Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lewis Hamilton went vegan after watching this documentary

• 21-11-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Lewis Hamilton went vegan after watching a documentary called What The Health
    Do you think he has put his health at risk by not eating any meat or dairy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd imagine he puts his health more at risk by driving around a track at 200mph every second weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Are you a Vegan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yum, this thread makes me long for a big tasty quarter pounder with cheese and bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

jacksie66 wrote: »
    That documentary is ridiculous. It claims eating a few eggs a day is the same as smoking a box of fags. Even has a clip of a woman serving fried cigarettes to her kids. Pure militant vegan nonsense.

Also that thread name is pure click bait.

You won't believe post #5!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, if you're that concerned about his health, I'm sure you can find him a video by the Irish meat industry that will sway his views back to the benefits of eating meat, dairy and eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yum, this thread makes me long for a big tasty quarter pounder with cheese and bacon.

Thank you! We really couldn't have a thread about vegetarians or vegans without this post. I think it's a law of the internet at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are you a Vegan?

Well, it is 12 minutes since the OP posted and they have not indicated that they are vegan, so the OP is not vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

bazz26 wrote: »

Veal burger with fois gras and ortolans for me, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

is that the one that equates an egg to 5 cigarettes, ie a load of bollocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I gave up veganism after watching this documentary:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Personally I think Mr Hamilton is an obnoxious little boll1x and couldn't care less what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭job seeker

Ipso wrote: »
    You won't believe post #5!!

Chat with local vegans in your area..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The combination of snapback cap and man bun make it hard for me to take that chap seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lewis Hamilton is an insult to vegans everywhere. His very namesake embodies the slaughter of pigs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

On a vaguely related note, that trolling campaign by the national dairy council is amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

How much pesticide is on delicious cow and pig meat? How much is on delicious kfc meat?

Now! How muc is on your precious vegetable? As a vegan you are eating more cancer!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shenshen wrote: »
    Thank you! We really couldn't have a thread about vegetarians or vegans without this post. I think it's a law of the internet at this point.

Jesus, would you get over yourself and lighten up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Looked back through the OP's post history. He's a health Nazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A man who earns tens of millions a year as a professional sports person, most likely has teams of health professionals looking after his fitness and diets for years ,decided a YouTube documentary would change his life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Always best to go to work on an egg, as they used to say:

One egg has only 75 calories but 7 grams of high-quality protein, 5 grams of fat, and 1.6 grams of saturated fat, along with iron, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids. The egg is a powerhouse of disease-fighting nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin.

The views of someone that drives around around in circles is easily forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Woah

WELL IF LEWIS HAMILTON DID IT

GEE WHIZZ

I DON'T EVEN NEED TO USE MY BRAIN TO THINK ABOUT IT

I'LL COPY LEWIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Always best to go to work on an egg, as they used to say:

One egg has only 75 calories but 7 grams of high-quality protein, 5 grams of fat, and 1.6 grams of saturated fat, along with iron, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids. The egg is a powerhouse of disease-fighting nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin.

The views of someone that drives around around in circles is easily forgotten.

Just out of interest ... what would be poor quality protein ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Woah

WELL IF LEWIS HAMILTON DID IT

GEE WHIZZ

I DON'T EVEN NEED TO USE MY BRAIN TO THINK ABOUT IT

I'LL COPY LEWIS
    Dont worry....your condition is nothing a 12 oz steak wont cure:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You need have no concern about Lewis Hamilton's health.

He is as fit as a butchers dog (if you'll forgive the expression).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Just out of interest ... what would be poor quality protein ?

Some plant-based protein sources such as grains, beans, vegetables, and nuts often lack one or more of the essential amino acids. Meat (and egg) based usually have a wider range of amino acids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Collie D wrote:
    I'd imagine he puts his health more at risk by driving around a track at 200mph every second weekend

Not really. You are more likely to die on a golf course than in a Formula One car these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ElivnZR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

chicorytip wrote: »
    Collie D wrote:

Not really. You are more likely to die on a golf course than in a Formula One car these days.

That's would probably be true because there's only 20 odd formula one drivers but how many people around the older play golf? Hundreds of thousands? Millions

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hamilton is just an attention seeker.

What's he gonna say next is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If he's done his research then he is not endangering his health.

However:
    It is not possible to live on a vegan diet and not need supplements.
    Vegan diets are high in air miles and therefore environmentally unsound.
    Vegetarianism is as far as anyone need go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, it is 12 minutes since the OP posted and they have not indicated that they are vegan, so the OP is not vegan.
    Probably worn out from lack of good healthy animal protein? Waiting to recover a bit of typing strength?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's obvious what you're at OP, but it's pointless, we're coming for you.

tur77.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That documentary was ridiculous. A load of sh*te.

Some people get so easily swayed by these types of documentaries. I don't get it.

