Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Products for finishing or sealing timber and wood furniture

Options
  • 21-11-2017 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm not very knowledgeable about the wood working world so excuse my terminology if it's wrong.

I am looking for a water based polyurethane. From watching a few YouTube videos, mostly American based, I hear this mentioned a lot. Minwax being one of the brand names.
    Basically I'm looking for the Irish version of it. I am hoping someone could recommend a product for me.

I am also looking for something to seal painted timber. I painted an old table but surface is getting a bit worn and I would prefer to have a tougher finish.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Most hardware and paint shops will stock water based polyurethane, ask for fast drying wood varnish

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barjamhill

Most hardware and paint shops will stock water based polyurethane, ask for fast drying wood varnish

Thanks for that Tabby. I'll have a look at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

barjamhill wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not very knowledgeable about the wood working world so excuse my terminology if it's wrong.

I am looking for a water based polyurethane. From watching a few YouTube videos, mostly American based, I hear this mentioned a lot. Minwax being one of the brand names.
    Basically I'm looking for the Irish version of it. I am hoping someone could recommend a product for me.

I am also looking for something to seal painted timber. I painted an old table but surface is getting a bit worn and I would prefer to have a tougher finish.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Is there a reason you want a water based finish. ? I've tried them and wasn't very happy - they leave a slight 'rainbow' sheen on the surface. I know that professional makers occasional use them if they have no spray facilities and Hydrocote seems to be popular. Ronseal used to sell water based finishes in square cans but i don't see much of them now.An alternative is acrylic based finishes but i don't think they have the depth of finish that cellulose has,
    As for the painted surfaces you could use a shellac finish which will adhere to almost anything but just repainting is easier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barjamhill

recipio wrote: »
    Is there a reason you want a water based finish. ? I've tried them and wasn't very happy - they leave a slight 'rainbow' sheen on the surface. I know that professional makers occasional use them if they have no spray facilities and Hydrocote seems to be popular. Ronseal used to sell water based finishes in square cans but i don't see much of them now.An alternative is acrylic based finishes but i don't think they have the depth of finish that cellulose has,
    As for the painted surfaces you could use a shellac finish which will adhere to almost anything but just repainting is easier ?

Hi Recipio, thanks for your response. I took your advice and just repainted the table.

Just to try to explain, I had sanded off layers of old varnish, which had changed the colour from a pale pine colour to a dark orange. It was a cheap old piece but I don't like throwing things out so wanted to re-do it but keep the paler colour. I thought a water based would work better to keep the original timber colour. I'll into those products you recommended thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

barjamhill wrote: »
    Hi Recipio, thanks for your response. I took your advice and just repainted the table.

Just to try to explain, I had sanded off layers of old varnish, which had changed the colour from a pale pine colour to a dark orange. It was a cheap old piece but I don't like throwing things out so wanted to re-do it but keep the paler colour. I thought a water based would work better to keep the original timber colour. I'll into those products you recommended thanks.

Is it back to bare wood. ? Any of the 'fast drying' varnishes are likely to be water based and you can get them in all the hardware chains. For a really good job invest in a quality varnish brush -about 10 euro - it makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement