experiment a couple of years ago) is a Urant WiFi Smart Plug which works well in that it connected to and stays connected to my Wifi but the app which gives you control over it is appalling and the timer function frequently doesn't work for no obvious reason.

I don't see it on GHome or IFTTT, so I think you might want to replace it if you want to work with GH.
    Are TP Link the best brand to invest in? I thought Belkin/Wemo had kind of established themselves as the plug of choice?

They seem to be. I've the HS110 which is the energy monitoring one.

When the TP-Link plugs first launched Wemo were in the lead as the TP-Links worked just with apps and not with IFTTT, GH, Alexa, etc. While Wemo did. However the TP Links caught up with widespread support now.

But also the Wemo have a fatal flaw IMO. If your electricity goes off, then they default to off. Which if it was connected to something like a fridge/freezer would be extremely annoying, a 30 second power outage could leave you with a puddle of water in the morning.

The TP-Links don't have this issue, they default to the last state after the power comes back on, which is much more sensible IMO.

Also the TP-Links are cheaper, while having decent support now.

Voice recognition. You train it to understand each persons different voice and it links it to their account then. Pretty cool stuff.

I thought identifying "who" was speaking required biometric voice verification whereas understanding "what" was being said required voice recognition.

If these devices can differentiate one person from another when both people are saying the exact same words ie "OK Google" they must be doing more than just understanding the words that are being spoken or perhaps Voice Recognition had improved to a point where the way you say the the words can be associated with a particular enrollment.

Either way it's clever stuff.

I thought identifying "who" was speaking required biometric voice verification whereas understanding "what" was being said required voice recognition.

Strictly speaking the term "speech recognition" means the translation of speech to text by computers. What Ghome and Alexa normally do.

"Voice recognition" means to identify the actual person speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_recognition

The two terms however have become a bit muddled and interchangeable with all this new tech.

BTW I wouldn't call GHomes "Voice recognition" full on biometric voice verification, I'm not sure it is quiet that good in terms of false positive rates, etc.

Strictly speaking the term "speech recognition" means the translation of speech to text by computers. What Ghome and Alexa normally do.

"Voice recognition" means to identify the actual person speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_recognition

The two terms however have become a bit muddled and interchangeable with all this new tech.

BTW I wouldn't call GHomes "Voice recognition" full on biometric voice verification, I'm not sure it is quiet that good in terms of false positive rates, etc.
    I've had it confuse myself and the young fella once or twice, but not for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Interesting discussion, thanks guys.

Are we talking about the multiple account support here when discussing the GHome or something else?
    I ask because I've not seen the Multiple Account support available in my Home App yet and am in the same boat in terms of wanting my Spotify stuff being able to play but my missus having her own when she asks for it on the GHome.

• Advertisement

conor-mr2 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion, thanks guys.

Are we talking about the multiple account support here when discussing the GHome or something else?
    I ask because I've not seen the Multiple Account support available in my Home App yet and am in the same boat in terms of wanting my Spotify stuff being able to play but my missus having her own when she asks for it on the GHome.

Yes, that is indeed one of the issues we're discussing. I'm a newbie to voice activated home automation (although I use Google Assistant/ "OK Google" on my Android phone) so one of the questions I had relating to the Google Home service is how it knows to play my Spotify favourite playlist when I say "OK Google, play Spotify favourite playlist" rather then my wife or son's playlists.

conor-mr2 wrote: »

I just got this set up last night. I'm not sure about Android, but if you are using an iPhone, then you need to set the region of the iPhone (as in the iPhons OS settings) to either US or UK and then you will see the option to enable Multi User support in the Google Home app, it is a Yellow Box at the top of the devices page or Blue Bar directly under the Google Home device again in the devices page.

If you have your iPhone region set to Ireland, then these bars don't show up in the Google Home app and you can't enable it.

