Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Conundrum

Options
  • 21-11-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭

Right folks here’s the thing. I can play St Andrews in February the only thing is using mats. I can possibly play there instead during the summer, not using any mats but it’s maybe 60/40 whereas February is 100%.

What would you choose??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I wouldn't play anywhere off mats to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'd roll the dice on summer personally. That would be my preference anyway as I'd want my first round there to be when the course is in top condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Mats no way, play them at home and hate with a passion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

I have only played there once and it was off mats. I have to say it didn't detract from the experience and nobody in our group went away disappointed.

You will be kicking yourself if you wait for the summer and that game falls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Why not both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

100% summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

First Up wrote: »
    Why not both?

It’s a once only offer so kinda either or

slingerz wrote:
    It’s a once only offer so kinda either or

Tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

First Up wrote: »
    Tough one.

No it isn't. Summer all the way

callaway92 wrote:
    No it isn't. Summer all the way

But the summer game is not guaranteed. A bird in the hand etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

St Andrews is not Augusta in that if you want to play it it is reasonably easy to do.

I would avoid the mats and winter and gamble on the summer. It may be a 60/40 chance but I would say playing in winter off mats is only a 60% enjoy ability factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Play it - it's not a one shot deal, you can always go back and play it in summer and then you'll have had the experience of playing it, which may help make any subsequent round all the more enjoyable.

If you are going to play it, I'd recommend a DivotEnd, rather than a mat......golf off mats may be pants, but imo it's better than no golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've played it off mats

Have to say, I'd forgotten I played off mats till you mentioned it. Just remember that I played St Andrews :D

Anyway, mats are only off the fairways, so just hit it in the rough and you'll be grand :)

Advertisement