Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I never realized Sinead O'Connor had the voice she had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I just watched her live Mandinka performance. Sheer brilliance. Just a woman with a great vocal range, attitude and raw ralent. I actually shed a tear (again) watching it. These live performances are when i think shes at her best and when you see the real Sinead.
    She doesn't need anything else. No special effects or dancers or anything to "dress" her performance.

Sinead.....If ever there was an example of tortured but talented artist, its her. Fantastic voice....mad as a box of frogs. I wouldn't change a hair on her head.

I would love to see her find peace with herself and the world. She seems so very distressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Just listened to 'My Darling Child' and I'm bawling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

A brilliant voice. Such a shame she has had so many demons to deal with.

Anyone old enough to remember the Red, Hot and Blue album?
    She looks so different with a wig on - a nice close-up around 1:25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Sinead.....If ever there was an example of tortured but talented artist, its her. Fantastic voice....mad as a box of frogs. I wouldn't change a hair on her head.

The phrase " A Tortured Soul " always comes to mind when I see her name .

Beautiful voice , as others have said , hopefully one day she'll get peace of mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Sinead has so many songs that really give that goosebumps feel up the arms to the neck. Unreal talent and I get how her talent has been missed over controversy or through a want for her well being, she is is a legend and I hope has solice because she will be seen as one of the greats always. So I hope rejoiced right here and now, one of a living legend. She is so so good!!!

Take a look at Heroine too. It's the first song I ever heard her sing. I think its from the mid 80s and she co-wrote it with Edge from U2.

Thank you Ads by Google... for bringing up her music. I've enjoyed looking back at her stuff.. And I agree with the poster who mentioned Mandinka while driving... I played it far too loud two weeks ago as i drove up through Maynooth main street :-) But it's the only way to listen to that song!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She even does a quirky version of Abba's 'Chiquitita' complete with some funny adlibs of her own (the double-check of the milk) in the video.

She's one of those artists who you just want to hug and tell it will be alright. Phenomenal live, even on her not so great days. Mental illness is a bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Even "Take me to Church"shows her voice off so well.
    Check out her version of "Oh ro she do beath abhaile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

My girlfriend, who's Vietnamese, has been playing all her old music recently and "Nothing Compares 2U" is one of them.

I just can't believe I grew up not realising how well she could sing. I know she's been through horrible times and thought she was just well-known in Ireland because she's Irish. But that song is one of the most beautifully-sung songs ever, even of she didn't write it.

Really very true. Song makes me feel very emotional for some reason

Also props to her for being looking that pretty with a shaved head

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

I'd love to see a Sinead, Dolores and Lisa Hannigan song. Always loved her and while opinions differ there are some fab Cranberries songs. Lisa has a mesmerising voice. Heaps of talent here. Watching INXS right now so that's song choice 💖

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I love "Scorn not his simplicity" Her voice in that is surreal. Actually I love all her stuff really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Without a doubt the most talented and naturally gifted singer(male or female) that has ever come out of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Actual Living Legend from this place. The fact that she may go off the rails now and then just further legitimizes her standing as a actual proper cultural legend for me. She has unreal otherworldly gift of talent. Long may she reign, and she will. They'll be listening to her work decades from now, no doubt about it

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

She has a stunning voice, no doubt.
    But when she used it to spout gobbledygook rather than sing beautifully, a lot of people lost interest or cringed in embarrassment.
    Pity.
    Always felt the same and knew someone who had a bad experience of meeting her back in the mid 90's, but having seen her recent Dr.Phil interview it put all that into perspective and gave it context, to say the least. I mean I knew a few of the things she said happened her when young but had no idea the extent of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

Sinead O Connor has such talent...love The Emperor's new clothes and 4th and Vine...so many great songs too many to mention. She has done great gigs at Electric Picnic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Stunningly beautiful too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Don't know if it's been mentioned here but she was in a relationship with Peter Gabriel back in the eighties. Some beautiful duets like "in the blood of Eden" . She is fabulous alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm stunned at the positive responses here. It's such a bloody cynical place I was expecting the opposite.

I've always loved Sinead's music. Her voice is my all-time favourite, so clear, so beautiful and full of emotion. I never tire of listening to her sing.

Thank you Sinead for all the beauty you brought into my life and I hope you find peace and happiness.

Here's a portion of that interview I mentioned. It's a harrowing listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

"This is a rebel song". If you haven't heard it ,go have a listen.

Only a woman, maybe only Sinead ,could deliver it ..it's a mix vulnerability infused with the strength of heartfelt honesty.

Mandika is great one to look back on, she rocks in that one, Molly Malone is another shout out, other's have mentioned Irish covers,don't think that has been mentioned so far.

She does bring something new to a song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

juneg wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned here but she was in a relationship with Peter Gabriel back in the eighties. Some beautiful duets like "in the blood of Eden" . She is fabulous alright

I think her vocals make that song. Without her it would be a fairly standard Gabriel track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I couldn't agree more. She's a living legend and one of the most talented people to have ever come from this island of ours.
    There's some kind of raw energy to her and I always get the sense that she is exactly who she is.

There's no pretence, no filter of PR and marketing and often even no make up. She's had a lot of trauma and horrible stuff to deal with in her life, but it didn't break her and it always strikes me that she's extremely strong.

She's Sinead O'Connor - legend!

Have a look for Mandinka from the 1989 Grammys. The show looks starchy, dated and very much like what you'd expect US television to look like in 1989 and she just comes out on stage and is just mind blowing. The performance juxtaposed with the Grammys just looks like someone teleported in from another era and place entirely.

She's a timeless artist and I think really one of the absolute greats of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Record company: So Sinead, we're going to try to market you in way th...
    Sinead: *shaves head*.