And I say this as someone that doesn't eat meat... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

kylith wrote: »

However:

My sister is vegan and refuses to take B12 supplements. She says she's "grand". I've had to get shots recently due to low B12 (not diet related) but she still won't listen to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

chicorytip wrote: »
    Not far off. Long gone are the days of regular mayhem, death and injury in F1. I remember watching it with my dad as a kid in the 70's and crashes and fiery death, or in the case of Niki Laura, fiery death? Fcuk you, were a regular occurrence. Oh and overtaking and drivers with panache and character, not macrobiotic eating midgets with a soulectomy, where pit lane comms are often ore interesting than the processions races. Ditto of the days of Group B rallying, where the men were men - or women like Michelle Mouton, a giant of a driver. Ovaries of steel - and cars were dangerous.

Going further back... Tazio Nouvalari. Being healthy. Earlier.
    faba438890b13a34927cf1933e746420--vintage-italy-vintage-racing.jpg

kylith wrote: »
    With the money on his arse, you can be sure he's not K, or at least not endangering his revenue stream.
    However:
    Vegan diets are high in air miles and therefore environmentally unsound.
    Vegetarianism is as far as anyone need go.
    This + 1000. Vegetarianism? Cool and a healthy diet. Veganism? Grey area health wise, though clearly better than Chinner dinners washed down with "diet" Coke. Still I have no issue with Veganism itself. I think of it like Electric cars, great, but too many of the drivers of electric cars? God save me from the atomic powered humourless, disapproving and anally retentive fanatics of both camps.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OP believes every piece of woo out there going by his post history. He reminds me of a guy I met once who tried to convince me plants were better for me cos sure look at the size of bulls and all they eats is grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I haven't seen the documentary but why all the negativity towards him for making this change? Why do people insist on vegetarianism and veganism on being acts of pretentiousness?

In reality;
    (1) meat production is one of the largest contributors to climate change
    (2) slaughtering animals for food is unnecessarily cruel
    (3) one can live a perfectly healthy life as a vegetarian/vegan and often consumption of meat is the direct cause of many health issues inlcuding cancer.
    (4) Meat production is an extremely inefficient use of land, energy and resources such as water in a world with ever increasing population

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

job seeker wrote: »
    Chat with local vegans in your area..

They are easy to identify, sunken eyes, bad skin underweight and will be preaching some hippy crap to anyone who will listen. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The vast majority of intelligent animals are meat eaters. The plant eaters are almost always food for same. A bit "trolly"? Yeah, but not far off the truth. Humans became what we are because of a switch from a near exclusively plant based diet to one that included meat. Otherwise we would have remained an odd short arsed bipedal ape with big flat teeth and a fat belly in Africa.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    I haven't seen the documentary but why all the negativity towards him for making this change? Why do people insist on vegetarianism and veganism on being acts of pretentiousness?
    Because E people have found through experience that they usually are acts of preachy pretentiousness, with a side order of holier than thou ballsology thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Lewis Hamilton has all the charm and charisma of a robot that has fallen into a megablender and doesn't realise it's dead yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

In reality;
    (1) meat production is one of the largest contributors to climate change
    (2) slaughtering animals for food is unnecessarily cruel
    (3) one can live a perfectly healthy life as a vegetarian/vegan and often consumption of meat is the direct cause of many health issues inlcuding cancer.
    (4) Meat production is an extremely inefficient use of land, energy and resources such as water in a world with ever increasing population

Probably because of the amount of preachy vegans who think that everyone else is going to have the same life changing epiphany they had after watching some bollocks YouTube documentary. I'm not saying you're coming across that way, that's just what tends to annoy a lot of people about vegans.

1) Fair point, and we do eat too much meat. What happens if we all just stop though? What do we do with all the animals? Would sustainable farmibg methods not be viable?

2) Nature is unnecessarily cruel. Our bodies get more from a mixed and balanced diet. As people mentioned already, protein availability from plant sources is a problem.

3) One certainly can as a vegetarian, but I've yet to see compelling evidence that one can as a vegan. YouTube documentaries and anecdotes are not compelling evidence. Consumption of too much meat is linked to cancer, sure, but then consumption of too much of a lot of things can be bad for you. The key is balance.

4) Meat is also a great source of nutrition for the same growing population though. Again, sustainable farming and balanced diets seem to me to be a more reasonable solution than going all out vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I haven't seen the documentary but why all the negativity towards him for making this change?

Because it's boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't overly care what Lewis Hamilton eats and his vegan or non vegan diet is probably very healthy. However he really isn't the sharpest tool in the box. I found it very amusing when he started explaining how is vegan diet much better for the environment and how that influenced his decision. The same man is constantly travelling around in a private jet.

