Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can you really do when you have a bad teacher

Options
  • 21-11-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

my accounting teacher is really bad and there is only one accounting teacher in my entire school and he is forcing my whole class to do ordinary .We are not even a quarter way through the leaving cert accounting syllabus i was thinking of getting grinds but it is too expensive in my area.My teacher barely ever shows up to class he comes three times a week max. he is always late and he spends too long on a single question and gets frustrated when no one understands it.I told my dad and he talked to the principal and she said there is unfortunately nothing they can do about it. Is there anyway i can get him fired or get the board of management involved the whole class feels the same way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Cookie201 wrote: »
    my accounting teacher is really bad and there is only one accounting teacher in my entire school and he is forcing my whole class to do ordinary .We are not even a quarter way through the leaving cert accounting syllabus i was thinking of getting grinds but it is too expensive in my area.My teacher barely ever shows up to class he comes three times a week max. he is always late and he spends too long on a single question and gets frustrated when no one understands it.I told my dad and he talked to the principal and she said there is unfortunately nothing they can do about it. Is there anyway i can get him fired or get the board of management involved the whole class feels the same way

Cookie201, you need to make a formal complaint in writing to the Principal and/or Board of Management. It is not true to say a Principal can do nothing about a teacher that is not performing the basics of their job. A poor performing teacher can now be reported to the Teaching Council. This is a lengthy process and it may not help your case but it may help the students who are coming up the line.

Regarding grinds, in my area many teachers volunteer to provide grinds on a regular basis to students who could other wise not afford to receive them. This is done through the St. Vincents dePaul. You could try and contact them to see if they do something similar.

Best of luck. Your determination to succeed will get you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No teacher can 'force' you to take a particular level.
    The constitution says parents are the primary educators.
    Get your dad to tell the principal that you want to attempt the higher level course and expect the teacher to teach it.

You can complain to the teaching council
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Fitness-to-Teach/Complaints-about-Registered-Teachers/Making-a-Complaint/

But you'll have to get the school to investigate it first!

Get your dad to Write a letter to the parents council and board of management in the school. Any meetings would need to be followed up with an email to get a record.

It probably won't get solved while you are in school so don't expect a speedy resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

Cookie201 wrote: »

My teacher is the opposite. We all have to do higher as she is the only accounting teacher in the school and she won't teach ordinary. She comes over to us and asks questions the odd time but half the class haven't a clue what's going on. I understand all of the management questions but none of the financial questions. I have told her before If I was stuck on something and others in the class have too and she just says "we will work on it" from which you may have gathered never happens. Unfortunately, the answer is no you can't get a teacher fired and the board of management aren't going to do anything either no matter how you feel. I would recommend you attend grinds maybe outside your area or take a look online at Studyhub which I find very good. Hope this helps x

Advertisement