Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I never realized Sinead O'Connor had the voice she had.

• 21-11-2017 7:25pm

My girlfriend, who's Vietnamese, has been playing all her old music recently and "Nothing Compares 2U" is one of them.

I just can't believe I grew up not realising how well she could sing. I know she's been through horrible times and thought she was just well-known in Ireland because she's Irish. But that song is one of the most beautifully-sung songs ever, even of she didn't write it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, has a great voice for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Have a listen to her version of the Pogue's song, Haunted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Three babies is one of her finest pieces imo.

It was fantastic to listen to her while young and living in London, was very inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sinead has a savage voice. Seek out "She Moved Through The Fair"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

Listen to her sing the foggy dew, spine tingling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She says she ended up in a kind of a fist fight with Prince, God rest the little genius, over her subsequent outbursts.
    The mental picture of that always makes me smile!

The responses so far have been great. I'll definitely listen to every song posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

She did a great job on Elton John's "Sacrifice" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

She's amazing.. she worked with my brother on Albert Nobbs, the song on the credits, on new years eve that year she sang it live in the concert hall. She's such a lovely person too, zero confidence though in her abilities.
    Can't post a link but the song is called ' lay your head down. '

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I don't know much of her other stuff but her version of Nothing Compares 2 U is amazing and the video is striking too.

I think I remember reading or seeing an interview where she said something about how she had to learn how to sing in her own voice, her own accent and how difficult that is to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

cbyrd wrote: »
    She's amazing.. she worked with my brother on Albert Nobbs, the song on the credits, on new years eve that year she sang it live in the concert hall. She's such a lovely person too, zero confidence though in her abilities.
    Can't post a link but the song is called ' lay your head down. '

Lay Your Head Down https://g.co/kgs/sy7aAo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

She was on the Miriam O'Callaghan Saturday tv programme a good few years back. She looked wrecked and haggard during the interview and I was bracing myself for the worst when she was going to sing. . But she still had it. That voice is still there.
    She has some really great hits. Well worth a listen. Definitely one of my favourites.
    She was on with Jools Holland too in recent years. That gifted voice isn't confined to just the early stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I always thought she had a great voice.

Guess I'll have to start my own thread then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

She's phenoneminal. Tough hand to be dealt being bipolar in a horrible industry. People are still referring to her as mad for the ripping up the picture of the Pope incident, decades before was fashionable to have a go at the church for abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

My girlfriend, who's Vietnamese

How much did the shipping set you back :pac: :pac:
    Seriously though her range is amazing, and it hasn't changed a bit since nothing compares was released almost 30 years ago considering her daily routine of weed smoking and the the damage that would do to the vocal chords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sinead has a savage voice. Seek out "She Moved Through The Fair"

When it plays at the end of Michael Collins there's not a dry eye in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How much did the shipping set you back :pac: :pac:

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

She posted a harrowing video not too long back that she was in a really bad place & might be at the end. Hopefully she got some help. She was such a beautiful young woman as well as the voice. Dont know what happened to her if it was just mental issues or if someone did something to her. Shame though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Her version of She Moved Through The Fair is unbelievable.

I’d also recommend listening to her version of Silent Night. It’s stunning.

Her voice is amazing. I love a bit of Mandinka while driving too.

An incredible talent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She is/was unique. A natural gospel singer. A lost talent sadly. She should be filling venues world wide..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Thank you for hearing me (on you tube) really shows off her voice.

Just checking Spotify there. Check out her version of Nirvana’s All Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

She’s a brilliant singer with an exceptional talent. I genuinely hope she finds peace with herself

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Yes you have just linked to Mandinka, one of my favourites too. Listen to her all the time. Just listened to her last week, I think it was some concert in Spain/Portugal a few years ago, great voice and great range. Also check out her version of Dont cry for me Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Lay Your Head Down

That's my brother conducting and playing piano.. loads of navan heads in the audience.
    It always makes me well up that song. He wrote it with my mam!
    When they recorded it Sinead was in Sofia, I think. They were on Skype, my brother was in the kitchen in mams, she was in studio and we weren't allowed in for HOURS! No tea that day. But like someone else said, she was trying too hard, once he calmed her down and told her to sing like she used to she was just brilliant. To hear it done like that (we stood outside the kitchen window) it was surreal.. :)

• Advertisement

Now you've started me. :D

Headphones on, rooting through The Black album. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Her collaboration with The The is pretty cool. This from 1989s Mindbomb

https://youtu.be/ik3Dj6_RUWI

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

From 'In The Name Of The Father' just a stunning delivery by Sinead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-bBlbyzN6g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

She is /was a brilliant singer.