And yes I am a bitter Ferrari fan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

stimpson wrote: »
    I gave up veganism after watching this documentary:

When I grow up I wanna go to Bovine University.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A vegan? Was that before or after he was eating a pussycat doll every night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Probably because of the amount of preachy vegans who think that everyone else is going to have the same life changing epiphany they had after watching some bollocks YouTube documentary. I'm not saying you're coming across that way, that's just what tends to annoy a lot of people about vegans.
    Again, I haven't watched this particular documentary, and it could well be complete bollocks, but I think it would be unfair to dismiss any documentary on the subject as such without fair analysis of the facts (or fiction) they present.
    1) Fair point, and we do eat too much meat. What happens if we all just stop though? What do we do with all the animals? Would sustainable farmibg methods not be viable?

Well clearly the whole world wouldn't stop eating meat at once so I don't think there would be an issue there with loads of farmers left with a bunch of unusable livestock on their hands. In such a world, I guess farmers would switch to crop farming in the long run.
    2) Nature is unnecessarily cruel. Our bodies get more from a mixed and balanced diet. As people mentioned already, protein availability from plant sources is a problem.

I take your point there, nature is cruel and the world is littered with carnivore species. It's worth considering that as the dominant species on the planet and no longer as hunter gatherers, we should have far less dependency on meat as we once did, where food sources may have been more scarce.

It's certainly not impossible to replace the protein requirements, not so much as some would have you believe.
    3) One certainly can as a vegetarian, but I've yet to see compelling evidence that one can as a vegan. YouTube documentaries and anecdotes are not compelling evidence. Consumption of too much meat is linked to cancer, sure, but then consumption of too much of a lot of things can be bad for you. The key is balance.

I'm not a vegan but I don't see why we couldn't go without dairy and eggs. Seems to me these are very easily replaced.
    4) Meat is also a great source of nutrition for the same growing population though. Again, sustainable farming and balanced diets seem to me to be a more reasonable solution than going all out vegan.

I guess reasonable depends on your worldview. I'm for a future where sea stocks are not depleted to the point of many species' extinction and where climate change hasn't gone past the point of no return due to our overconsumption. I don't know exactly what is required to make this happen but I suspect based on research that I've read that the changes people would have to make to their lifestyles are far more drastic than the majority would be comfortable with.

Do you think people would step up to the challenge or act selfishly when given the choice? In this, and in most things, people tend to act selfishly where they can get away with it and it only helps their cause if the popular opinion is that they are doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well clearly the whole world wouldn't stop eating meat at once so I don't think there would be an issue there with loads of farmers left with a bunch of unusable livestock on their hands. In such a world, I guess farmers would switch to crop farming in the long run.
    Not all land is suitable for growing crops, especially as is seen in this country, upland, rocky terrain.
    I'm not a vegan but I don't see why we couldn't go without dairy and eggs. Seems to me these are very easily replaced.

I'd think that dairy and eggs would be seen as better than eating meat. After all neither causes any harm to the animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Again, I haven't watched this particular documentary, and it could well be complete bollocks, but I think it would be unfair to dismiss any documentary on the subject as such without fair analysis of the facts (or fiction) they present.

Documentaries aren't a great primary source for stuff like this, IMO. You need years of large scale research to really understand the effects of various diets, and I highly doubt findings as sognificant as this documentary is claiming would go under the radar.

Fair point, but even long term, how do you convince those farmers to just give up their livelihood and switch to something else? I don't disagree at all that our current farming methods are unsustainable, I just don't see a complete u-turn to veganism as the solution.

I take your point there, nature is cruel and the world is littered with carnivore species. It's worth considering that as the dominant species on the planet and no longer as hunter gatherers, we should have far less dependency on meat as we once did, where food sources may have been more scarce.

We definitely should have less dependency on meat, and it's something we should be working towards, no argument there from me.
    It's certainly not impossible to replace the protein requirements, not so much as some would have you believe.

What are the costs of replacing them? Is it really a viable solution? I'm genuinely not sure on this point.

What do we replace them with? Do the replacements have the same benefits? Personally I'd be quote happy to replace them in my diet but I don't see any options to that are currently widely available.

I guess reasonable depends on your worldview. I'm for a future where sea stocks are not depleted to the point of many species' extinction and where climate change hasn't gone past the point of no return due to our overconsumption. I don't know exactly what is required to make this happen but I suspect based on research that I've read that the changes people would have to make to their lifestyles are far more drastic than the majority would be comfortable with.

I'd like to see that future as well, I'm just not convinced veganism is going to play as big of a part in any potential solution as some might claim. Except for the fish thing, I suppose not eating fish would help with fish stocks to be fair.
    Do you think people would step up to the challenge or act selfishly when given the choice? In this, and in most things, people tend to act selfishly where they can get away with it and it only helps their cause if the popular opinion is that they are doing nothing wrong.

Do you step up to the challenge? Do you avoid the use of electricity? Are you posting this from a sustainably produced device? Drive a car? It's not easy to live in the modern world and not do something that harms the earth. I'm not trying to be a smart ass either, it's a genuine problem and I don't know what we're going to do about it, this is getting off topic and I'm veering into rambling to myself now though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement