Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of replacing power shower with electric shower

Options
  • 21-11-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Got a quote for replacing our power shower downstairs with a triton t90sr 9kw silent pumped electric shower we purchased online and it seems very pricey but maybe that's the going rate.

He said he would need to get some yoke as we have 2 electrical showers upstairs and he said they can't be used at the same time otherwise fuse will blow up or something so that's around €150. Electrician said he can fit in electrical shower plus install a new ECOcord MODEL HTP ventilation (we purchased that online so it just needs installing) and he said everything will come to between €550-650 depending on labour but he said might take him half the day. Is that amount about right or is that steep?

MOD NOTE: Moving this to Electrical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

All sounds legit.

My brother in law is an electrician who I consulted when I wanted to do something similar. He said the current load is too high and so some kind of interlock switch is required to prevent two power showers running simultaneously.

I have previously installed an electrical shower myself (in a previous home) and it can involve a bit of messing around. That said it is not rocket science.

Always worth asking if he can do any better on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

boege wrote: »
    All sounds legit.

My brother in law is an electrician who I consulted when I wanted to do something similar. He said the current load is too high and so some kind of interlock switch is required to prevent two power showers running simultaneously.

I have previously installed an electrical shower myself (in a previous home) and it can involve a bit of messing around. That said it is not rocket science.

Always worth asking if he can do any better on price.

Ok cheers was just making sure. Electrical shower the way to go for downstairs especially in spring and summer where can just have an instant shower and not have to wait for the boiler to heat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bite his hand off. I'd charge 500 for the installation plus 120 for the priority switch.

It's usually cheaper for the tradesman to supply the materials. I only remove 200 if the client supplies the shower. I'm sure you paid a lot more than that for the shower. Also you don't have a contract with the electrictrican for the shower. If he supplied the shower he'd be the one you'd ring if something we wrong.

Edit: my price would be just to install the shower. It wouldn't include the extra work for the ventilation.

More important than the price is to make sure that you get a good electrician. He needs to issue you with a cert for this work. It's important to get the cert

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bite his hand off. I'd charge 500 for the installation plus 120 for the priority switch.

It's usually cheaper for the tradesman to supply the materials. I only remove 200 if the client supplies the shower. I'm sure you paid a lot more than that for the shower. Also you don't have a contract with the electrictrican for the shower. If he supplied the shower he'd be the one you'd ring if something we wrong.

Yeah shower was just under €300. Will get the ball rolling. Thanks for the advice:)

Advertisement