Pure Rory Gallagher attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Without a doubt the most talented and naturally gifted singer(male or female) that has ever come out of Ireland

I'll respectfully disagree and say Luke Kelly is.
    Sinead singing..Foggy Dew...Scorn not his simplicity and Raglan Road are some of the best versions of these song bar Luke.
    In my humble opinion Luke is a God of Irish music and Sinead is a Goddess.
    And listening to Sineads "scorn not" some fcuks started cutting onions.

Perhaps most people know, but Scorn Not was written by Phil Coulter in the first few month's of his son's life who was born with Down Syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Perhaps most people know, but Scorn Not was written by Phil Coulter in the first few month's of his son's life who was born with Down Syndrome.

It strikes a personal cord with me.
    Luke and Sinead sing it with the passion and meaning it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Her collaboration with The The is pretty cool. This from 1989s Mindbomb

https://youtu.be/ik3Dj6_RUWI
    One of my favourite songs ever - it's stunning.
    Neyite wrote: »
    I love "Scorn not his simplicity" Her voice in that is surreal. Actually I love all her stuff really.
    Better than Luke Kelly's version in my opinion. Always causes something to be in my eye...

And yeah, The Foggy Dew with The Chieftains is amazing. So haunting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Her tracks on Massive Attack's 100th Window, especially A Prayer for England, are worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

She was the only one of about 30 artists who refused to sing a Dylan tune that night.

I love Sinead and admire her talent but there’s a time and a place to make a point and that was neither..

When she came and sang War in anger it was more then a little cringy. I felt sorry for her but it was all of her own making.

That said, I’ll bet Dylan didn’t give a flying fluck.

Saw her sing in Marley park with Don Baker some years back. She walked out on stage in a scruffy hoody and a look of “I’d like to be anywhere else but here”.

If Marley park had a roof she would have torn it off the place.

Incredible talent..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Popeleo wrote: »
    A brilliant voice. Such a shame she has had so many demons to deal with.

Anyone old enough to remember the Red, Hot and Blue album?
    She looks so different with a wig on - a nice close-up around 1:25.

Just watched the video for Take Me To Church where she wears a red wig. Looks gorgeous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

She’s a phenomenal singer, especially when she’s singing Irish songs. Her voice is haunting, light but clear and ethereal.

You know when you hear someone singing and you know they’re Irish from the style. That’s Sinead 100%. She’s the standard for all Irish singers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

https://youtu.be/0l54pvTyUcc

From The Royle Family when nana dies.

I must have seen the episode at least 10 times and it still hits me right in the feels, due in no small part to Sineads voice.

https://youtu.be/0l54pvTyUcc

From The Royle Family when nana dies.

I must have seen the episode at least 10 times and it still hits me right in the feels, due in no small part to Sineads voice.

Dusty in here isn't it? Some of its got in my eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

My girlfriend, who's Vietnamese, has been playing all her old music recently and "Nothing Compares 2U" is one of them.

I just can't believe I grew up not realising how well she could sing. I know she's been through horrible times and thought she was just well-known in Ireland because she's Irish. But that song is one of the most beautifully-sung songs ever, even of she didn't write it.
    Listen to her sing foggy dew, I think it was for Michael Collins film.

Cuase of this thread I've been listening to Sinead all morning..

It's even started getting me in the Christmas mood listening to silent night..

My daughter said she woke up hearing it and felt Christmassy too..

Good vibes all round this house this morning..

Thanks Ads By Google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

True.. I never thought of it that way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The wolf is getting married is an incredible song. Amazing voice

Sinead O' Connor definitely sits on that crazy-genius scale. She's one of the best singers of the past few decades, but all that talent goes hand-in-hand with crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

She was very much a big deal. World famous for a reason. She is a brilliant singer.

valoren wrote: »
    She was very much a big deal. World famous for a reason. She is a brilliant singer.

A lot of people mocked her for ripping up the picture of the pope that time. But, truthfully, that was a huge cultural impact on the Western World. That shows her significance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Astonishing voice, I wish her and her family well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

As another poster said I’m pleasantly stunned at the positive posts here -she has an absolutely stunning, haunting voice, but so so damaged mentally which is sad to see.

Went to see her in the Point back in 97/98. She blew the roof off - amazing gig altogether.

Remember seeing her in Dublin zoo with her kids a few years later - in her priest uniform!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

Always thought she was amazing and genuinely felt sorry for all the c*ap she went through with the media. Would we have listened to her story of abuse and bipolar at 20....I don't think so. She waited until the world was ready. Loved watching her on the late late with Gaybo...he was always on her side and tried to give her a platform to explain herself. Saw the show when she became a priest, gaybo asked why she had the microphone and she said she would sing a song and went on to sing a prayer (trying to remember which one it was). She sang it amazingly. I related a lot to her cos we were/still are the same age and had children at the same time. I became a housewife and she became a superstar...amazing women and I wish her love, happiness and peace. She deserves it after all the joy she has brought us all with her voice and made us question the world with her outspokenness.

The only criticism I'd have of Her is that she inspired Miley Cyrus.

Bad Sinead!!!! ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Incredible, incredible singer, musician and song writer. A world class talent we should hold dear. Love her nuttiness too. Should be a national treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

flatface wrote: »
    Incredible, incredible singer, musician and song writer. A world class talent we should hold dear. Love her nuttiness too. Should be a national treasure.

her 'nuttiness' isnt fun, its just pain, deep pain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I mentioned this in the misheard song lyrics one time I think, but for a while I used to believe one of the lyrics in Nothing Compares To You was "Girl you better try and have fun no matter what you do, so here's a flute." The verse was about living without her fella so I thought she was given a flute to masturbate with. I swear down I genuinely thought that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement