Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know about children passport

Options
  • 21-11-2017 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi there.
    Looking for a bit of advice. I’ll be applying for my 12 year olds passport soon.
    I just want to know if I can apply to have it issued under the surname he uses and not what’s on his birth certificate. He has been using this surname since he was a baby and doesn’t know it’s different on his cert?
    Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I believe there's a box on it that you tick if the name to be printed on the pass port is different to the name as it appears on the birth cert. You may need to ask the passport office though to confirm with them. I leave out my middle names so I have to tick the box but not too sure on the whole last name thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

SAHMOM wrote: »
    Hi there.
    Looking for a bit of advice. I’ll be applying for my 12 year olds passport soon.
    I just want to know if I can apply to have it issued under the surname he uses and not what’s on his birth certificate. He has been using this surname since he was a baby and doesn’t know it’s different on his cert?
    Tia.

The name on the passport is whatever is on the child's birth certificate. Does not matter if only part of the surname is in common usage, the entire name will be on the passport if that is what is on the certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Estrellita wrote: »
    The name on the passport is whatever is on the child's birth certificate. Does not matter if only part of the surname is in common usage, the entire name will be on the passport if that is what is on the certificate.

No, my entire name has never been on my passport. It wouldn't fit in reality, but it's never once gone on it and have never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Estrellita wrote: »

Not true, you can have a different name on passport to birth cert.

You will have to provide proof he's been using the other name day to day for at least two years or a deed poll cert to say it's been legally changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

January wrote: »
    Not true, you can have a different name on passport to birth cert.

You will have to provide proof he's been using the other name day to day for at least two years or a deed poll cert to say it's been legally changed.

What kind of proof. Would letters from his school or doctors do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

You can sign off the name you commonly use, but the official surnames have to be what they are on the birth certificate. Unless there has been some change that I am unaware of, I speak from personal experience. My children have two names on their birth certificate, I was informed I must put down both or they would not have their passports. I'm not ill-informed, it was how it had to be when my children's passports were done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have my maiden and my married surname on my passport but I had to send in birth cert and marraige cert to do it.
    I imagine letters won't be sufficient, it will have to be a document certifying the different surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

shesty wrote: »
    I have my maiden and my married surname on my passport but I had to send in birth cert and marraige cert to do it.
    I imagine letters won't be sufficient, it will have to be a document certifying the different surname.

He is 12 so I don’t have any official documents. I only have letters posted with his name from schools and doctors. I’ve tried calling passpnoffice but there’s no reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I had this issue when I was applying for my LOs passport earlier this year. Both our names (non hyphenated) are on her birth cert, but we wanted only her dad's name to be on the main page (we wanted her full name on the additional info page) as she will be going by her dad's name only on a day to day basis. Anyways, for this passport, because she was only 7 months old at the time we had to put her full name on the main page because it's what's on her birth cert AND she didn't have two years common usage on just her dad's name. When we get her next passport we will be able to drop my name from the main page because of common usage. Proof from GP/School/other formal sources is what I was told would be needed.

However, if your lad has a hyphenated second name then you will need to put the full name down as a hyphenated name is classed as one whole name.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

SAHMOM wrote: »
    He is 12 so I don’t have any official documents. I only have letters posted with his name from schools and doctors. I’ve tried calling passpnoffice but there’s no reply

A letter from a doctor and also the school (2 forms of documentary evidence) stating he's been using the name for at least 2 years should be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When I got my last one i had to send birth cert in.

My birth name is printed on another page in the passport.

Sates something like "X was born XXXXXXX "

Whats the big deal with the name? Does he not know who is real da is or something? He'll find out he was born another name as he gets older and needs to send in birth certs for other stuff etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

SAHMOM wrote:
    What kind of proof. Would letters from his school or doctors do?

Yes if they are over 2 years using this name. As they are not old enough to receive bills, the school is first choice for them.

Advertisement