BTW Once set up, you will then need to link each persons individual Spotify Account to the Google Home app on their own phone. You also unfortunately have to set up Home Automation devices (like Hue lights, etc.), rooms, etc. for each individual user.

BTW Once set up, you will then need to link each persons individual Spotify Account to the Google Home app on their own phone. You also unfortunately have to set up Home Automation devices (like Hue lights, etc.), rooms, etc. for each individual user.

I'm probably wrong on this but I think the issue you've identified is actually related to the supported languages rather than geographic regions. I know on my phone (One Plus 5) that Google Assistant will only work if you have selected either English UK or English US as your specified language. If you select English Ireland Google Assistant is no longer available.

One other (probably silly) issue that popped into my head is that if you're in a room with 3-4 others and want to use Google Home you presumably say "OK Google" out loud to wake Google Home up? If that's the case won't all Android devices with Google Assistant / "OK google" set to listen when the screen is on also respond to the command? I can just imagine how annoying it would be to have 3-4 phones all trying to deliver the weather forecast at the same time along with Google Home or playing Highway to Hell from Spotify at the same time :p

I'm probably wrong on this but I think the issue you've identified is actually related to the supported languages rather than geographic regions. I know on my phone (One Plus 5) that Google Assistant will only work if you have selected either English UK or English US as your specified language. If you select English Ireland Google Assistant is no longer available.

Doesn't seem to be the case for me, I've always had my Google Assistant set to English US. But when my iPhones region is set to Ireland (but the assistant set to US still), multi user support disappears. It might be a iPhone only issue.
    One other (probably silly) issue that popped into my head is that if you're in a room with 3-4 others and want to use Google Home you presumably say "OK Google" out loud to wake Google Home up? If that's the case won't all Android devices with Google Assistant / "OK google" set to listen when the screen is on also respond to the command? I can just imagine how annoying it would be to have 3-4 phones all trying to deliver the weather forecast at the same time along with Google Home or playing Highway to Hell from Spotify at the same time :p

Well originally only OK Google worked on phones, while "Hey Google" only worked on Google Home, so we just used Hey to avoid this issue. Plus Hey is easier to pronounce IMO.

Unfortunately now they are also rolling out Hey Google support to Android phones too, which is a pity.

However with multi-user support, at least it limits it a bit so only one persons phone might trigger, instead of 4. In practise, we haven't found the phones to actually trigger, their mics aren't as good as GHomes. It might be an easier for something like the Pixel Phone. But one solution might be to disable always listening on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Alas I've not been able to see this.

Here's where Im at.

GHome set up already.
    Android Smart Ultra with GHome linked.

Iphone no google footprint at all.
    So changed region on iphone to US
    Went to app store and d/led the GHome app
    Logged in as my gmail.
    I dont see any options for multi user anywhere.. :(

Ive attached what I see. Im not worried about the CC pin ;)

It makes me wonder if Im being penalised for starting off in Ireland region and now Im stung.

Good choice, keep an eye out for the CCA's if you want, I got mine for €15 earlier this year.

I don't see it on GHome or IFTTT, so I think you might want to replace it if you want to work with GH.

They seem to be. I've the HS110 which is the energy monitoring one.

When the TP-Link plugs first launched Wemo were in the lead as the TP-Links worked just with apps and not with IFTTT, GH, Alexa, etc. While Wemo did. However the TP Links caught up with widespread support now.

But also the Wemo have a fatal flaw IMO. If your electricity goes off, then they default to off. Which if it was connected to something like a fridge/freezer would be extremely annoying, a 30 second power outage could leave you with a puddle of water in the morning.

The TP-Links don't have this issue, they default to the last state after the power comes back on, which is much more sensible IMO.

Also the TP-Links are cheaper, while having decent support now.

Just fyi the TP Link HS110's are in the Amazon Black Friday sake at £19.99 if you're a Prime member, see TP-Link HS110 Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, No Hub Required, Control Your Devices from Anywhere (UK Plug) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IBUF48S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6WegAbWAFQXDF

Advertisement