Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrier to stop and see cars coming up driveway

Options
  • 21-11-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

How much for one of those electric lifting barriers or rising bollards.. Assuming I can do groundworks and cable pulling myself.

Dads rural house has 80m long driveway visible from the house. At the gate itself are high walls and trees. All delivery and visitors tend to drive in the gate and park around the house, howeve this means potential intruders, conmen etc can do the same. I would like to do a more secure solution..

One thing I had in mind is barrier 5m inside the gate. That way any visitor car is seen from the house and then the barrier can be raised.

I do not want the barrier at the gate as then you do not get to see the car and I think my elderly dad might get confused...ie. he cant see if someone is there or neot.. At least if the car is driven a bit inside the gate - he gets to see the car and allow it in or call for assistance if he does not recognize whose car or who just got out for walk.

Would this be a reasonable plan..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Rising bollarda can cause a lot of issues due to this damp country.

Are automatic gates out of the question?
    I would go with those if possible, with an audio and video intercom, whereby your father can see and converse with someone before he presses a button to open the gates.
    To give further piece of mind I would suggest perhaps CCTV with off site viewing to maybe family smart phones, also bear in mind an intercom unit can also be connected directly to smart phones as well, therefore a caller will get the impression that someone is home even when there is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

kub wrote: »

Are automatic gates out of the question?

Existing gateway is narrow and we get some welcome walking visitors - which we dont want to impede.. So thats why I was hoping to leave the existing gateway and just place a barrier one car length inside.

Now maybe there is a ram with a spring which will allow a pedestrian to push and walk in..

Advertisement