It's all the baggage she carries around with her that puts most people off. She's still banned from Saturday Night Live in the States for ripping up the photo of the pope. I'm not religious but I can see how her actions would be akin to setting fire to the national flag live on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Combination of film placement and song, but I normally find there is something in my eye when her version of "Thief of your Heart" from "In the Name of the Father" starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The voice is certainly still there 20 years later (2008)

and the studio version 87

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thank you peasant.
    She never fails to leave me wanting to hear more. I think she's incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

She has a stunning voice, no doubt.
    But when she used it to spout gobbledygook rather than sing beautifully, a lot of people lost interest or cringed in embarrassment.
    Pity.

Oh boy! "Raglan Road" with The Chieftans always gets me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

druss wrote: »
    Combination of film placement and song, but I normally find there is something in my eye when her version of "Thief of your Heart" from "In the Name of the Father" starts.

The anguish she conveys there is so heartbreaking and rousing at the same time.

She's a true artist, and a very troubled human. I hate it when people pile on her when she's dealing with something bad; it's a mental health issue and we like to pay lip service to mental health but it's in Sinead threads where it comes out what we really think of "them attention seekers".

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I did. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

her cover of "Gloomy Sunday" is amazing.....spine tingling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98LDN37-N3A

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

and another of my favourite Sinead songs

This is to Mother You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9P9kf4QZ2E

I think she's amazing, could listen to her all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Always brings me to the edge of tears.

Edit: beaten to it by mere seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Ipso wrote: »
    Have a listen to her version of the Pogue's song, Haunted.

It's lovely but not a patch on the original. Cáit O'Riordan's vocals suit the song and subject matter better, IMO. Whereas Sinéad made 'Nothing Compares 2 U' her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

strandroad wrote: »
    The anguish she conveys there is so heartbreaking and rousing at the same time.

She's a true artist, and a very troubled human. I hate it when people pile on her when she's dealing with something bad; it's a mental health issue and we like to pay lip service to mental health but it's in Sinead threads where it comes out what we really think of "them attention seekers".

Around a year ago or so she was really really seriously mentally ill and lashing out on social media in long rambling rants in public on an almost daily basis at some of the fathers of her children and her eldest son and other associated family members.
    She had been sectioned at the time I think.
    I could not understand why,even for the sake of her younger kids, she was not physically prevented from accessing Facebook.
    It was searingly painfull to watch.
    She was then reported missing a couple of times, turning up first in a hotel and then in a Garda station.
    I hope she’s well now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I don't know much of her other stuff but her version of Nothing Compares 2 U is amazing and the video is striking too.

I think I remember reading or seeing an interview where she said something about how she had to learn how to sing in her own voice, her own accent and how difficult that is to do.

For me, that's the best music video of all time. It's just so powerful, gets me evrytime. Yet it's also very simple. Brilliant.

About Nothing Compares 2 U... Prince wrote the song and the Sinead made it a hit, only without his permission. After, Prince was sore about it but invited her round to discuss it. They had a massive row and f'ed and blinded before Sinead stormed out, saying Prince was on the verge of throwing blows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

She's a big musical influence on John Grant who I LOVE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

"Fire on Babylon", about child abuse basically. Very powerful and creepy, but also quite a tune... big back in the 90s, on heavy rotation on MTV:

https://youtu.be/R29W_PvTT7M

The same director worked on Bjork's videos a lot, I remember having actual nightmares after her "Human Behaviour":

https://youtu.be/KDbPYoaAiyc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Sinead.....If ever there was an example of tortured but talented artist, its her. Fantastic voice....mad as a box of frogs. I wouldn't change a hair on her head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement